UKC

Pen-y-Fan Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevez 19 Feb 2010
Maybe a bit early to ask as it only snowed yesterday, but we have had freezing conditions up high all week, but has anyone been on the NE Face yet? Thinking of doing Central Gully or Central Rib at some time this weekend.
shunty 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:
the webcam shows a lot of new snow down at the car park, but likewise i'd like to know what its like higher up. Probably slushy and not consolidated just yet. Anyway I may go up tomorrow and have a look.
OP stevez 19 Feb 2010
In reply to shunty:

Likewise, not sure whether it'll be slushy though, currently below freezing in Sennybridge with another frost forecast tonight, so if you get out early it could be mega!
 Mark Salter 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez: RAC Corner was thin but in when I drove past on Monday, so there should be hard turf and some ice higher on Pen y Fan
 Jones 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:
Just got back from PYF.
Soloed Far Right Hand Gully. In decent condition, good snow been blown onto the face. Getting through the Cornice at the top was sketchy.
Frozen turf, Ice in places but fragile.
A good freeze tonight will see it looking nice for an early start Saturday.
Another team of climbers further along the face possibly on Central Rib.
Good day out, got to meet another UKCer (Valleyboy3?)
OP stevez 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:

That's what I wanted to hear! Early start tomorrow then, now, how do I tell the wife???
 Valley Boy 3 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones: Glad you had a good day, i was wondering how you got off. Have a good one tomorrow aswell!

Justin
OP stevez 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Valley Boy 3:

Justin, what did you get done?
 Valley Boy 3 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez: It was just a quick one today just to check conditions as the wife wanted me back! so i did not have a go at the face. Hope to get on the face on Sunday if i can keep a low profile with the wife!!!!
OP stevez 19 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:

You and me both! I might be sneaking out of the house at 5am tomorrow morning!
 Jones 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Valley Boy 3:
I think I'm back up there Sunday. Training day with MRT. Keep your eyes open. And go as mad as you like, at least we're local.

If your going to do anything on the right hand side of the face be aware of that cornice. It was proper sketchy swimming through it today.

Have a good time.

Jones
OP stevez 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones:

Just got a pass for Sunday morning. Planning to be on the face by 8am if anyone wants to join me!
 Welsh Kate 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones:
Hey, Jones, I'll be one of your casualties tomorrow on the exercise!
m0unt41n 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones: Can't make it unfortunately, the cave scenario sounds interesting.
shunty 20 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:
yes I will be there Sunday. On my tod. Driving across from Somerset. Where is best place to park and walk to North face. Previously I walked from the Arms and on the top and down the ridge and skirted across. If you want to meet up, send me an email and I'll send my email.
nig
 avayaman 20 Feb 2010
In reply to shunty: where is the webcam.(website?) Been looking for a decent brecon one for years.
shunty 20 Feb 2010
In reply to avayaman:

this is view to car park at the arms layby http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/webcams/latest
OP stevez 20 Feb 2010
In reply to shunty:

Nig,
Storey Arms is best in my opinion. I'll e-mail now.
Steve
 Jones 20 Feb 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:
I'm working tonight now Kate, so may be there later on in the day. I'll try and make it though.
Cracking day up there today. Did the reverse horseshoe from Neaudd Res, and it was spectacular weather. Even got myself a tan going on.
No-one seen on the north face today. We got to the top of Cribin for around 11:00, and it was clear of climbers. I thought it would be rammed.
 liz j 20 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones:
Please don't rub it in!! Got let down yesterday and am sans car at the moment, so missed out
 Sam W 20 Feb 2010
In reply to Jones:
There were a few groups on there today (including us). Started up Central Gully, the first ice step was very thin, then broke out onto Central Rib higher up. I'm not sure what the top of Central gully is meant to look like, but the headwall was showing a lot of bare rock and generally appeared a bit sketchy.
Turf was mostly well frozen, with the exception of areas that had sat in the sun for a few hours and a couple of bits that must have had water running through them
 Jones 20 Feb 2010
In reply to sam w:
More heavy snow forecast for South Wales tonight, which will make for interesting conditions in the morning.
shunty 20 Feb 2010
In reply to sam w:
I got some photos of 3-4 parties nearly topping out about 2.45pm today and will post them on here. Am going for it tomorrow
OP stevez 20 Feb 2010
In reply to sam w:

Central Gully finishes at the headwall. Most people then traverse to the right and finish up Central Rib. You can take the headwall direct but it goes at about Grade IV I think.
OP stevez 21 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:

Looks like it has snowed pretty heavily overnight, not even sure hoe passable the A470 is at Storey Arms so haven't headed out early as planned. May try later as forecast is for conditions to improve this afternoon.
shunty 21 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:
what about RAC gully instead? could do that bit later and less affected by snow?
Nig
 avayaman 21 Feb 2010
In reply to shunty: looked everywhere but there. Cheers.Simples!!!
OP stevez 21 Feb 2010
In reply to shunty:

Nij, I'm leaving Newport now to look at RAC Corner. E-mail me if you can make it there for about 11am
 Nigel R Lewis 21 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:
Did Central Rib this morning. Started in the gullly, and as per previous post, the first step was atrociuos, so we moved out on to the rib. Snow was powdery and some of the turf not as frozen as I'd have liked, but a really enjoyable route all the same.

