UKC

NEWS: Rob Fielding - Lakes and Northumberland E8's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Jun 2010
[Rob Fielding making an ascent of Endless FLight Direct (E8 7a) at Great Wanney, 3 kb]Rob Fielding has recently hit a run of good form and has ticked several hard and high-ball problems and routes in the North East as well as climbing Dawes Rides a Shovel Head (E8) on Raven Crag in Langdale in the Lake District.

"I would say that the real peach of our recent adventures in Northumberland is a new boulder problem called PreparationH at Hepburn..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=55764

JM 21 Jun 2010
Good effort! Dawes Rides a Shovel Head is an awesome climb with a wild move at the end but needs to be down graded to E7 as it is not hard enough (Fr7b+) or dangerous enough to warrant E8.
Serpico 21 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
> Rob Fielding has recently hit a run of good form

Rob has a permanent run of good form.
 Tyler 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Serpico:

Looks like you've hit some form as well, well done.
 Ram MkiV 21 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News: nice spree of king line ticks that - inspiring stuff. Just wondering (in a slightly nerdy way) about the Dawes Rides a Shovel Head ascent as the style's a bit vague in the report. Was this a flash having abbed it? or does 'get it sorted' mean practicing the moves and headpoint. Great stuff either way and the new problem looks great.
Anyone any ideas on the story behind the route name Dawes Rides a Shovel Head?

Ross
 Jack Geldard 21 Jun 2010
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Hi Ross,

As far as I know, the route is so named because one of Dave's mates (presumably called Dawes, nothing to do with Johnny Dawes) rides a Harley Davidson Shovelhead motorbike.

Cheers,

Jack
 Michael Gordon 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Steve Ramsden:

Almost certainly a headpoint. It would have been made clear if this wasn't the case!
 Michael Gordon 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Steve Ramsden:

'Got it sorted' probably means he knew the moves after practicing them so was confident to go for it despite the gear not being bomber.
 Tom Peckitt 22 Jun 2010
In reply to UKC News:
PreparationH looks awesome!!
 GDes 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Tom Peckitt: Rob isn't one to overhype the quality of stuff. In fact unless it's pretty awesome, he'll say so (or not bother doing it). The way he was enthusing about Preperation H makes me think it must be something pretty special. If you can climb font 8A, I'd say it'll definitely be worth the drive.

Apparently Northern Soul (the 7A next to it) is one of northumberlands finest
 Ben Gilbert 22 Jun 2010
In reply to GDes:

I just did Northern Soul at the weekend and can confirm its awesome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...