UKC

NEWS: Second F9a and New Article Series from Stevie Haston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Apr 2010
[Stevie Haston, 2 kb]UKClimbing.com are pleased to announce a new article series for 2010.

Stevie Haston, one of the world's top climbers, has put pen to paper and the results are fantastic.

Writing the articles for UKC hasn't slowed down his climbing.

Stevie has climbed his second F9a with an ascent of Hugh at Les Eaux Claire and established Cannabis, a crazy and beautiful hybrid mixed route on granite, 70 metres of 8a rock climbing to M8 mixed to Scottish 6+.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=53125
 hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News:

The Stevie Haston PR behemoth rumbles on, can anyone escape?
In reply to hexcentric:

careful, Mr Haston may well drop by to tell you that your opinion isn't worth anything on this thread as you only climb F7c...
 hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Well obviously I can see his point. The weight of one's opinion is after all directly proportional to how hard one can climb.

It is this and this alone upon which Mr Haston's public persona flourishes.
In reply to hexcentric: But what is Stevie's favourite cheese?
 catt 27 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I'm looking forward to reading his stuff. And I think it's right we support our top climbers as much we can.
 Morgan Woods 27 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News: Great to see a repeat of one of Fred's hard routes.
 AlistairB 27 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News: Is that the first repeat of Hugh? Great to see people getting on them, aye, the man was well ahead of his time.
 Morgan Woods 27 Apr 2010
In reply to AlistairB: I think Dai Kodayama for one may have done it.
 Tom Briggs 27 Apr 2010
In reply to AlistairB:
> (In reply to UKC News) Is that the first repeat of Hugh?

A.Lamberti (2001); P.Bollinger et Daï Koyamada (2002)

http://charentescalade.chez.com/voies/hugh.htm
 Paul Crusher R 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric: For someone who has been at the top of the game and is still way up there after 30yr, and someone who has struggled to make his bread and butter as pro climber, they deserve all the publicity thats available.
 Ian Jones 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:

Obviously you are not well aquainted. He is a giant among men. A physiche, mentality and appetite that few of us could comprehend.
He is also unafraid to speak the truth, no matter how unpalatable that may be to you or your ilk.
 CBA 27 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News: Right on.Stevie's a legend.Love him or hate him,you can't ignore him,or his contribution to climbing worldwide over the last three decades.More power to him and his big gobbed publicity machine.
 hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:
> He is a giant among men

'lol'

You might wanna wipe your nose, you've got brown on it.
 orge 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:

and you want to check the chip on your shoulder.
 roddersm 27 Apr 2010
In reply to orge: Agreed maybe you want to stick your timeline of achievments on here Hexentric. I'm sure deserve our pr too.

Anyways great stuff always really enjoyed Stevies articles and I'm really glad about these series of articles. Stevie although I've never met him is one of the few characters left in british climbing. He talks the talk and walks the walk. He certainly inspires me.
 hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to roddersm:

18:10 chuckled a little.
18:26 smiled inwardly at the folly of man.
18:32 contemplated dinner.
 Mr Lopez 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
His latest article/review was excellent http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2600 Well written, and a far cry from the old magazine rants.
I look forward to reading his future articles, and if i don't like them, well, i won't read them. But i surely won't be posting crap just to bring down the man. What would be the point of that?
 liz j 27 Apr 2010
In reply to Mr Lopez:
Unfortunately, hexcentric seems to make a habit of it. To quote from a previous thread.

"Strange cat this Stevie Haston. Seems bitter and insecure, writes like an autistic child, hard to work out why he even cares about Scottish winter, but maybe he's just having a laugh at everyone's expense."

Maybe he should look at himself before he opens his mouth, think it is him who has the problem.
 hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to liz j:

Aye hen. Winding folk up never gets old, I'm sure Stevie would agree.
 jazzyjackson 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to The Purple Pimpernel)
> [...]
>
> 'lol'
>
> You might wanna wipe your nose, you've got brown on it.

lol

too easy to be a cynic pecker breath

jazzyjackson 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to roddersm)
>
> 18:10 chuckled a little.
> 18:26 smiled inwardly at the folly of man.
> 18:32 contemplated dinner.
> 18:33 ate a jobby sandwich

hexcentric 27 Apr 2010
In reply to jazzyjackson:

Good man, that's more like it
 jazzyjackson 27 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson)
>
> Good man, that's more like it

glad you liked it, its a Jamie Oliver recipe, bit tangy for me but I thought it'd suit you.
 Paul Crusher R 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric: Your not fooling anyone hexcentric, multiple wind ups over the same subject and same man. Obsessive and Jealous springs to mind. I think you should direct your energies into improving that diary you so like to tell us about. Jobbies n all.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Apr 2010
In reply to roddersm:
> He talks the talk

That's probably something that everybody can agree on
 hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Paul R & Andy:

Amateur psychologists of UKC unite eh?

I keep having this dream where I'm wrestling Stevie Haston in a paddling pool filled with olive oil, what do you think it means?
 Paul Crusher R 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric: There's nowt amateur and nowt psychologist about stating the obvious. I think you've been reading razzel too much.
 beardy mike 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric: That you're gunna get a schooling
 hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to mike kann:

Aye funny you should say that, he always wins.

