UKC

Weekend Warriors News Articles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Maynard 02 Mar 2010
So yeah, its good to get psyched by some uber wad tearing down some double figure trad. route and I find it interesting to know where they are doing it and how much effort goes into achieving something of that caliber.

(However, these seem scace these days - no doubt due to the massively long enduring winter I hope we are now at the back end of.)

My point, nevertheless is that to increase the frequency of these news clips with their accompaying videos that frequently accomopany them, why not plug some lower key first ascents and repeats under a modestly titled 'weekend warrior' news page. No specified top end or bottom end grade, (I think any climbing journalism that strives to relive for the reader the emotions experienced by an individual when a great deal of emotional and physical input has been invested on their part, and the article is succint and insipres empathy, will be well received) but merely a more holisitc look at what people are getting out and pushing themeselves on.

Under the 'Weekend Warrior' banner I would be interested to see people's accounts of their own adventures with the accompanying video and narrative that we have become use to from the rather small group of household names that such jounalism of this nature on UKC inevitably addresses.

Would anyone be interested in seeing and hearing about some climbing adventures at their local crags by people pushing below the hallowed grades we normally hear about on here?

I reckon there will be a large number of people going out and pushing the envelope on onsight attempts of mid to higher end trad. routes this Spring and Summer, facing compromising falls and creating potentially exciting stories and footage that people would love to hear about?

Jack?
UKC?
The masses?

In reply to Matt Maynard:

I'd love to see some. I love watching 'elite' climbers in action but it can get demotivating sometimes. It would be good to see some lower grade ascents plus some failed attempts along with their accounts of the experiences. When you watch a lot of DVDs and online movies it's easy to get caught up in the thought that 'most people' climb these super hard routes and that you are the only one failing on lower graded routes, this can get demotivating even though you know it ain't really true.

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to see and it would be a nice addition.

The video part of this site, from what I understand, is having a lot of work done on it with the hope that users will upload their own videos. This may address the above and I'll certainly be uploading some of my humble attempts.
 Misha 04 Mar 2010

Yes, would be worthwhile if it's well written and the routes are interesting. I sometimes write up stuff I've done and post it to my club's email list, though it tends to be Alpine and winter stuff as it's something different to the rock climbing that most people in the club are used to and is, arguably, more interesting.
 Andrew Smith 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Matt Maynard: Sounds like a good idea..

As Steve points out, this issue may well get addressed with user video uploads which we will be adding over the next month or so.

Alan
 teflonpete 04 Mar 2010

Sounds like a good idea. I'm like a lot of other punters, I enjoy climbing but I've got a lot of other stuff in my life that takes up time too so I'm never going to be able to climb E9 or E10. Some accounts or video of people like me pushing their boundaries to E2 or E3 or doing some classic mid grade routes would be far more motivational. It's part of the reason I've given up buying climbing magazines, they're just so far removed from what I can achieve.
 JezH 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Matt Maynard: Sounds like an awesome idea!
 Owen W-G 04 Mar 2010
In reply to teflonpete:

I reckon some of my E2 ascents, if caught on video, would make riviting viewing with shaking leader run out, wobbling and success constantly in the balance to the last.
 jkarran 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Owen W-G:

I know at least one of mine would give people a good laugh. Thankfully the camera batteries died before the shaking got too bad

jk
 Enty 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Owen W-G:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> I reckon some of my E2 ascents, if caught on video, would make riviting viewing with shaking leader run out, wobbling and success constantly in the balance to the last.

I have to agree - watching a video of some punter leaving The Porthole on Right Wall, gripped shitless has much more appeal to me than someone on End of the Affair for example.

My 30 footer off Left wall 20 years ago would make good viewing!!

Enty
 Ram MkiV 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
> [...]
>
> I have to agree - watching a video of some punter leaving The Porthole on Right Wall, gripped shitless.....
ha, nice

OP: UKC already report some of what you're talking about to some degree though don't they under 'local news'? People always used to complain too with the 'is this news' tagline didn't they...
I think I remember Jack saying on here that if he finds a story or event interesting on a personal level then he tends to report it. I ain't no journalist but that sounds like a pretty sound basis for a writing a news item to me!
 Owen W-G 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Enty:

My 30+ head-first footer off LW last summer would also have been entertaining as would the successful ascent the following day when the lob was nearly repeated. Had one foot on the ledge of salvation and spent about 3 desperate minutes trying to get stood on it.
In reply to Owen W-G:

Sounds good! I'd love to see some of these! And there was me thinking that it was only me who has to do all the self talk to psyche myself into even moving in an exposed position. Some of my shakers have been very funny in hindsight.
 Chewie 04 Mar 2010

Personally I'd find this sort of news, especially user vids, very inspiring. Not inspiring in the same way as say watching Dave Birkett put up a new E8 route for example, but it'd be good watching somebody do a route and being able to think "I could do that".
It'd also give people exposure to climbs and crags that they may otherwise not have even thought about visiting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...