UKC

Smelly Climbing Shoes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ok so hopefully im not the only person that has this problem, but im on my second pair of 5.10's now over the last year and there've both been relegated to the shed due to the pong...

I do get alot of use out of them but does anyone have any tips on aftercare products/post climbing treatments so i can prolong the life of my stickies...

James Oswald 15 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy:
This seems quite obvious but air them properly.
James
 Choss Weasel 15 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: The smell will be caused by moisture inside the shoes, the best solution is to sprinkle climbing chalk inside your shoes which will completely dry them out and eliminate the problem. I use this method with my running shoes as well as my climbing shoes and it works a treat.
 jimtitt 15 Mar 2010
In the freezer, kills the bacteria which cause the smell. In a sealed bag!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Atticus Finch 15 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: I use alcohol/anti-bacterial gell, just the regular stuff you get for your hands, it works absolutely brilliantly both for the smell and for cleaning the shoe and the sole.
Just rub it in with a tea towl.
Franklin the pedantic cat 15 Mar 2010
In reply to jimtitt:

> In the freezer, kills the bacteria which cause the smell. In a sealed bag!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. It's been said many times on here. A search would have found it.
 Atticus Finch 15 Mar 2010
In reply to jimtitt: I don't want to undermine you, if it works it works I'm sure you're right.
But interestingly I heard that bacteria doesn't die at lower temperatures, it just sort of hibernates and stops multiplying, just a bit of trivia
In reply to honourableschoolboy: A monthly couple of washes in Nikwax sandal wash seems to be the only way I can stay in the same room as my Evolv's.

When I finish climbing, I use chalk & a shoe spray before putting them back in the car.
 oliwarlow 15 Mar 2010

I have found athletes foot powder to be the best solution. It kills the bacteria that causes the smell. It only costs a couple of quid from boots and will last 6months or so (climbing a few times a week). just sprinkle some in the shoes after climbing. An added bonus is you'll never get athletes foot!
 jimtitt 15 Mar 2010
In reply to Atticus Finch:
Some die, some live. That´s the way of the world!
 Rob Davies 15 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: Wear socks. Wash the socks.
 Iwan 16 Mar 2010
I use Scholl Shoe Spray.
 don macb 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Ian Cameron:

aye aye ian- thought you travelled under a pseudonym on here, chap!

i hadn't heard of the inspired chalk suggestion but will be trying this out immediately.
 don macb 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Ian Cameron:

ps: leave your beanie at home and let's get a trad or indoor climb in sometime. you know my real email surely (eg: NOT bivyspirit)? if not, put a post up on LMC...
 MeMeMe 16 Mar 2010

If you want to get rid of the pong I've found leaving them overnight in a bleach solution works. It doesn't seem to have done much harm to mine and sometimes it takes desperate measures...
 ginger_lord 16 Mar 2010

Once you've got rid of the smell initially (I put mine, 5.10 VCS) in the washing machine on a low wash then did some extra scrubbing in sole, then the key to stopping the smelling is to air them after climbing.

This means don't take them off and put them straight in your bad, I tie mine to the outside of the bag and after about 30 mins its ok to put them away.

Freezing does work but it doesn't kill them, just stops them for a while which is ok if you regularly freeze them.
Sarah G 16 Mar 2010
Socks.

If you are desperate to look cool and pretend that you don't need to wear socks, use those lottle socks that don't stick up above the shoe.

Clean socks, every time.

I find also that little cotton socks go a long way to preventing one's foot from slipping and turning in it's own tub of sweat in the shoe when edging.

Sx
 Nuddy 16 Mar 2010
Shoe spray is all you need. There's one specially for this purpose, and it's biological as well - no chemicals.
http://www.x-kunden.de/spirit/england.htm
 Quiddity 16 Mar 2010

Tackle the problem at the source - Take them off when you're not climbing (ie. between pitches/boulder problems). your feet won't sweat as much and less sweat will end up in the shoe. Then air your shoes when you get home.

