UKC

Wicklow Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teapot 15 Feb 2010
I am planning a trip with my wife and baby to Ireland at some point in the summer. Can anyone recommend a nice small cottage somewhere between Wicklow and Dublin. The plan is to use it as a base for exploring the area. I will be nipping out for mornings or evenings at Wicklow, so having other amenities/attractions in the area is vital.

Or does someone have a better suggestion for a location in Ireland with bouldering , nice short walks, visit attractions etc.

Any info much appreciated
 no feet 15 Feb 2010
In reply to teapot: try discoverireland.ie, never used it but it might be of use. The midge can get nasty in Wicklow during the summer though if there's no wind and it's overcast, which is not unusual...

The westcoast is really nice as well - beautiful landscape, a decent amount of bouldering (but not as developed/as much as wicklow) and other things to do as well. Check out theshortspan.com for a bouldering guide to Ireland. Counties Kerry, Clare, Galway and Donegal are all great places, but the weather in the west is also dodgier (particularly Donegal) and they do take longer to get to...
 Frank4short 15 Feb 2010
In reply to teapot: Seeing as it's just down the road i don't know of any rental cottages per sae as we usually just go from home. However if you were to start by googling for rental cottages in Laragh you won't go far wrong. This is a village about 3 miles from glendalough & situated in the heart of the wicklow mountains but easy enough to access & without too much of the inbred miserable population traits you get in a lot of places in wicklow.
OP teapot 15 Feb 2010
In reply to dtormey:

Cheers

My wife fancies Galway- I will check out the website you mentioned regarding bouldering thanks
OP teapot 15 Feb 2010
In reply to Frank4short:

Thanks - i will check out Laragh- cheers. Are the Wicklow mountains picturesque? Or would you recommend heading over to the West coast - I guess the bouldering is less important than the pleasant location for my wife and baby.
 no feet 15 Feb 2010
In reply to teapot: personally, provided that you can accept the risk re weather, I'd go with the west coast, but then I live in dublin and go to Wicklow most weekends, so it may just be over exposure...
In reply to teapot: Glendalough is beautiful, if a bit of a honeypot.
pooh 15 Feb 2010
In reply to teapot: Have been to Roundwood a few times, Glendalough is not to far and the Powerscourt Waterfall is worth a visit, plus in Roundwood you can have a pint in one of the pubs to claim to be the highest one in Eire. Plus for the little one Bray is just up the road. My lot want me to take them this year so if you come across anything good please let me know
daveoc 16 Feb 2010
In reply to Stew.G: glendalough would be a great spot.. or the burren.. Galway is great,maybe staying out round connemara, letterfrack area
pooh 16 Feb 2010
In reply to daveoc: Years ago my family (dads side, that lot are from Enniscorthy ) used to have a little one thatched cottage in Galway. Have many happy memory there. But it was sold to a German couple who moved in, removed the thatch and fitted central heating, She became pregnant and they went back to Germany, was cutted with what they had done.
OP teapot 17 Feb 2010
In reply to teapot:

Cheers all

Looks like we are going with Glendalough/Wicklow. Still on the hunt for a nice 2 bed cottage for a week, ideally as close to the bouldering as possible.

There are some possibles on discover ireland website, but if anyone knows of any lovely cottages in decent condition, then that would be good. If it was kitted out with wireless broadband, then that would be a bonus! (Or maybe I will leave the laptop and work in England!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...