UKC

Windy Buttress: the Cave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BlownAway 11 Feb 2010
Just talking with a friend on the phone and he jolted old memories of the shortcut back onto Windy Ledge after climbing a route, the old V Diff classic that is Tiger Trot - juggy, polished and exposed traversing often with rucksacks on or sometimes after a session in the Moon.

This led me on to memories of crawling through the cave that splits the buttress, bringing one out the other side. Does anyone still do it these days? It was always pitch black (always sans torches) and IIRC you had to take right turn.... Great fun but has it been lost?

Phil
 jon 11 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

I heard tell of a certain 'instructor' (not mentioning name and establishment, but Brian may know), who would send a group of kids in one end, no lights or anything - then send his enormous hairy dog in the other way...
 JimS 13 Feb 2010
dont fancy tiger trots these days but used it regularly 25 years ago. I have been through the cave with a friend last year stil fun with no lights. used to be more exciting when the blasting sirens went off when you were in it
 Ropeboy 15 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

Hi Phil, has Jim been in touch? His daughter hadn't forwarded your email when I last spoke to her.

I've been through the cave a few years ago, it goes on a bit further than you like when it's dark.

J
OP BlownAway 15 Feb 2010
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to phil kelly)
>
> Hi Phil, has Jim been in touch? His daughter hadn't forwarded your email when I last spoke to her.

Hi John. Yes, Jim called yesterday. The book wasn't what we originally thought it was, but we both thought it interesting nonetheless. Thanks for your help.

> I've been through the cave a few years ago, it goes on a bit further than you like when it's dark.

Hey, it's all the better when it's dark - not sure about Jon's story of sending dogs in the other end though. That's just cruel!

Phil
 Stig 15 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly: While we're on this theme - where is the cave that Moffat describes traversing in in the rain in Revelations?
OP BlownAway 15 Feb 2010
In reply to Stig: Tom's Cave? Doesn't he give it away in the book?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...