Thank god my Obsessive Jealousy takes me no further than remarking on the poorness of his writing and the fact you can't open a magazine without seeing his face these days eh?
 Karl Bromelow 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to mike kann)
>
> Aye funny you should say that, he always wins.
>
> Thank god my Obsessive Jealousy takes me no further than remarking on the poorness of his writing and the fact you can't open a magazine without seeing his face these days eh?

You demonstrated diabolically poor writing skills yourself with that last post, sunshine. I'll not bother indicating the numerous points that could do with some proof reading assistance.

Laying your lame opinions aside, I'd like to say that I enjoy reading Stevie Haston's musings. I admire his climbing talent and the many contributions he has made across a wide range of climbing disciplines. I am entertained by his maverick character. I don't hero worship anybody. Few climbers do. Irreverence is surely the norm amongst climbers and not the brown nosing "vexed"centric considers the positive comments from posters here to be displaying.

hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Karl Bromelow:

I'm writing on an internet forum you colon, spot the difference.
Serpico 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to Karl Bromelow)
>
> I'm writing on an internet forum you colon, spot the difference.

Are you saying there are now 2 different versions of (UK) English? Regular and Internet?

hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Serpico:

Could be an interesting discussion, but no. Only that a lesser standard of writing is to be expected from a tossed-off forum post than from a paid magazine article or even blog post. Surely we can agree on this comrades?
 Tyler 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:

> you can't open a magazine without seeing his face these days eh?

Are you saying the amount of coverage he gets is diproportionate to his achievemnts/standing? I'm struggling to think of anyone who is of more interest in the UK climbing scene.
 UKB Shark 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Serpico:

There are loads - Queens, Cockney, Geordie...

On Internet forums it isnt yet clear whether Oxford, spoken veranacular or txtspeak will win.

hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Not really, I'm just enjoying the disproportionate reaction to a bit of tongue-in-cheek abuse. Can't say I expected quite so much mileage, UKC doesn't disappoint!
In reply to hexcentric:
>
> I'm writing on an internet forum you colon, spot the difference.

You probably missed a question mark off that one, you sphincter!

I'll now wait for your next "disproportionate reaction".

Try harder you stool aperture!
mscott79 28 Apr 2010
much respect due old school geeza who has done more than most.his atittude and work ethic should be employed by more of you who try to discredit or bad mouth him generaly mess about on if lucky a 20ft lump of grit and maintain its about E8/E9 when its 6 moves top to bottom.in one of the safest enviroments to climb, pioneering stuff!
 hexcentric 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Karl Bromelow:

Nah, enough for now. Peace.
In reply to hexcentric:
>
> Nah, enough for now. Peace.

And love, brother, and love. Now back to my cuppa.

Serpico 28 Apr 2010
In reply to mscott79:
> ... generaly mess about on if lucky a 20ft lump of grit and maintain its about E8/E9 when its 6 moves top to bottom.in one of the safest enviroments to climb,

Sadly people have died falling from these lumps of grit. Are you suggesting they could have died more elsewhere?

gritstoner 28 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Surely it's possible to separate Steve the human being from Steve the athlete from Steve the product from Steve the writer.

To make an exaggerated analogy (and by no means implying any criminal activity of any British climbers): Mark Gator Rogowski was a top skateboard pro in the 1980s who then went on to murder his ex-girlfriend. I hope I'm entitled to criticise him on ethical grounds for that, despite my aerials being fairly pedestrian.

How agout we give grades for interpersonal and presentational skills as well?
 Ian Jones 28 Apr 2010
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to The Purple Pimpernel)
> [...]
>
> 'lol'
>
> You might wanna wipe your nose, you've got brown on it.

That's no nice.

I guess you haven't hung out with him much.
 TobyA 28 Apr 2010
In reply to gritstoner:
> Mark Gator Rogowski was a top skateboard pro in the 1980s who then went on to murder his ex-girlfriend. I hope I'm entitled to criticise him on ethical grounds for that, despite my aerials being fairly pedestrian.

A genuine LOL. Post of the day.
 franksnb 28 Apr 2010
In reply to mscott79: urrrrrrrr.......

in reply to the op: im setting my alarm clock, I hope hexcentrics gets a mention
Ackbar 28 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News: So the first article will be about his childhood? Ok, that will be one to miss then. I really hate it, in otherwise good climbing books, when they talk about their childhood. It's dull and so predictable. If this one is any different, please let me know.
 Sargey 28 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Good banter as always... I'm with Hexcentric with this one, yes he's a great climber, and certainly seems to be a "character" but he doesn't come across like a top bloke like some of the other climbers he is often very critical of.

Obviously I don't know him or anything, maybe hes lovely in person, but IMHO he doesn't put himself across very well on these forums and his blog.

Anyway, back to 3,500 words on the Spanish planning system for tomorrow...
Ackbar 28 Apr 2010
In reply to Sargey: Agreed, I am with Sargey and Hexcentric on this one. But I guess UKC win either way as they get lots of hits from those who like this guy and those who think he is a %@#$!!!!
 newbyclimber 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Stevie - what grammar school did you go to? I went to school near there.
The Anderz 29 Apr 2010
In reply to UKC News: SICK! Stevie is a a MUTANT!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...