UKC

Sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
Yesterday I wore a new pair of (prscription) sunglasses for the first time. I noticed that as soon as I started walking(I had up to then been wearing my normal specs) I nearly tripped over. I think this was due to, for some reason or other, the ground appearing to look closer. As the day wore on my eyes seemed to adjust. Otherwise the glasses are fine, with good, clear vision. Has anyone else exoerienced this?
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mypyrex:
http://www.aviva.co.uk/health/home-of-health/latest-news/story/19801793/var...

Depends upon your prescription, (obviously, I would have thought.)
 Bob Hughes 13 Jun 2010
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

"Older people may be able to protect themselves from potentially life-threatening falls simply by leaving their varifocal glasses at home,"

Sounds like a Viz top tip.
OP mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Except that bothe prescriptions are the same.
 mrcog 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mypyrex: I get that exact same feeling too! I thought it was just me! And for me I don't really seem to adjust, but i make concious changes to how I walk... It still seems odd though... :|
OP mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mrcog: Hmmmm, given our age difference somewhat knocks Rob's idea on the head ;0)
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mypyrex: I'm familiar with the sensation wearing my vari sunspecs, and just expect it. I imagine depth perception could be compromised with different sunglass tints, people like Adidas and Maui Jim make a big fuss about how their sunspecs enhance depth perception, so presumably this takes some adjusting to, and also implies that others don't affect depth perception as predictably.

I haven't really thought about this before, you've given me an incentive to get a sample of some decent sunnies and try them climbing.
 Dominion 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mypyrex:

Are the lenses physically bigger in the sunglasses?

I had two pairs of glasses made up at the same time with identical prescription, but the sunglasses were slightly wider (prbably about 10% wider) and I get a bit of perspective distortion from that when I change glasses.

Also, if you have high density lenses, and a bigger glass area, there may be other factors involved, too.
OP mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
In reply to Dominion: Yes, I think they are a bit bigger, also the shape is different. The new ones are "wrap-around" glacier glasses.
OP mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Thanks for the comment Rob. These are the ones I got on line and, on yesterday's performance I'm quite pleased with them. They're comfortable, very clear and they look cool :0)
 Dominion 13 Jun 2010
In reply to mypyrex:

> Yes, I think they are a bit bigger, also the shape is different. The new ones are "wrap-around" glacier glasses.

Both of those factors will make a huge difference. Because they are wrap-around, the actual lens will probably be closer to your eyes than your normal glasses are. That's going to require an adjustment, quite apart from the difference in the shape of the lens.
OP mypyrex 13 Jun 2010
In reply to Dominion: Yes, there appears to be a bit more curvature although the lenses themselves are not completely "wrap-around".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...