UKC

NEWS: Rock Over Opening Comp a success!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 06 Jun 2010
Would like to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who helped with and competed at the Rock Over Climbing Summer Festival, it was a massive success and a fantastic way to open our new centre!

All feedback is most appreciated as this is how we make ourselves better!

Full results can be found at:

http://www.rockoverclimbing.co.uk/news/summer-festival-results/

Thanks again.
 James Oswald 07 Jun 2010
In reply to maybe_si:
Don't charge people to join. Awesome walls doesn't.
James
 iain_cbr 07 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald: Agreed!
 ck85 07 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald:
Every other wall does though, and £5 for lifetime membership is very reasonable.
 4291 07 Jun 2010
In reply to ck85:

"every other wall does"

hmm, no they don't

OP maybe_si 07 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald:

But James I think you will find that we are also cheaper per session than the other centres by £0.80. If you come a few times then you will soon make your money back
 mmmhumous 09 Jun 2010
In reply to Anonymous:

I suppose the difference is people don't go and visit other local gyms / MA clubs very often (and they often get their first session fee ).

But in this case I don't know what all the fuss is about, as the non-member's price is only £1 extra, and it's only 20p more than Awesome's or MCC's members' prices.
 Tyler 09 Jun 2010
In reply to Anonymous:
> What is it with climbers complaining about registration fees? If you go join a gym or a karate club or any other sporting activity, there is in most cases a registration fee and these can vary massively from a pound to eighty depending on the venue! If you guys want new walls to open that offer fantastic facilities, you have to be prepared to support them in their initial set up . The guys at rock over ( who I dont personally know but think they have done an amazing job!) have heavily invested their savings into providing a facility for a market that is very small in comparison to other sports. They could have saved themselves masses and opened five a side pitches if they just wanted to make a quick buck! Instead of grumping over a fiver (what is that equivalent to? two pints?) just thank them for giving you another option next time you want to climb.

As someone who travels with work a lot I do get a bit annoyed by membership fees but its hard to begrudge them in this instance, its a brilliant facility, well placed and the extra cost of not joining and the membership fee itself are both pretty minimal. Compare it to Craggy Island whihc charges £10 annually.
In reply to maybe_si: it was a good day. Shame I had to leave before the final. I will be back, hopefully it will be a bit cooler next time! For the record £5 membership is exceptional value. If you don't like it, go elsewhere. You have rthe choice!
 philpdr 09 Jun 2010
In reply to James Oswald: Just be glad Manchester's got a dedicated bouldering gym at last.
In reply to philpdr:
> (In reply to James Oswald) Just be glad Manchester's got another dedicated bouldering gym at last.

philpdr 09 Jun 2010
In reply to Tim Broughtonshaw:Sorry,I meant a decent one at last.
In reply to philpdr: i'll assume you haven't been to broughton then.

Cheers
Tim
 philpdr 09 Jun 2010
In reply to Tim Broughtonshaw: Just the once.
 chalkyjim 09 Jun 2010
In reply to philpdr:
Don't upset the Broughton massif
broughtonwall 09 Jun 2010
In reply to philpdr:

Did you just spill my pint?
In reply to broughtonwall:
> (In reply to philpdr)
>
> Did you just spill my pint?

yeah, I heard him call your mother a whore too - get him!
ilovebolts 09 Jun 2010
In reply to maybe_si:

Just a quick mention, can you put Manchester in big writing somewhere on your website? After reading this thread and clicking 3 links on your site I finally found out whereabouts you are. (Yes I'm lazy)
OP maybe_si 09 Jun 2010
In reply to ilovebolts:

Hmm.... good call I shall get the site changed in the morning, thanks!
 Eagle River 10 Jun 2010
In reply to maybe_si:

I climbed at rock over for the first time last night and thought it was a really good venue. Loads of space and the big green block and comp wall are a decent height.

Are there any plans to put up route style problems traversing the side walls? I know you've got the traversing block upstairs but it'd be brilliant to have long routes traversing all the different angled walls.

Oh and some problems on the comp wall for mortals would be appreciated! (I think this is going to happen soon according to one guy I spoke to)

Great venue, will be back regularly in the winter.
OP maybe_si 10 Jun 2010
In reply to Eagle River:

Ian will be setting more problems on the comp wall on tuesday, there will be more problems for super heroes and mere mortals alike! We will also be adding a hard circuit and as a few people have mentioned we will be adding some more 'route length' boulder problems.

Remember folks all comments are welcome, if you dont tell us then we cant change the place!!

Cheers

Simon
 Paul Atkinson 10 Jun 2010
In reply to maybe_si: I stuck my head in for an hour the other day and was very impressed

not only is the bouldering superb but the building itself is a really nice space to be in - the most pleasant indoor wall I've ever been to

I'll be a regular customer

cheers, P
 philpdr 11 Jun 2010
In reply to broughtonwall: No but I peed in it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...