UKC

Getting home from South America on the cheap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HeatherF 11 Jun 2010
Pretty much what it says in the title! Anyone got any ideas of how i can get home to the Uk without an extortionate air fare!?
Much thanks good people of UKC!
 fried 11 Jun 2010
In reply to hetaher:

Crewing yachts?
 owlart 11 Jun 2010
In reply to hetaher: Can you still hitch lifts on cargo ships these days?

Have you thought about rowing?
 Caralynh 11 Jun 2010
In reply to hetaher:

1. sail the Atlantic in a bathtub. It's been done before.
2. avoid extortionate airfare by taking the Queen Mary. You only said it was the AIRfare you wanted to avoid after all
3. Commit a crime worthy of deportation.
 MJH 11 Jun 2010
In reply to hetaher: Where are you travelling from - S America is pretty large? Also when do you want to travel.

Airfares don't have to be extortionate - our return flights to Chile were £500 and we booked quite late (would have been cheaper if we had booked earlier)
OP HeatherF 12 Jun 2010
Probably either Chile or Peru, getting around isnt really an issue. Im having to cancel my current flights out. So trying to find cheap airlines etc to get back!
OP HeatherF 16 Jun 2010
Or, does anyone know cheap airlines operating through the Americas?
 oliwarlow 16 Jun 2010
In reply to hetaher:
you are most likely to find a cheap flight going to somewhere in Europe, rather than trying to get back to the u.k. Comet do some pretty cheap flight, but just to Spain I think. You may also pick something up form Iberia, Air France or Klm again going to be cheaper getting to their hubs rather than a u.k connection, spend a few hours on skyscanner working out the different routes. From Europe you can hitch home, or take a bus.
As far as I am aware, British registered cargo ships won't take passengers anymore so much harder to hitch rides than it used to be. the only real option for crewing yachts is from the Caribbean as that is where all the rich types spend the winter, but will cost a lot to get there from south America.
good luck!
 Scarab9 16 Jun 2010
In reply to oliwarlow:

pretty much summed up what I was going to say except that if you can get just into the US you can get cheap flights with Jetblue and possibly get a deal back form New York that isn't too bad maybe with Aer Lingus or if lucky with one of the main US airlines (though prob not on a one way).
Getting up to the US might be tricky...may Tam or someone similar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...