UKC

NEWS: Ben Nevis Navigation Cairns Buried In Snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Mar 2010
[Ben Nevis Navigation Cairns - Buried, 1 kb]

1.8m High Cairns Hidden Under White Blanket:

Climbers topping out on The Ben and hoping to find the three newly erected 1.8m high navigation cairns are being warned that the snow is so deep the cairns are almost indistinguishable from other lumps and bumps.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52369

CurlyStevo 10 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:
theres a suprise, 1.8m of snow is actually not that much for ben nevis summit in winter.
 MG 10 Mar 2010
Presumably the picture with cairns clearly visible isn't recent?
 creag 10 Mar 2010
In reply to MG:
Was fine on Sunday... Top of the ben has the shelter, ruins and then the cairns... not many other bumps to get confused with!!
 jameshiggins 10 Mar 2010
In reply to creag:
> (In reply to MG)
> Was fine on Sunday... Top of the ben has the shelter, ruins and then the cairns... not many other bumps to get confused with!!

wasn't fine at 11.15am on Sunday before the cloud lifted! It was impossible to ID any lumps/bumps until almost stumbling upon them!

Jim
 Banned User 77 10 Mar 2010
In reply to jameshiggins:
> (In reply to creag)
> [...]
>
> wasn't fine at 11.15am on Sunday before the cloud lifted! It was impossible to ID any lumps/bumps until almost stumbling upon them!
>
> Jim

Surely that's the point in them? Help you break the legs down, smaller legs, less error when you get there?
 Dan Goodwin 10 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

They do seem pretty clear to see in the picture !

Aye Dan

iceicebaby 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Dan Goodwin - Mountain Plan:
They where still pretty obvious on monday..i wonder what changed?
 Toby S 11 Mar 2010
In reply to iceicebaby:
> (In reply to Dan Goodwin - Mountain Plan)
> They where still pretty obvious on monday..i wonder what changed?

It snowed? :oD

sorry.
 iceicebaby 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Toby S:

ha ha ok i let myself in for that one!!

but in seriousness it hasent snowed all week and the cairns where pretty easy to follow in the dark.
 PW 11 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: If the cairns weren't there, nobody would bother about them.
 Dan Goodwin 11 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I suppose you could always deploy option B if they are buried and use a map and compass

Dan
 Jamie B 11 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

So there are enough visible cairns to give people a handrail almost all of the way to the summit, then they are invisible at the most critical point? I always suspected that these cairns were a flawed concept, and this appears to prove it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...