UKC

5 year old rock accident needs help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattDTC 28 May 2010
This broke my heart to hear about;

http://sharmenhope.com/zaliya/
http://mountain.ru/article/article_display1.php?article_id=4496

I don't know anything else about the situation, but I hope she pulls through, and they raise the money they need.
 Ropeboy 29 May 2010
In reply to MattDTC:

Bump
 Panda 29 May 2010
In reply to MattDTC: that is so sad. I really hope people do help.

I am not in any way making light of this, but if i'd been belaying I think there'd have been a danger of the leader being injured too - how do you not drop 'everything' and rush to that child as an instinct?

tradmania 30 May 2010
In reply to MattDTC:

scam?
grindelwald 30 May 2010
In reply to tradmania: It's been reported in several Turkish newspapers where Rakhmetov moved to 4 years ago.
 LastBoyScout 30 May 2010
In reply to grindelwald:

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean it's true - a quick google reveals that most reports have the same story, almost verbatim, which might be a case of them all printing the same press release and not different journalist's copy.

I'm afraid the cynical part of me tends to think it's a scam - it's too similar to other scams.
 iain_cbr 30 May 2010
In reply to MattDTC: First thing I though was scam. I'm all too cautious these days! I'd be happy to donate a few quid if I could be assured that it was going to a good cause and that there isn't some dude somewhere ready to rip me off good style...
chris05 31 May 2010
I think its very convenient to believe its a scam. Personally I'm prepared to take the risk in the hope that I might be helping someone. just a thought...
 Jamie B 31 May 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:

It wouldnt be too hard to verify the report by contacting a credible source (Turkish National fedaration?)

I'm going to take an alternative (and inevitably unpopular) approach to not paying any money. I dont care enough. I know that there is a vast amount of human misery out in the world that my small disposable income could partially assist. But of all the suffering people that I have never and will never meet, I cannot put one ahead of the other because they share my leisure interest. Sorry; it doesnt make me feel good either.
In reply to MattDTC: I was at the Bouldering World Cup in Austria over the weekend and the Russian Team was there. They confirmed that everything is true.
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: At least you are being honest.

It's closer to home for me as I know Salavat.
Chris Ellyatt 31 May 2010
In reply to MattDTC:

Helmet?
chris05 31 May 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

I do appreciate your honesty. I didn't give because of the leisure interest thing; I simply feel I should do something when I hear about someone in need. Dont get me wrong, I dont look for people to help so could definitely do more. To argue that you cant put one person ahead of another is a strange argument when it results in helping no-one.

Shoule add I didn't give much, and perhaps only gave as it made me feel better...
 Jamie B 31 May 2010
In reply to chris05:

> To argue that you cant put one person ahead of another is a strange argument when it results in helping no-one.

I help the people who I am close to and who are dear to me.

Tallie 31 May 2010
In reply to Graeme Alderson: This is quite close to home for me too-I've just become a father and will be taking my daughter to crags in the future... I've made a small donation.

Presumably those that didn't donate earlier due to concerns over the veracity of the appeal (like me) can now feel reassured and give whatever they can afford.
 Heike 01 Jun 2010
In reply to MattDTC:
It's horrible. Hope she is getting better. I am just trying to bump this post really.
 Quiddity 01 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris Ellyatt:

not the place.
 Phil79 01 Jun 2010
In reply to MattDTC:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=411074

picked up on the news page here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...