UKC

iTrip-like devices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2010
I am a few years behind the times on this.
My previous 2 car stereos were of the "radio cassette" variety and I had one of those pretend tapes with a wire to 3.5mm jack so I could plug a CD player or mp3 player in.

Now I have a CD player in the car.
You can guess the rest from the OP, "recommend me a blah blah, cheap please" Petrol stations sometimes sell them cheaply, are they rubbish? What are the criteria I need to look out for? I assume they are all now legal.

(funnily enough the thing I most want to do is plug my cassette Walkman(*) in OK I could spend the money on something to digitise my tapes but where's the quasi-Luddite, Heath-Robinsonesque charm in that ehh)

* not strictly a Walkman, it is a Panasonic

Ta!
 spacey 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I had one from Belkin which was ok, but it was pretty fiddly and around big cities there is no chance of finding a decent channel. I also use a Pure highway digital radio that allows you to connect an ipod through it and that works well because it does a search for you and finds the strongest channel. If you can find a small, cheap device with a search facility like that then your sorted. I haven't found one, but good luck. I tend to still take a stack of cds with me and enjoy having a limited choice of old favs, it certainly saves alot of faff.
 Adders 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: griffin things go into cigarette charger and use FM station into ipod - it also charges it up as it goes which is handy.

had one for about 2 years and it works great
 Chris F 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: I have found that they depend a lot on where the aerial is in the car. I know this sounds daft, but we had a hire car in the US that had the aerial mounted just above the boot window and the reception was rubbish. In the van the aerial is a wire embedded in the windscreen, and reception is brilliant.
In reply to spacey:

Yes there is the "just take CDs" thing, I enjoy the same "charm". Indeed, as I said in the OP, this is more to do with wanting to play a few old fave tapes
 Eagle River 04 Jun 2010

My gf has the Belkin one. It also charges the ipod and has 4 preset stations so you can set them to empty channels in your area and switch between them if you start to get interference.
 hamsforlegs 04 Jun 2010

Just took a Belkin job on a roadtrip to and from Font. Generally it worked very well, but definitely needed a lot of shifting around on some road stretches to find a clear signal which would have been fairly tricky for a driver without a passenger. That said, the French airwaves seemed really crowded and there was no problem in London.

Antennae position will have a big impact; we could usually get much better signal by holding the transmitter against the radio, presumably getting round the problem.
 control freak 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: I had the Belkin one but it (as you know) recently stopped working (after < one year) leaving me with only a single Transvision Vamp cassette and a shortly-afterwards-lost first aid kit cassette.
In reply to amanonaspeedingbike:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
>
> Antennae position will have a big impact; we could usually get much better signal by holding the transmitter against the radio, presumably getting round the problem.

I had the same issue.

In hindsight, mine may have stopped working due to being slammed repeatedly inside the glove locker, who knows.
 Adders 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Adders: the griffin one does not need to keep changing stations. it works all the time for me.
In reply to control freak:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I had the Belkin one but it (as you know) recently stopped working (after < one year) leaving me with only a single Transvision Vamp cassette and a shortly-afterwards-lost first aid kit cassette.

Soon to be remedied, as you know!
In reply to control freak:
>
>
> mine may have stopped working due to being slammed repeatedly inside the glove locker, who knows.

I've heard that line before, but they weren't talking about a Belkin transmitter...

Steve John B 04 Jun 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: Can't you plug your walkman into your computer and "record" the tapes into digital, then stick em on a CD?

I've just moved over from cassette car stereo to CD too - some songs just don't sound the same without the pops and crackles from the original vinyl, overlayered with the hiss of a dolbyless cassette. Having more than 1 watt per channel outweighs any nostalgia though!
> (In reply to control freak)
> [...]
>
> Soon to be remedied, as you know!

I found my copy of the big black and the blue btw!
 Andy Hudson 04 Jun 2010
You just need to be careful not to get one specifically designed for an ipod as they have (as well as the 3.5mm plug) a connector strip on that picks up power from the ipod.

Any that are designed for personal stereos should come with a lead to connect to your 12v power outlet (or cigarette lighter as they used to be called)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...