UKC

'Biners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoff.comley 25 Jun 2010
Starting to build on my rack and was thinking about what the best krabs to rack your wires are. Oval shaped or the more common offset 'd' wiregate krabs.

What does ukc say?

cheers
Geoff
 euanryan 25 Jun 2010
In reply to geoff.comley: personal preference really! Some even use the cheapo Not For Climbing ones. So long as you don't hang off them, all they are doing is holding the wires on to your gear loops.

I personally use straight gate normal biners. Not for any perticular reason, it's just what i had to hand when i was racking them up!
 thin bob 25 Jun 2010
In reply to geoff.comley:
A) unless you're of colonial extraction, they're called krabs!

B ovals are more expensive (?), can't quite tell which way up they are and not available in wiregate (?) if that's important.
Psychovertical had a nice piece on them HTH!
 Trangia 25 Jun 2010

I rack my wires on old krabs which are all old D shaped. As they are used for racking they dont get used for anything else.

My off set wire gate krabs are newer and on my quick draws
 Trangia 25 Jun 2010
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to geoff.comley)
> A) unless you're of colonial extraction, they're called krabs!
>

Whatever next?!

We'll be hearing shouts of "dirt me" - US speak for "lower me off"!
 EddInaBox 25 Jun 2010
In reply to thin bob:

> ...ovals are ... not available in wiregate (?)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=499
 mattrm 25 Jun 2010

Personally I mainly use DMM Phantoms. Probably not the best choice, but they are light. I also have a DMM AeroGate which has a nice smooth nose and is pretty big, it's better than the phantoms really.
 thin bob 25 Jun 2010
In reply to EddInaBox: i recall incorrectly, thus
 John_Hat 25 Jun 2010

Personally I use smooth-nosed krabs for wires after one too many times hanging off something in extremis while they all knotted themselves around the nose.

Of course the converse is I now get the one I want out no problam at all and drop all the others, but hey, swings and roundabouts...
 Chi Cheng 25 Jun 2010

DMM Ultra O, foo ken amazing racking krab. It's a little large but i love them and have 3 to rack my wired with.

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?pid=1&pid2=236
 thin bob 25 Jun 2010
In reply to Chi Cheng: nice job, DMM, with the different gate colour.
OP geoff.comley 26 Jun 2010
Cheers for the replies, think i was looking at an american site before posting this. Thankfully i mended my ways in the message text though, few!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...