UKC

Radio Show Recommendations Sought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonfun21 03 Jun 2010
Listening to the radio last night got my thinking about my favourite radio shows over time, my summary was as below:

6th Form and Uni: Mark and Lard (R1, was gutted the day they left)
Post Uni: Evening Session with Steve Lamacq (R1) and some stuff on XFM
Currently: Radcliffe & Maconie (R2, currently main reason I don't mind paying my licence fee) Gideon Coe (6 Music)

What else have others enjoyed and/or are currently listening to thats worth a try?

Doing a fair bit of commuting to London at back at the moment so trying to find stuff to listen to etc.
 thin bob 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21: i'm not taking the piss, but Radio 4 is good for driving. And it's practically culture & education. Don't get into the Archer's, though......shipping forecast, fine, Archers, nooooooooo .

BBC Asian radio is good, funky bhangra
OP jonfun21 03 Jun 2010
In reply to thin bob: Thanks, always thought of R4 as something my mum would listen too (she is a keen Archers fan!) but will give it a try.

balmybaldwin 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

I find Absolute Radio has some good shows, not sure who really presents them or what they are called as I don't par attention, but the music is great... Breakfast and Drive home shows very good as is the Geoff show in the evenings.

Dave Gorman and Frank Skinner are good at the weekends too
 Mord 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

Ditto your choices and Radio 4 is good. 'Today' to get you to work, 'PM' to start getting you home and the 6.30pm comedy is sometimes great. Afternoon plays can be good if you are on the road during the day and some intersting stuff at 4.30pm too sometimes.

M.
 Tom Last 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

Absolute is ok, but never seem able to pick it up.

Agree that Radio 4 is good for driving, especially if you get some of the comedies, just a minute, sorry I haven't a clue etc - not sure what time they're on (if they're still on?)

XFM with Dave Berry is the best of the morning drive time shows IMHO, he's actually quite funny, not the bloke in the evening though who is crap.
 Axel Smeets 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

Radio 4 is everything the BBC should be. Tremendously informative, intelligent news reporting and highly entertaining. It's the only station that's ever been used on my car and home radio (other than Radio Sheffield for football commentary and 5Live for Sunday sports news).

There's always something interesting on Radio 4. And at 10pm each weeknight, The World Tonight rounds up everything you need to know about current affairs in 45 minutes.

seankenny 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21: Fully agree with all the R4 recommendations. If you've got an iPod then download "This American Life" from NPR in the States for some wonderful stories, about, well... life.

The New NickB 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

I love Radio 4, but cannot bring myself to tune into Radio 2, even for Mark Radcliffe.

I don't do commercial radio at all and do most of my listening in the car, or in the kitchen in the early evening.

Mornings I flick between 5Live (can only take so much Nicky Campbell) and Today.

I like Kermode on 5 on friday afternoon, but I suspect long term that will be shipped to Radio 2.

Usually a range of interesting programmes on Radio 4 between 4 and 5 pm, then PM, the news, the 6.30 comedy slot ranges from very good to quite poor.

Toby S 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

A mix for me.

Morning will be Chris Evans or Radio 4 in the morning depending on whether I want something informative of banal noise to wash over me.

Going home - Radio Scotland or Radio 4.

Daytime I'll flick between Macaulay and Co (Radio Scotland), 6 music if I'm at work and Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 if I feel like shouting at the radio for a while.

In the evening 'Get it on' on Radio Scotland can be bloody good with a cracking range of music. Bruce Dickinson's Friday night rock show on 6 music used to be required listening till they bloody well cancelled it. (His tribute to RJ Dio last week was brilliantly done).

Oh and I listen to a fair bit of Radio nan Gaidheal if I want local news, the music can be good of an evening too!
OP jonfun21 03 Jun 2010
In reply to Toby S: Thanks lots of recommendations there, didn't realise R4 was so popular! More into music but will give it a try. I used to really like Absolute but went off it a bit as they seem to play a lot of the same songs
In reply to jonfun21:
Lots of great stuff on Radio 6 Music, especially Marc Riley & Gideo Coe, worth getting a DAB radio for.
 Kimono 03 Jun 2010
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
> Lots of great stuff on Radio 6 Music, especially Marc Riley & Gideo Coe, worth getting a DAB radio for.

ditto...plus Lauren Laverne and the guy who does the late night jukebox (well, actually he has got a rather irritating voice but he tends to keep it brief and plays some good tunes)

steev 03 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

Absolutely loving Lauren Laverne's show on 6music atm.
smblott 04 Jun 2010

Radio 4

Almost everybody becomes a Radio 4 listener eventually -- just perhaps not the Archers.
 nufkin 04 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:
> More into music

John Peel's programme was the zenith of radio music shows - never mind 6Music, let's try to get the BBC to put him back on air...
 The New NickB 04 Jun 2010
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
> [...]
>
> John Peel's programme was the zenith of radio music shows - never mind 6Music, let's try to get the BBC to put him back on air...

Know that would be 'dead air'.
 nufkin 04 Jun 2010
In reply to The New NickB:

Perhaps people could be persuaded that it was merely one of his more avant-garde selections?
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2010
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
> [...]
>
> John Peel's programme was the zenith of radio music shows - never mind 6Music, let's try to get the BBC to put him back on air...

Ton Ravenscroft starts on 6Music tonight, definitely a chip of the old block, although I've yet to hear him playing any records at the wrong speed

Good radio shows at the moment - Shaun Keaveny, Lauren Laverne, Steve Lamacq, Marc Riley, Gideon Coe on the weekdays, Tom Robinson, Jarvis Cocker, Jon Holmes, Liz Kershaw, Guy Garvey at the weekends. Andrew Collins whenever he's filling in. And of course Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone - sometimes it's a bit challenging, maybe too much folk, certainly too much Jazz, but always interesting.

6Music is well worth buying a digital radio for

OP jonfun21 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: Have DAB at home, am considering buying a portable one now if I continue to travel lots
 Ropeboy 13 Jun 2010
In reply to jonfun21:

Radio 4 is brilliant, I also listen to Radio 7 on the DAB in the kitchen whilst cooking, washing up etc, fabulous, comedy, sci-fi, drama and much more.

J
 ChrisBrooke 13 Jun 2010
In reply to seankenny: I'm a real radio head. If you like This American Life, try The Third Coast Festival podcast 'Resound'. They curate the best features and documentaries from around the world, every week. It's probably the most consistently excellent programme I know of, and often moves me to (nearly) tears.
 jfmchivall 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
> In the evening 'Get it on' on Radio Scotland can be bloody good with a cracking range of music.

Get It On is great.

The 8-10pm music shows on Radio Scotland are all amazing. Marie-Anne Kennedy, Archie Fisher and Stephen Duffy have all enriched my musical life immensely. I've bought many albums and been to many gigs after hearing music on one of those shows.

If you can't get the Radio Scotland signal because you live in the wrong place, then they're all available on iPlayer.

Anyone that suggests cuts in the BBC license fee is a philistine and wrong.

Philip 14 Jun 2010
PM on Radio 4 is okay, but the preview of the headlines, followed by the headlines really pisses me off. Also, when they interview someone at 17:25 and then play a clip of the same person in the 17:30 news headlines - especially if it's cut in a way that doesn't giev the true impression of the quote.

Radio 4 comedy at 6:30 on Mon and Fri is good.

Even listened to some Bob Harris last week. Must be getting old now.
 Philip 14 Jun 2010
Don't get a DAB - get an Internet Radio. Then you get all the BBC stations + listen again! Most of my radio listening is on demand stuff from R2, 4, 6 or 7.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...