UKC

NEWS: Ondra Climbs F9b - Golpe de Estado

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Mar 2010
[Adam Ondra on Golpe de Estado, F9b, Siurana, Spain, 3 kb]Czech climber and photographer Vojtech Vrzba reports:

Adam Ondra sent Golpe de Estado F9b in Siurana yesterday (Saturday).

He was in Siurana 4 weeks ago and tried the route but after sustaining finger and tendon
injuries in his forearm, he went back to rest...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52436

xyz 14 Mar 2010
Ondra really is the "Usain Bolt" of the climbing world and IMO we have never seen the likes of Ondra before. The speed at which he repeats these hard, cutting edge routes is nothing short of awe-inspiring. The sport climbing world has been revolutionized in recent years by the likes of Sharma, Andrada, Graham and even our own Steve Mac but I think Ondra is set to take things to a whole new level and whatever that level may be I predict it will remain unchallenged for many many years to come!
 Quarryboy 14 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: he is pretty impressive he seems to make very easy work of just about every hard route in the world I mean I don't personally know anyone who can on-sight 8a+ let alone when they where 11 years old
 Smelly Fox 14 Mar 2010
In reply to xyz:
Do you think he realised his chalkbag was shut before he set off? Or is he so strong that he shuts and opens it mid redpoint!?!
 whistler 14 Mar 2010
In reply to Smelly Fox:
Good spot Maybe he was just doing single moves for the photos, rather than actually climbing. You would notice before you even got off the ground, wouldn't you ?
 grizz 14 Mar 2010
In reply to whistler:

they've actually got the pictures upside down. He needed to keep his chalk in
In reply to UKC News:

What's with that weird blue rock? It looks like something Jerry might pose on in Chad.

jcm
 Smelly Fox 14 Mar 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
Some limestone actually is that colour, don't know why but it is natural.
Pretty cool stuff.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Mar 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think it is where occasional wet streak dry out, the blue is some kind of powdery lichen.

Chris
 JJL 15 Mar 2010
In reply to Smelly Fox:
> (In reply to Lee Proctor)
> Do you think he realised his chalkbag was shut before he set off? Or is he so strong that he shuts and opens it mid redpoint!?!

I'd be more concerned about the apparent lack of a rope in the second picture
MattDTC 15 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Sounds like it isn't an 'easy' 9b either;

...'About the grade, he says that he considers it "hard 9b", now that a hold has broken on the upper part'
In reply to MattDTC: im thinking of quitting now....
 ali k 15 Mar 2010
 Franco Cookson 15 Mar 2010
In reply to ali k:
(and UK trad climbing side - not mentioning any names).
>
> Good effort all round...

Better to round up than round down, as rounding down can kill people.

But yes, good effort.
 ali k 15 Mar 2010
In reply to manker:

> Better to round up than round down, as rounding down can kill people.
hmmm. in principle i guess. however 'rounding up' by three grades for the purposes of publicity is a different matter entirely. anyway enough of this...

> But yes, good effort.
yes, good effort...
skullgrid 16 Mar 2010
Ondra is 1.80m according to his 8a profile and Sharma is 1.84, so they're not that far apart really.

In reply to ali k:
>Ondra's pretty short, whereas Sharma's quite a big guy. I normally don't >admit to height making a difference, but on this occasion it looked like >reach was definitely an issue.
 ali k 16 Mar 2010
In reply to skullgrid:
> Ondra is 1.80m according to his 8a profile and Sharma is 1.84, so they're not that far apart really.

Maybe not so much in terms of pure height, but Ondra famously has a negative ape index which would make a difference on this particular move.
Either way, this is getting too nerdy for me. Good effort to both...
 rocaviador 26 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Here is interview with Adam Ondra about Golpe de estado:
http://www.czechclimbing.com/clanek.php?key=8540

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...