UKC

Port de Soller Mallorca - Access issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j_duds 14 Mar 2010
FYI -
We got asked to leave Port de Soller during last week by the builder from the construction site above the crag. Construction above the crag is well under way! Access to the crag is still possible, no blocked off paths, no signs saying don't climb! The appoach path has some building debris that looks to have fallen from the above site. Probably a H&S issue.
 Jimmy D 14 Mar 2010
In reply to j_duds:

Last time (Christmas) we were there some pretty big lumps fell off the crag itself (Blobland area). They weren't actually working on the site at the time but I suppose there's a chance pile driving, digging etc. might loosen things. We never had any problems with access, but then we only went when they weren't working. IIRC the guide suggests taking this approach in any case. This would seem sensible. In the long term when the hotel, apartments etc. are finished I wouldn't be surprised if access did become more of a problem.
In reply to j_duds:

They do appear to have started building here again after several years of inactivity.

When I first visited this place in 1993 there was building work above the crag and shortly after that the crag was 'closed'. This was when the fencing was added and the routes on the right as you walk in blocked off although few people appeared to actually be stopped from climbing since the path was always open below the crag.

This situation of pretty much tolerated access persisted until around 2002/3 or so when there was once more a burst of building activity above. I am not sure whether the crag was officially closed during this period however a lot of that metal work and debris was lobbed down at this time so it did appear that the crag might have become a bit dangerous.

Then the building stopped and everything was back to normal, and new routes were added to the sector beyond Blobland. Now that there is a recession it appears that the building work has started again! Let's hope they don't start lobbing more rubbish off from above as before.

I'd be interested to hear reports from people who do try and climb there. Is everyone getting thrown off? Is the 'person' doing the throwing off actually connected with the construction? I suspect that access will become difficult while there is continuing construction, and this may go on for some time since it is a massive development, but after that the crag will be open once again.

Alan
OP j_duds 14 Mar 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

We managed to climb on a sunday with other parties (some were locals), when the building work wasnt going on. But we and other parties were asked to leave on Friday of this week by a builder in hi-vis vest with company logo on, he was taking notes and photos of the climbs and climbers at the time. The builder was at least pleasent, but it disrupted the day!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...