UKC

Stranded Abroad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Is anyone stranded abroad? either yourself or a friend of yours.

My partner is currently stuck in Washington DC. Although she does need the extra holiday.
 LastBoyScout 18 Apr 2010
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

My sister is happily stranded in the UK - she normally works abroad and is enjoying being able to get more than a weekend at home! Especially as she's on the project from hell anyway!
 stewieatb 18 Apr 2010

We have family friends stuck in Egypt, Iceland and India.
Daddio 18 Apr 2010

Think yourself lucky!

my other half is in spain with 8 girlfriends and I've just been asked to get a minibus and go get them!
In reply to Daddio: say no, lol.
I very much doubt you would get a ferry ticket anyway.
ice.solo 19 Apr 2010

my dads stuck in dushanbe, tajikistan.

unrest in bishkek has rerouted his contingency flights and the main flight routes thru heathrow are blocked, putting pressure on the flights thru istanbul which could close in a day or two.

plus, dushanbe sucks. its not a beautiful med island.
 Doug 19 Apr 2010
In reply to ice.solo: just had an email from 3 colleagues stuck in Istanbul saying they're leaving this morning to come home via bus, ferry & bus and hope to be back in Paris sometime on Wednesday. No doubt the flights will be back be then
Slugain Howff 19 Apr 2010

I can't get to work. I commute Monday - Thursday to Bergen. I returned last Wednesday a day earlier than normal, ignorant to the developing situation, and now I'm stuck in Scotland ho ho.

S
 EeeByGum 19 Apr 2010
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Have family-in-law that are stuck in the Costa del Sol. Personally though, I am loving the peace and quiet that has descended over south Manchester.
Barber Baz 19 Apr 2010
In reply to EeeByGum: im stuck in gothenburg, best chance is probably a ferry to england then a train north, my car is at prestwick, and i live in inverness, deep joy.
 summo 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Slugain Howff: Not quite where you need to be, but they re-opened the Port of Tyne - Stavanger ferry route at the weekend to take people in either direction. Not sure how permanent it is though.
 jasonC abroad 19 Apr 2010

Wife and daughter were stuck in Paris on the first day but managed to get back early Saturday morning via train, ferry and another special late night train that was laid on from Dover to Victoria. Nightmare

J
 Trangia 19 Apr 2010
In reply to jasonC abroad:

We were due to fly back from the south of Spain on Friday. Decided to drive back and set off on Sat morning. Stayed at a cheap hotel in Girona on Sat night where we met a stranded Brit couple (they'd flown out a couple of days earlier to watch a football match and got stuck!) They asked us for a lift and shared the costs. Reached Calais late Sat night and managed to get on the next Eurotunnel crossing for 99 euros. I was staggered at the cost of the motorway toll charges 200 euros in total.
 Nevis_Ben 19 Apr 2010

I'm waiting to go out to Afghanistan, was supposed to go out on Sunday at 0600 but it's now been put off until Wednesday. It's ok for me tho as I get to spend a few more days at home but there are a shift of other guys out there that we're supposed to replace and it'll be hell for them having to stay longer out there.

It's definitely no holiday either
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Apr 2010

Colin Binks is still stuck down here with us (Nice) helping with the Cote d'Azure guide. Still not sure how he is going to get home - train looks the best bet, though booking it is proving problematical.
We have two more weeks, hopefully things might be sorted by then.

Chris
 'Hilda' 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Trangia: Friends hubby is now stuck in Hong Kong, he was in Beijing. Trying to get home after nearly 3 weeks away. His wife isn't happy.

He's been told by his company not to make his own travel plans, as they won't cover the costs - nice of them!
dinkypen 19 Apr 2010
http://www.frogbus.com are looking at running a landbridge service from Barcelona and Gerona airports through France, possibly linking up with Eurostar which could be useful for anybody stuck in Spain or France. Also see http://survivefrance.ning.com/forum/topics/travel-help-between-uk-france if you are (or you know anybody who is) stuck in France
 Sam Mayfield 19 Apr 2010

We have arranged a coach to leave the Costa Blanca on Saturday to Calais.

165 euros and 22 on the ferry.

At the moment I have half filled it so if anyone knows anyone else out there and wants to book a seat let me know.

sam@theorangehouse.co.uk

Sam

Liam M 19 Apr 2010
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Other half's boss is stuck somewhere in Spain. She'd gone out for a conference she really didn't want to go to, and had apparently been complaining about for ages before hand, but had no choice as the Spanish office had requested a partner. She's stuck out there, and from what I've heard seemingly incapable of embracing the circumstances and doing any touristy stuff, but rather just being in a huff.

H's mum was also supposed to be flying over to meet her for the VLM, but that's not happening. Interestingly, at the moment almost all of the VLM elite runners are stuck abroad - it could be an opportunity for some unknown to make their name this Sunday if things stay as they are.
 Frank4short 19 Apr 2010
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Have or rather had a job interview lined up for tomorrow that's been postponed as the person i was due to meet is stuck in the US.

On the other hand i did find it rather amusing to hear that Whitney Houston was on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry over the weekend to ensure she made it here for her concert on Saturday night. Apparently she even performed a few songs for passengers whilst on the ferry.
 sutty 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

A trip down town and a notice put up on a board should fill it for you, or one in the supermarket.
 John_Hat 19 Apr 2010

As I said on another thread, a close member of a friend's family has died. Her partner is naturally upset. She's stuck in northern Scandinavia where she was presenting at a scientific conference.

She is currently on a three-day journey to get back to the UK.
 Sam Mayfield 19 Apr 2010
In reply to sutty:

We have put an ad on the local radio and we might need more than one coach.

I dont want panic to set in so slowly slowly at the moment!

Sam Orange
 Ropeboy 19 Apr 2010

Stuck in Greece, considering driving back!

John
 Mita 19 Apr 2010
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Mum, niece & BIL are stuck in Dubai... Man airport say they will open at 9am tomorrow morning...
dinkypen 19 Apr 2010
In reply to Mita:

http://www.nats.co.uk/ for the latest
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Well the earliest flight the gf has now managed to book doesn't leave the USA until the 28th due to all the backlog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...