UKC

Widdop plantation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fil-p 03 Jul 2010
Thinking of having a look at widdop tomorrow. Was wondering what's the best way there. Driving from Ilkley. Any ideas most appreciated folks
 Bulls Crack 03 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:

You're going to the trees?!

Fairly even in distance but I would have said : Ilkley - Colne - over to Widdop is the least busy/quickest but Ilkley - Hebden Bridge - Widdop shouldn't be busy tomorrow morning either

fil-p 03 Jul 2010
Cheers bulls, from colne do you head up by nelson golfcourse ro the cross roads, if so which way then. Cheers
 shaun stephens 03 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p: yep
 grubes 04 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:

Hope its windy if not bring bug stuff or the midges will eat you alive.
fil-p 05 Jul 2010
Well the weather forecast looked good, drove for an hour, walked up to boulders, got shoes out then it decided to throw it down. Just my luck
rginns 07 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p: buy a map. Then learn how to use it.
 Burns 07 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns:

Eww. What an ugly reply.
 shaun stephens 08 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns:
> (In reply to fil-p) buy a map. Then learn how to use it.

polite! not.
wheres the reasoning behind this type of answer
In reply to shaun stephens:

I think the reasoning is that a map shows where all the roads go, so if you can use one you can logically work out a route to get from A (in this case Ilkley) to B (Widdop).

Seems fairly obvious :-p
fil-p 08 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns. Well aren't you a happy, helpful guy ! Yes could've bought a map, but as it was a last minute thought sat nite didn't have the oppotunity hence the post. But as you seem to be the font of all knowledge, at least I know who to ask in future.
 mrjonathanr 08 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:
Downloadable guide with info available.
http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/widdop.html
fil-p 08 Jul 2010
In reply to mrjonathonr: cheers buddy for the info
 shaun stephens 08 Jul 2010
In reply to bentley's biceps:
> (In reply to shaun stephens)
>
> I think the reasoning is that a map shows where all the roads go, so if you can use one you can logically work out a route to get from A (in this case Ilkley) to B (Widdop).
>
> Seems fairly obvious :-p

i suggest that when you can post something that is helpfull you do so until then, read and learn some manners , its free.
J1234 08 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns:
> (In reply to fil-p) buy a map. Then learn how to use it.

Flippin eck mate, thats not like you, are the hormones kicking in?
Wiley Coyote2 08 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:

Just got home from Widdop. Good evening but the midges did come out abvout half seven.

Quickest way is Ilkley, Silsden, Cowling and then just before the first troundabout in Colne turn left into Trawden. After that you will need your map I'm afriad because it does get a bit complicated.

Ah, I'm glad to see a good natured joke is taken in the usual UKC style of abuse.

Which is exactly why I don't bother giving any local's knowledge despite knowing Widdop area very well.

I suggest that when you can post something civil you do so, until then practice your spelling.
fil-p 08 Jul 2010
In reply to wiley coyote: cheers wiley, went that way coming back, tried through keighley and hebden bridge on way there and got stuck in the local straw race....... Nightmare
rginns 08 Jul 2010
In reply to Everyone who posts lazy and obvious questions:

If you really need to be babysat to the crag by strangers on an internet forum, you really shouldn't be driving - google is the mapless persons friend!

back in the day when there wasn't an internet forum to ask, goodness knows how anyopne got anywhere!

And they say UKC is a bastion of knowledge...
fil-p 08 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns: thanks for the offer of babysitting but I'd like decline. I'm fully aware of the google facility but thought I'd get some comments off people who's been there from this forum. Maybe being mistaken, I thought that forums like this were for people to discuss such topics, rather than a place for sarcastic people to try and have a pop. If this is the case all I'm going to say is ahh bless
Wiley Coyote2 09 Jul 2010

> I suggest that when you can post something civil you do so, until then practice your spelling.

Like you, I'm all in favour of correct spelling and grammar so may I point out that 'practice' when used as a verb is spelled 'practise'. A useful way of remembering it is that it follows the same rule as 'advice' and 'advise'.

In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Yes, you are quite right. My fault for restructuring my answer.
 shaun stephens 09 Jul 2010
> (In reply to shaun stephens)
>
> Ah, I'm glad to see a good natured joke is taken in the usual UKC style of abuse.
>
> Which is exactly why I don't bother giving any local's knowledge despite knowing Widdop area very well.
>
> I suggest that when you can post something civil you do so, until then practice your spelling.

high horse and childish come to mind , cant think why !

So do pots and kettles. Make as many snide comments as you want, it doesn't bother me and it certainly doesn't help fil-p find the best way to Widdop.
 chalkyjim 09 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:

Will you two chill out and have a cuddle. You could meet up at widdop to do it if you can both get there
rginns 10 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p: Believe me, it wasn't an offer! Try re-reading my post.
Do what you want, not really sure why you're so offended, if you come across like someone who can't read maps you should expect to be treated like an idiot!
I mean, seriously, even guide books have pretty good descriptions nowadays! My point is that it's a lazy way to run your life when your first option is 'let's ask a forum'. But then, this is UKC I suppose...
fil-p 10 Jul 2010
In reply to rginns: I know it wasn't an offer, I was taking the piss, doh ! The guide book I have shows the res and the road to burnley and hebden bridge that's it. It's not a case of being lazy or not being able to read maps. Like I said it was last minute thing on a sat nite and don't have maps of that area. If your post hadn't been so arsey ( like other people have mentioned) I wouldn't of bothered replying, but as it was I considered it open season. Regarding your comments of "well it is ukc" why browse it ? Case closed !
 sutty 10 Jul 2010
In reply to fil-p:

Save stretmap then you always have a map of anywhere in the country, like this;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Search for widdop and select the one you want;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=393500&y=432500&z=120&sv=w...

Make it larger;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=393500&y=432500&z=120&sv=...

Change the scale;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=393500&y=432500&z=120&sv=...

Easy then
fil-p 10 Jul 2010
In reply to sutty: thanks for the great info. Having a look for any decent iPhone map apps too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...