The bonus is that you don't wear down the edges on your nice new shoes by walking around in them.

This won't work if your shoes already smell - but is good for stopping new shoes from developing the dreading 5.10 honk.
 ericinbristol 16 Mar 2010

The Climbing Academy in Bristol has one of these machines:
http://www.algeos.com/html/products/machineguide/klenz.htm

I found it reduced the smell about 90%.

As someone else said, for prevention, start the session with clean feet, take them off between routes/problems and air them straight after (clip em to the outside of your sack etc)
ypy 16 Mar 2010
Why do people not use the SEARCH button?
In reply to ypy:
> Why do people not use the SEARCH button?

From your profile: 'Ask me, I'm pretty friendly.'

You do a nice line in unintentional irony.

ypy 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Eric Herring:
>
> From your profile: 'Ask me, I'm pretty friendly.'
>
> You do a nice line in unintentional irony.

Hmm, maybe I should change that to say 'depending on my mood'.

Regardless, it is not unreasonable to expect forum users to utilise the search button. This is expected on nearly all forums on the internet where performing such searches are very easy.
 Bonkers Dog 16 Mar 2010
I've had good results using a 30-40 degree wash and then soaking them in bleach solution for 10 mins or so (and rinsing with water after).
 jkarran 16 Mar 2010

I periodically chuck mine in a hot bleach solution. They don't smell nice afterwards but they no longer reek of gangrene.

jk
In reply to ypy:

People like to ask questions afresh (intentional pun) and get up to date answers.

Also, when people ask a question they are often not just interested in getting information but want a warm social interaction in the process: it is a means of knowing, becoming known and belonging. You have missed this entirely. If you don't value that, that's up to you. But others do, and expectations in UKC do allow for this.

Andy Hardy 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Sarah G:
> Socks.
... I find also that little cotton socks go a long way to preventing one's foot from slipping and turning in it's own tub of sweat in the shoe when edging.
>

+1
ypy 16 Mar 2010

I would understand people's desire to attain up to date answers on a number of questions, but this one is asked in relative regularity.

There are a number of other questions which are asked almost one a week - 'what boots or harness should I buy etc...' and they are nearly always answered with the same replies.

People's desire for social interaction is understandable but there are much better ways to do it on an internet forum than asking something which is answered regularly. Not using the simple search button demonstrates either a degree of laziness or ineptitude with technology.
In reply to ypy:

You crack me up. You are now the arbiter of the best way of social interaction.

In reply to everyone else in this thread:

Stop posting now, for ypy has spoken.
ypy 16 Mar 2010
>
> Stop posting now, for ypy has spoken.

I'm glad you agree
 Choss Weasel 16 Mar 2010
In reply to don macb:
> (In reply to Ian Cameron)
>
> ps: leave your beanie at home and let's get a trad or indoor climb in sometime. you know my real email surely (eg: NOT bivyspirit)? if not, put a post up on LMC...

Hi Don. I haven't used Ukc for a while but I've kinda got more into posting on it now. I unfortunately dont still have your e-mail. It would be good to meet up for a trad climb sometime soon, I try to get out on the crags as much as I can now.

don macb 17 Mar 2010
In reply to Ian Cameron:

remove the spaces and drop me a line ian:

foliate
head

@

hot mail.
com
In reply to ypy:

Thanks to everyone for top tips! Just got back from a productive trip in the peaks and stuck them straight in the freezer (sealed bag of course )

Going to try and check out that machine if im ever down bristol way! Socks seem sensible and obvious, but just cant get used to them in my rock boots - personal preference i suppose!

ypy - Try: Posting less poor chat on UKC and more climbing...
 Choss Weasel 18 Mar 2010
> (In reply to ypy)
>
> Thanks to everyone for top tips! Just got back from a productive trip in the peaks and stuck them straight in the freezer (sealed bag of course )
>

Btw if you try the chalk suggestion make sure the boots aren't wet otherwise you will get a grotty white gunge resembling wedding-cake icing all over your shoes! Its a mistake I once made with my running shoes. To eliminate odour and rot in damp smelly shoes though it works a treat.