N
OP stevez 21 Feb 2010
In reply to Nigel R Lewis:

Went up RAC Corner where the bottom 2 or 3 steps were very wet and loose. The top step however was a lot more solid and offered up a nice 5m worth of vertical water ice.
shunty 21 Feb 2010
In reply to Nigel R Lewis:
I found the same in both left hand and right hand today and was swimming about in deep powdery snow at the bottom, but the changing light later on today at the top was worth experiencing. Its got great views and when the crowds had gone was a delight.
 Neil Anderson 22 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez: Anyone been out today?

obviously plenty of snow - but are routes consolidated/ any turf frozen or ice build up.

looking at going out tomorrow or weds.

thanks
 Valley Boy 3 22 Feb 2010
In reply to Neil Anderson: I think first thing tomorrow would be your best bet as the freezing level looks like being well above the summits on Wednesday, but there looks like being a lot of hill fog and more snow tomorrow! Good luck.
Vip1r 23 Feb 2010
In reply to Valley Boy 3: Snowing there at the moment and has been since about 12 according to a friend there.
 Valley Boy 3 23 Feb 2010
In reply to Vip1r: Looks like the thaw will start tomorrow!
 Neil Anderson 23 Feb 2010
In reply to Valley Boy 3: sadly I opted for Weds...big mistake - seems warmer than forecast and not much snow ( here in Hereford at least).

anything climbable still ? anybody know ? or is it just alot of wet snow laying, with alot of rain to come ?
 Jones 23 Feb 2010
In reply to Neil Anderson:
Weather Brecon Beacons National Park:
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers, mainly during the morning, locally heavy with a low risk of thunder. Hill fog will be persistent and extensive, especially during the morning. A slow thaw of lying snow.
Visibility: Mostly poor or very poor in hill fog during the morning, perhaps moderate later.
Hill fog:Periods of hill fog above 200 metres, slowly lifting.
Maximum winds above 400m Southeasterly 25 to 35 mph, backing easterly 15 to 20 mph.
Temperature: Valleys Plus 3 rising to plus 7 Celsius.
800 m Plus 2 Celsius.
Freezing level 1500 metres.

It won't be in on Wed. Colder Temps not forecast for another Week or so.
Arg4 24 Feb 2010
thanks for the update.

any idea if there is any snow on Pen-Y-Fan?
planning to make it over there in the weekend and practise walking with crampons etc..

MtnGeekUK 24 Feb 2010
In reply to Arg4:

Having just looked out the office window, cloud is obscuring the view of anything about 600m - feels moist in the air here, so it may be snow higher up. Traffic Cam at Storey Arms is offline, so it could be quite wild up there.

If it clears (or the webcam comes back up), will let you know.
Arg4 24 Feb 2010
cheers!!!!
not sure where you are working, but do they have any vacancies?
all i can see from my window is an industrial estate in london..
 TomMouse 24 Feb 2010
In reply to Arg4: Was up there yesterday and there was snow aplenty, with some driving wind, looking at the MET forecasts I'd imagine it'll still be around the same condition for the weekend.
 Jones 24 Feb 2010
In reply to TomMouse:
The weekend is looking miserable with rain forecast and temps above freezing, but turning cold Sunday with higher wind and possible blizzard conditions.
Sunday it is then
 BALD EAGLE 26 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez:

Has anyone been up NE face in the last couple of days or has the snow been largely stripped with the milder temperatures recently?
Any info appreciated!
 BALD EAGLE 26 Feb 2010
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Anyone been recently or who lives near Brecon & has a view of the NE face?!?
 Neil Anderson 26 Feb 2010
In reply to BALD EAGLE: if this helps - nothing left on the malverns, or clee hill. very wet & mild in herefordshire.

so n face will be wet snow at best.
 Cardi 27 Feb 2010
In reply to stevez: Very patchy snow cover when driving past yesterday. Unless we get more snow, that's it for the winter in the South I'd have thought
Arg4 01 Mar 2010
went in the Black Mountain and did the right on Saturday.
Not much snow left, some patches here and there but not frozen so we did not use crampons/ice axes.
Arg4 01 Mar 2010
correction: Ridge..
 elliptic 01 Mar 2010
In reply to Arg4:

The freezing level on Pen-y-Fan yesterday afternoon (Sunday) was around 2500 feet with a cold northerly wind and clag most of the day.

There was still a reasonable covering of snow on the summits (especially on the paths where it's well packed) with rime on the highest rocks, but the northern headwalls are looking thin with a lot of vegetation showing through.
 jezb1 01 Mar 2010
In reply to elliptic: Walked up PyF from the N yesterday, got my axe out for the very top section because it was quite icy.

Nice days walk but don't think anything would have been climbable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...