UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Mike Foley climbs Livin' Astro Glide (F8c+/9a)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Jun 2010
[Mike Foley - Livin' AstroGlide (5.14c/d), 3 kb]In this short video by Dave Wetmore we see climber Mike Foley tick the very difficult route of Livin' Astroglide at Rumney in New Hampshire USA.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=55460
amf37 11 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
This needs a Phil Collins health warning.
I strongly suggest listening with the sound turned _OFF_ ...
 James_D 11 Jun 2010
In reply to amf37:

true. Its also a bit... well... boring? I'm sure its very difficult and everything, but he makes it look very easy.
 Rampikino 11 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

The music does seem out of place and yes, the vid is a touch boring... oh well, you pays your money...
 philipivan 11 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Epic Collins. Banging
 La benya 11 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

another item a couple of days after 8a.nu... at least copy quickly
 andybenham 11 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: I feel dirty. Off to you tube to watch Dan Osman with a Metallica sound track to purge the collins.
 andybenham 11 Jun 2010
In reply to andybenham: ...which appears to have been removed .... arse
 simes303 12 Jun 2010
In reply to James_D:

Boring? I thought it was really good partly BECAUSE he makes it look easy.
 Fraser 12 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I liked the video, but there was definitely too much Phil for my liking. (It was ok for a while, but it didn't need the whole track.)

DW looked to have exquisite footwork though and the climbing was exceptional throughout.

Re 8Aa bagging it first: I don't visit that site, so was good to see it here. Cheers for airing.
 Baku Steve 12 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

No climbing video is ever good enough to justify Phil C. You can never get those seven minutes back.
 aln 12 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:I wondered where the spindrift was coming from.
 jon 13 Jun 2010
In reply to simes303:
> (In reply to James_D)
>
> Boring? I thought it was really good partly BECAUSE he makes it look easy.

Appallingly easy - hard to believe the grade when you see a performance like that.

Quiddity 13 Jun 2010
In reply to jon:

You know what they say - good climbing is making hard things look easy, bad climbing is making easy stuff look hard.

I thought it was a great vid, phil aside. Really smooth, intersting climbing.
 James_D 13 Jun 2010
In reply to simes303:

I dunno, it looked like he wasn't really trying very hard to me.

Without going off at too much of a tangent, i guess this is because he has redpointed the route, so the conclusion is almost inevitable - if he was onsighting it i would probably be more interested.
 Quiddity 13 Jun 2010
In reply to James_D:

It looked like he had it totally wired, yes. But not trying very hard? Surely the challenge of redpointing is being able to execute the movement perfectly even when you're on the verge of physical failure.

I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea but personally I really like watching videos of top end redpoints. It's movement of a fluidity that you just don't ever get when you watch someone onsighting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...