UKC

OI NEWS: Dine in a Mine with Julia Bradbury at Keswick Mountain Fest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 May 2010
[ EAT LIKE A CHAMPAGNE-LOVING CAVEMAN  MOUNTAINOUS PORTIONS AND YOUR OWN SLATE GUARANTEED #1, 2 kb]It's a black tie dinner on Friday 21 May with a radical difference: set in the cavernous glory of the 900 year-old Honister Slate Mine, deep in the heart of the Lake District.

The truly unique dining experience starts with a champagne and canapes reception in Keswick then a ride up to the legendary mine in 4 x 4s. Dinner – also inside the mine – will be in a section which has been especially opened up into a glorious dining room with views over the jaw-dropping beauty of the stunning Borrowdale valley.

Tickets for the dinner-of-a-lifetime event are £125 per person and the evening will be hosted by BBC1’s Countryfile presenter and outdoor evangelist Julia Bradbury.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2729

hexcentric 13 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
For that money she'd better be in the skud.
 NickD 13 May 2010
Julia Bradbury: totally would.
Removed User 13 May 2010
In reply to hexcentric: For that money I better be eating sushi off her.
 toad 13 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Black Tie Dinner? At Honister Slate Mine? Won't somebody think of the Children!!
 biscuit 13 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Might be nice to say where the money is going ? Is it a charity thing or is it to be used to buy Mark Weir more aviation fuel ?
 newhey 13 May 2010
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Might be nice to say where the money is going ? Is it a charity thing or is it to be used to buy Mark Weir more aviation fuel ?

Come on, the man is only doing his daily commute
 MHutch 13 May 2010
In reply to newhey:

Apparently the dining chamber can also serve as a morgue during mountain marathon events.
 Donny Jaws 13 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Not entirely sure about the 'outdoor evangelist' bit - getting a heli lift off a wainrights . . . bit of a lightweight - she's all for tv viewing and nowt else.
 Sam_in_Leeds 13 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'd pay £125 to touch Julia Bradbury.

Will that be allowed?
Removed User 14 May 2010
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: You do know she's half greek?
 Ridge 14 May 2010
In reply to Removed User:

PMSL! That's just ruined Sam's day!
 ClimberEd 14 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

It really doesn't say what it's for.

I presume at that cost it's for some charity? It's the Lakes, not Mayfair........
 mcdougal 16 May 2010
In reply to ClimberEd:

Funding the Greek deficit?
 simes303 17 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

We got shouted at when we went, so I wrote the owner the following letter:

To the ANGRY man in the land rover.

Dear angry man. We were delightfully amused at your way over the top ranting and swearing at us when you intercepted us as we strolled down from the slate mine at the beginning of the month. You seemed to be in a terrible flap. May I recommend that you visit a doctor to check your blood pressure? Safety first and all that…

On the subject of safety, you appeared to be under the mistaken impression that we had been in some sort of danger whilst in the mine. This couldn’t have been further from the truth. We are all veterans of many hundreds of hard caving trips in many of the country’s most severe systems, and, with the exception of one of us, have rock climbed to a high standard across the UK and in the Alps for over 15 years. Indeed, had we not caught up with a very slow group just before the first Via Ferrata section, we would have continued (without safety equipment) around the circuit.

The main concern of your frantic outburst seemed to be that in the event of one of us sustaining an injury, all (30?) of your employees would end up jobless (and hence their families homeless etc). This seems to suggest to me that you are failing to do a proper job and should maybe be replaced by someone with a touch more foresight. Do you honestly believe that with a road directly to the UNLOCKED mine entrance, 2 small keep out signs will prevent 100% of your visitors from entering the mine? If what you say about the future of your employees is true (and I very much doubt it), then quite honestly you can only be described as very foolish and totally negligent. Get a gate on the entrance and don’t take out your frustration on the odd few who just happen to be a bit curious.

During your shouting fit, you asked if we had considered the possibility of our setting off any dynamite that we happened to come across. It occurs to me to ask whether you have considered the repercussions to yourself and (30?) staff of blowing up a whole group of innocent day trippers that happened to come across the dynamite that you appear to have very carelessly left around your mine. If I were you, I would get it removed in the very near future.

Im sorry we didn’t stop to give you our names, addresses, phone numbers, registration numbers, blood groups and IQs. You seemed so eager to take this information, but when we got back to the car you were nowhere to be seen. I suppose you might have just been all mouth and no balls but I’d like to think not. As for threatening us with police action, I suggest you examine what the law has to say about trespass.

One more thing springs to mind. It might be a nice idea to try to limit your swearing when you are in the company of children. The lad in the land rover with you might appreciate that.

Anyway, thank you for a lovely day and we hope to see you again next year.
I have attached some pictures of our visit.

Yours Simon N.
 JDal 17 May 2010
In reply to simes303:
Lovely stuff. You missed out the bit that leaving explosives lying around the workplace is about as illegal a it gets in the negligence area Like taking fags down the pit.

I hate that bloody mine and its owner, can't believe a do there gets advertising on here. Just my 2ds worth.
 MJH 17 May 2010
In reply to JDal:
> I hate that bloody mine and its owner, can't believe a do there gets advertising on here. Just my 2ds worth.

After the farce with his involvement and comments on the OMM a couple of years back, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I could be wrong, but isn't the VF on open access land - so if he has been threatening folk who walk through the mine then he is not exactly on sound legal footing.
 Steve Perry 17 May 2010
In reply to simes303: Great letter, he sounds a tit. I heard he blew the OMM situation into the next galaxy with his exaggerations to the press.

Julia Bradbury, bit of a big nose for 125 quid thanks.
 toad 17 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Have we got to the bottom of whether this is a purely commercial evening, or if the profit is for something more worthwhile than a post industrial business venture
murdster 17 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

It probably costs £125 because big-nose Bradbury charges a fortune to 'host the evening'.

Also, I would hardly describe it as the 'dinner-of-a-lifetime'(unless you like to jerk off to Countryfile).
 HATTSTER 17 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Julia , yes I definitely would, as for dinner in the mine we used to through there most weekends when i was younger and have had dinner (packed lunch hehe) in there many a time.
Dylan Wilson 17 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

By a strange coincidence I'm having a dinner of a lifetime in my workshop. Hosted by ex Coronation Street barmaid and armchair evangelist Bet Lynch. Tickets only £500 with all proceeds going to me.
 Rip van Winkle 24 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Well, it's all over now. I only hope the mug punters got better coffee than the appalling instant dishwater (guess - bought from the cheapest cash & carry) at £1.50 a mug they served up for me and the missus when went there a couple of years ago.
 Trangia 24 May 2010
In reply to JDal:
> (In reply to simes303)
> Lovely stuff. You missed out the bit that leaving explosives lying around the workplace is about as illegal a it gets in the negligence area Like taking fags down the pit.
>
> I hate that bloody mine and its owner, can't believe a do there gets advertising on here. Just my 2ds worth.
>

Isn't the owner the hero of the 2008 Mountain Marathon storm? Without his kindness and consideration all the competitors would have perished?
Cornelius Kite 24 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Talking of mines and quarries, here's a picture of Julia jumping off Nicky's Leap...

http://www.taylorherring.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/File1-Julia-Br...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...