UKC

NEW REVIEW: Stevie Haston Reviews Ron Fawcett's New Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 31 Mar 2010
[Ron Fawcett on top of High Tor having just soloed Darius live on TV, 3 kb]"I don't like this book, I love it. I read it twice in a day, and was still reading bits of it out aloud to myself that night."

Ron Fawcett gets the Stevie Haston treatment, with historical photographs and commentary from Al Evans.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2600

Monk 31 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

A really good review. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
 Jack Geldard 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Monk: Me too!
 Phil Kelly 31 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: I got Ron's book from the Outside in Hathersage a few weeks ago and it really is a top read. Hats off to Ron himself and Ed Douglas.

There were a few things in the text that interested me more than others though, not least of which was Strawberries. Back in the day Ron was quoted in the magazines as saying that on the second day's efforts, Redhead himself held his ropes, and that this was a "sporting gesture".

The book doesn't mention this, and seems to gloss over Redhead's involvement as if he was no more than an also-ran but had his nose put out of joit when Ron succeeded.

I just thought that if John did indeed hold his ropes this could have been mentioned and more made of it.

Apart from that, and a couple of other historical issues, I think that this book and Jerry's both make superb reading and congratulations all round.

Phil
 Solaris 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

It's the EBs I can't wait to get my hands on! Respect.

NearlyDutchDan 01 Apr 2010
In reply to Solaris:

absolutely, bring back EB's
 andybirtwistle 02 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
This is a cracking book about an icon in the climbing world.I was lucky enough to have started climbing when Ron was "doing his stuff" and he was an inspiration.His story reveals not only his tenacity and ability but also his self depreciating honesty.It should be compulsory reading for all those interested in our sport as it gives a clear insight into how the cutting edge developed and how styles and ethics evolved.Today's rock athletes have "climbed on the backs of giants" to reach the heights of modern standards, and Big Ron deservedly has a premier place in climbing history.
In reply to UKC Gear: Yes I'll have to buy this. As well as being one of the leading climbers of his generation he is also a very nice bloke.

Al
 Peter Herold 02 Apr 2010
I too think this is a great book, and think Stevie's review is spot-on. I was climbing in the late 70's/early 80's and so know all Ron's routes, and have also interviewed him recently, but what I really found enthralling and new was the personal side of Ron's life: the teenage Yorkshire kid finds himself among the drug-taking Yosemite dudes; the climbing in Verdon; the setbacks he's had in life outside climbing and how he overcame them.

As I said to him, "We all know you were good at climbing, what we didn't know were the other things, the difficult times you've had, and how you dealt with them."

Much more than a "I trained hard, got fit, dieted and did my route" book, more a book about a complete life (and he's still going strong). I really admire the bloke for working to write this. Respect.
brian cropper 06 Apr 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) I got Ron's book from the Outside in Hathersage a few weeks ago and it really is a top read. Hats off to Ron himself and Ed Douglas.
>
> There were a few things in the text that interested me more than others though, not least of which was Strawberries. Back in the day Ron was quoted in the magazines as saying that on the second day's efforts, Redhead himself held his ropes, and that this was a "sporting gesture".
>
> The book doesn't mention this, and seems to gloss over Redhead's involvement as if he was no more than an also-ran but had his nose put out of joit when Ron succeeded.
>
> I just thought that if John did indeed hold his ropes this could have been mentioned and more made of it.
>
> Apart from that, and a couple of other historical issues, I think that this book and Jerry's both make superb reading and congratulations all round.
>
> Phil

hello phil i think i have had this book for about six weeks it is in my book collection not read very boaring read 50 years of alpinism r cassin or central asia and tibet sven hedin they got me hooked from page one page 60 of this book on ron i gave up regards brian
 jon 06 Apr 2010
 chris_j_s 06 Apr 2010
In reply to brian a:

> hello phil i think i have had this book for about six weeks it is in my book collection not read very boaring read 50 years of alpinism r cassin or central asia and tibet sven hedin they got me hooked from page one page 60 of this book on ron i gave up regards brian

Does this even make coherent sense?
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2010
In reply to Peter Herold: I turned up at Almscliff in 1974 for my 1st university meet feeling pretty cocky, and found some helly hansen clad young lad soloing just about everything in sight, effortlessly and elegantly, then watched him puffing and panting a bit on the second ascent of All Quiet.

There and then I decided to devote the next three years of my life to sex 'n drugs 'n rock'n roll!
 Bulls Crack 06 Apr 2010
In reply to brian a:
> (In reply to phil kelly)
> [...]
>
> hello phil i think i have had this book for about six weeks it is in my book collection not read very boaring read 50 years of alpinism r cassin or central asia and tibet sven hedin they got me hooked from page one page 60 of this book on ron i gave up regards brian

Somehow I'm not surprised, on the above evidence, that you gave up reading it after 60 pages.
 Phil Kelly 08 Apr 2010
In reply to brian a:

> hello phil i think i have had this book for about six weeks it is in my book collection not read very boaring

That's a shame, Brian. Mind you at least you didn't have to buy your copy!

Now then, let's move on to the next keyboard lesson.... punctuation.

In reply to jon:
I'll try to search out the original article. Steve Ashton's pic with Ron peeking his head round the corner, is fantastic. It looks as though Ron is quite happy to have the competition.

In reply to chris_j_s and Bulls Crack:
Maybe not perfectly constructed or punctuated but what Brian said made sense, and more sense than some of the inane babblings spouted on this site.

If you were to put as much back into climbing after 40+ years as Brian is doing, then you would be in a better position to criticise.

jon 08 Apr 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to brian a)
>
> In reply to jon:
> I'll try to search out the original article. Steve Ashton's pic with Ron peeking his head round the corner, is fantastic. It looks as though Ron is quite happy to have the competition.
>

Not to me, it doesn't... looks more like "Oh shit, he's going to do it......!" I'd still give Ron and Ed the benefit of the doubt, that it was an oversight though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...