UKC

NEW REVIEW: Stretchman Jacket from Marmot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 28 May 2010
[Jack Geldard climbing a classic 7a+ in the Stretchman Jacket at a windy Freyr, Belgium, 3 kb]UKC Editor Jack Geldard takes the Stretchman Jacket climbing.

"Like a typical man, I opened the packet, put the jacket on and started wearing it..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2786

In reply to UKC Gear: That looks like a nice jacket! Very tempted.
 TobyA 28 May 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Jack - I'm a bit confused - do you seen it more as a waterproof made out of nice soft material? Or is it a softshell with much better water resistance than most? Have you found it sweaty (one of the few negatives to the Marmot Genesis I reviewed)? If not - it sounds like they're on to a real winner.

Oddly I had a very quick look on the Marmot website, but couldn't find it there.
 Jack Geldard 28 May 2010
In reply to TobyA: Hi Toby,

At first I thought it was just a softshell. Then I wore it in the rain and discovered it was really waterproof, which I thought was pretty cool.

After some research it became apparent that the fabric is waterproof -

"A lamination technology that rates a whopping 20,000mm in waterproof performance and 20,000 gr in breathability."

Given that, as far as I understand, but I am prepared to be corrected, a rating of just 1,000mm is considered to be 'waterproof' this jacket is pretty damn waterproof at 20,000mm.

I didn't do any fancy tests, I wore it in the rain and it kept me dry.

It wasn't more sweaty than my other softshells, so yes it was pretty good!

It is light weight though, so I wouldn't drag it up too many granite chimneys!

Jack
 Stuzz 28 May 2010
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I think, and may well be wrong that is has to have a HH of 5000 to be classed as waterproof (1000 for water resistant maybe?) Goretexis about 40,000 i believe but may vary depending on the type (paclite, proshell etc), Event is 30,000 and most coated fabrics (TNF HyVent, Berg AQ2 etc.) come in at about 15,000. So 20,000 for a soft shell is pretty impressive! Especailly as Event only breathes at 17,000g/m2/24hrs.

Looks like a great jacket!
 Jack Geldard 28 May 2010
In reply to Stuzz: Thanks Stuzz, Wikipedia isn't a faultless resource, but I think it agrees with me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterproof_fabric

I will email some manufacturers and ask them.

But yes, either way 20,000 is waterproof!

Cheers,

Jack

In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: How is the sizing Jack? I don't have any Marmot gear, and the local shops don't stock this jacket
 Jack Geldard 28 May 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Hi NIck,

I have a large, and I have reviewed a fair amount of Marmot stuff, and usually I am a large in their sizing.

The sizes seem to be very consistent throughout the ranges as far as I have experienced.

The jacket is a standard fit - not a funny shape. Perhaps you could try a similar Marmot jacket?

You're welcome to check mine out next time I am over in Sheffield - probably in a week or so.

Cheers,

Jack
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Thanks Jack. Are you normally a large in jackets from other manufacturers? Arc'teryx, Rab, etc?
 Green Fuse 01 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
How abrasion resistant do you think it is/will prove to be Jack ?
 Marmot UK 02 Jun 2010

Find out more information about Marmot's Strata fabric by clicking on the following link below:

http://marmot.com/membrain_strata

Jack Geldard 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Nick Smith: Hi Nick, yes. I'm usually a large.

In reply to Green Fuse: Well, it is holding out well so far, but it is a lightweight jacket.

I would say it is well built and the fabric isn't that really paper thin stuff you get on the really super light ultra-marathon type waterproofs.

I guess it depends on exactly what and how often you are using it for.

I'm (now it's summer) mainly using mine as an all round cragging jacket, so it's not getting the hammer it might be if I was guiding day in, day out in it, so it looks virtually brand new still! But I do climb quite a lot.

Cheers,

Jack
 gear boy 03 Jun 2010
In reply to Stuzz: British standard for water proof is 1500mm HH, paclite is no where near 40,000 plus not very breathable, the coatings you mention have differing versions, most are actually around the 8-10,000,

Breathability and waterproofing vary for the same membrane or coating depending on the face fabric used,

the scientific breathability test gives event around the same breathability as pro shell gore tex around 20-25,000, but due to how the 2 fabrics work the real breathability of event is higher, yes, i own both fabrics, and I can confirm neither are breathable enough for all conditions and neither are waterproof enough for all conditions, when it comes down to it, you will get wet at some point,

Jacks test of a nice stretchy lightweight jacket, with a 20,000 will cope very well in a summer thunderstorm, but you will still get condensation inside, like you do with all jackets, apart from P@r@m0 but then you just get too hot in the summer

geek out over

sorry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...