UKC

NEWS: Age Restriction on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Jun 2010
[View from the South Summit of Everest, 2 kb]The UIAA has announced its support for the decision taken by the Chinese Tibet Mountaineering Association, to enforce age restrictions on those attempting the summit of Everest.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=55640
 euanryan 17 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: Looks like Jordan Romero's record will remain unbroken then!
 Tom_Harding 17 Jun 2010
Have there been a lot of deaths attributed to age?
 eschaton 17 Jun 2010
In reply to euanryan: only ascending from the tibetan side though
 Bruce Hooker 17 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Well that's b*ggered my plans then.... I've been gathering scaffolding poles for a new Anglo-Irish attempt on the N side for years... another three hundred clips and we would have been set! Damn those pesky reds, the age limit has put an end to my dream!
 Damo 18 Jun 2010
In reply to euanryan:
> (In reply to UKC News) Looks like Jordan Romero's record will remain unbroken then!

Unsurprisingly, maybe not: http://explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?id=19436

Anyway, if the Chinese can fake the age of their gymnasts at the Olympics, why not let kid climbers do the same? Or just pay a bribe to make it happen, like everything else in China.
 Trangia 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Well that's b*ggered my plans then.... I've been gathering scaffolding poles for a new Anglo-Irish attempt on the N side for years... another three hundred clips and we would have been set! Damn those pesky reds, the age limit has put an end to my dream!
>

Likewise. I've bought a telescopic ladder and was planning to experiment with it at Froggatt in the Three Pebble Slab Area. I've got the first 4 sections which reach 6m. I was about to write to the Mt Everest Foundation for an expedition grant to purchase the remaining 1333 sections and advice on where to recruit porters experienced in carrying ladder sections?

If these pesky Chinese are prepared to relent on the upper age limit, I've discovered that Chairman Mao lived to 82 years old when he was still capable of waving his little book, maybe we could mount a combined expedition whereby I could balance my extended ladder off your scaffolding?

That way are transport logistics would be solved as we could each take less? Are you interested in persuing this?

Bruce Hooker 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Trangia:

According to many it wasn't only his little red book he was waving until a ripe old age! He did some long distance swimming up to the end too, although "floating" may be a better term.

I'm afraid I've given up on the scaffolding venture, Pat and Mick have found better jobs in Dublin and this age limit is the last straw I'm worried about corgi problems too... would they allow the use of ladder balanced on scaffolding?
 knthrak1982 18 Jun 2010
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
... would they allow the use of ladder balanced on scaffolding?

Or something like this?

http://safetyphoto.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/safety_pictures-3.jpg
 Chris the Tall 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Are they also going to restrict "Hotties who haven't done any REAL climbing"
Tim Chappell 18 Jun 2010

Come on, you won't get a corgi up there. With their fat little waddling legs? No chance. You need a more route-specific dog, a poodle perhaps.
 Red Rover 18 Jun 2010
In reply to knthrak1982: That looks a bit shopped surely?
 knthrak1982 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Red Rover:

I'd have to agree. Unless he's very strong.
 muska25101847 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: quick get you 2 year olds up there

only joking to be fair id say thats a good thing younger i dont think you can have the know how on how to climb somthing that size i summited scafell at 14 and nevis at 15 and snowdon at 19 i know big gap but i dont think even now i have the know how summit everest so yes age limit is good thing on deadly peaks maybe even a min years of climbing limt
 Pino 19 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: let's hope to see the day breathing aid/equipment gets banned
Nick Colton, BMC 21 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Lindsay Griffin has also written on this on the BMC website here http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=3747

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...