Dominion 18 Mar 2010

> Socks seem sensible and obvious, but just cant get used to them in my rock boots - personal preference i suppose!

You can get really, really, really thin trainer liner socks.

I used to climb without socks, and it got so I couldn't stand either the stinkyness, and slimey feel of the shoe when I put them on.

So next time I bought new shoes I took some trainer liner socks with me, and made sure the new shoes fitted with them.

Haven't had stinky, slimey shoes since.

||-)
 joshedwr 18 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: i keep mine in a air tight exped bag.... this means i only have to deal with the smell for seconds when i put them on... but DO NOT OPEN THE BAG anywhere you dont want to smell haha
 rgd1977 18 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: My girlfriend got me these, not sure if they're up to the job because they've got their work cut out for them trying to deal with my shoes but they look good!

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/5855570/Monkey-Shoe-Freshener/Produc...

Harry Holmes 20 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: i have a pair of verdes which smell quite bad.
i tried drying them out but in my opinion this made the smell worse
i tried using deodourising spray and this didnt work very well either
i then tried washing them in warm water and it did work quite nicely and the shoes looked almost new
 The Ivanator 20 Mar 2010
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to honourableschoolboy)
> You can get really, really, really thin trainer liner socks.
> I used to climb without socks, and it got so I couldn't stand either the stinkyness, and slimey feel of the shoe when I put them on.
> So next time I bought new shoes I took some trainer liner socks with me, and made sure the new shoes fitted with them.
> Haven't had stinky, slimey shoes since.

Second this 100%, super thin liner socks are the answer ...no loss of climbing sensitivity in my experience and stink virtually eliminated.
Bambi 20 Mar 2010

One of my clients told me this...

Cat litter, the non fragranced type. Put it in your shoes and it sucks out all the err... moisture.

Can I just say that I am NOT a mad cat lady.

Cheers,

Bambi
In reply to honourableschoolboy: I got a bit scientific yesterday and put one of the offending shoes (Evolv Defy) in the freezer.

Four hours later, the frozen shoe was placed in the same room as it's twin, but well away from it. While frozen, it didn't smell.

This morning, with both shoes at the same temperature, I couldn't tell which one had been frozen.

Myth busted
 Nigel Modern 21 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: wear socks
 JJL 21 Mar 2010
In reply to ypy:

"> I would understand people's desire to attain up to date answers on a number of questions, but this one is asked in relative regularity.
>
> There are a number of other questions which are asked almost one a week - 'what boots or harness should I buy etc...' and they are nearly always answered with the same replies.
>
> People's desire for social interaction is understandable but there are much better ways to do it on an internet forum than asking something which is answered regularly. Not using the simple search button demonstrates either a degree of laziness or ineptitude with technology."

AKA STFF

Andrew.Davies 21 Mar 2010
In reply to honourableschoolboy: Having them buried under snow for a month or so does wonders.
 nikinko 21 Mar 2010
In reply to Sarah G:

> Clean socks, every time.
>
> I find also that little cotton socks go a long way to preventing one's foot from slipping and turning in it's own tub of sweat in the shoe when edging.

absolutely... on both counts. have had my last pair since christmas and not worn them without socks, it hasn't made me climb any worse, but has stopped my shoes stinking and I don't get that horrible slimy slidy feeling when I try to edge but feet are just too sweaty!
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2010

I keep 'trainer balls' in mine, which really seems to help and are quick and easy unlike washing/freezing. I also second (third) the idea of wearing very thin liner socks in them (something like the Bridgedale liners) (They also help stop my toes going numb in winter through a combination of toe insulation and keeping ankles a bit warmer).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...