UKC

Cat 3 Vs Cat 4 sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone can give me a heads up on these. I'm heading out to Chamonix in two weeks and was looking at buying a pair of Cat 4 sunglasses for my time over there. Will they make a massive difference to a pair of Cat 3?

Would it be possible to use a pair of Cat 3 and still find them sufficient?

Thanks

Wes
 d_b 30 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

Not a massive difference. Personally I prefer cat 4 because I am a creature of darkness, but in general if it blocks all the UV and is good enough for skiing it should do the job.
 Green Porridge 30 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne:

I use category 3, and don't find it a problem. I think more important is to make sure there's not too much space for light to come in from above, below, or around. The reason I didn't go for Cat 4 is beacause I think (and I'm not certain) that they are not technically legal for driving, but I'm sure someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. I wanted the same glasses for climbing, cycling and driving.

Tim
m0unt41n 30 Jun 2010
In reply to 0bi_0ne: One problem is that each category has a wide band
Cat 4 3% - 8%
Cat 3 8% - 18%
Cat 2 18% - 43%
Cat 1 43% - 80%
as % of light let through.
I got some Cat2 - Cat 4 Goggles for 7000-8000m summit days, start in dark but need Cat 4 when sun rises. But the Cat 2 end is not as clear as I hoped.
For me I only have needed Cat 4 when above 5000m, up to that Cat 3 is fine.
I think most sunglasses have on them if Cat 4 that they are not to be worn when driving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...