UKC

NEWS: PHOTOS: Rockfall on Etive Slabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Jun 2010
[Chris Hague checks out the rockfall at the Etive Slabs, 3 kb]There has been a major rockfall at the Etive Slabs in Glen Etive.

Chris Hague was at the crag and gives us full details:

"Some of the rock landed directly on the Coffin Stone, some bounced over it, but what I also realised was lots of razor-sharp shards of rock showered the area with shrapnel."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=55674

Skyfall 18 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

There but for the grace of god and all that.

When climbing at venues with clear risk of large scale rockfall (eg. Tremadog) I do think about this, cross my fingers, and hope it happens at night! Clearly not in this instance but at least it wasn't at the weekend as Chris H said.
 jezb1 18 Jun 2010
In reply to JonC: I often think of rock fall when sitting at the mid point belay at Boulder Ruckle looking down at the massive boulder field below....
 DancingOnRock 19 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:

"We looked down and there was a huge dust cloud and smell of cordite coming up the crag on the updraft."

According to Wikipedai: Cordite is a family of smokeless propellants developed and produced in the United Kingdom from 1889 to replace gunpowder as a military propellant.
 Tobias at Home 19 Jun 2010
In reply to TimR:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> "We looked down and there was a huge dust cloud and smell of cordite coming up the crag on the updraft."
>
> According to Wikipedai: Cordite is a family of smokeless propellants developed and produced in the United Kingdom from 1889 to replace gunpowder as a military propellant.

Not sure what you mean by that quote - but rockfall most definitely does smell of cordite.
 Andy Long 19 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I wonder how the crevasse block is doing after this winter. That'd be a sight to see.
 DancingOnRock 19 Jun 2010
In reply to Tobias at Home:
> (In reply to TimR)
> [...]
>
> Not sure what you mean by that quote - but rockfall most definitely does smell of cordite.

Thanks. I just thought it was strange and googled it, nothing came up about rockfalls smelling of cordite.
 armus 21 Jun 2010
In reply to TimR:
> (In reply to Tobias at Home)
> [...]
>
> Thanks. I just thought it was strange and googled it, nothing came up about rockfalls smelling of cordite.

>> We all must hope that fallen rock dust does smell like cordite because the obvious alternative explanation is too awful to contemplate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...