UKC

THE LOWDOWN: P-Rob leaves the US

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
[Paul Robinson, 3 kb]Yesterday, Paul Robinson and girlfriend Alex Kahn packed their bags went to Charlotte Airport, boarded a plane and left the US. No, I don't think it was the 4th of July celebration that simply became too much, but rather an urge to explore what the world has to offer in terms of hard core...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=56374
murdster 08 Jul 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Jesus Christ. This is classed as news?

Let me know when he has a s**t.
 cathsullivan 08 Jul 2010
In reply to murdster:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
>
> Jesus Christ. This is classed as news?
>

I'm glad it's not just me that feels this way! Who is he and why should I care that he's gone on his holidays? Hope he has a lovely time, mind.
 turtlespit 08 Jul 2010
Nice that he's heading out to experience climbing all over the world.

From his blog though: "...in no time I will be heading back into the Cederberg Mountain Range for a wild summer of climbing in Rocklands!"

I wonder if he knows that it's winter in South Africa at the moment...
 archiecb 08 Jul 2010
In reply to cathsullivan:

In 2004 he made another significant leap when he sent his first V12, The Mandala, in Bishop, California.

Robinson finished Fred Nicole's crimpy Terre De Sienne on the sixth day of January—his first V14. Only two months later Robinson managed to send his second V14, Echale in nearby Clear Creek Canyon, Colorado. Later that same month Robinson accomplished a never-before heard of feat when he climbed two V14 climbs in one day with The Mandala Assis and The Swarm,

on March 24, 2007, during a week-long spring break trip to Bishop, California. Three days later he made the first ascent of The Mandala Direct Assis V14, a variation of The Mandala Assis. These three ascents in Bishop, combined with his send of Echale, made Robinson the first person in the world ever to climb four V14s in one month. (As of September 2009, Robinson has climbed 14 V14s).

Robinson has climbed two V15s- Fred Nicole's Terremer[7] on New Year's Day 2008 in Hueco Tanks, Texas, and Daniel Woods' Jade in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. He has also climbed Amandla in Rocklands, South Africa, which is given the V14/15 slash grade.

On December 27, 2007 Robinson flashed (climbed first try) Nagual[8], a V13/14 in Hueco Tanks, becoming the first American and one of only a few people in the world to have flashed a climb of that grade (others include Swiss master Fred Nicole[9], British prodigy James Pearson[10], and more recently Tyler Landman, also from the United Kingdom, and Czech wonderkid Adam Ondra[11]).

Over the course of 2007 Robinson climbed over 100 boulder problems rated V11 or harder, becoming the first person to climb that many hard problems in only a year's time. As of September 2009 he has climbed 273 problems V11 and harder.

Robinson recently returned to route climbing, and in the spring of 2009 he completed the second ascent of Dave Graham's Psychedelic (5.14d) in Utah. He has also climbed The Fly, in Rumney, New Hampshire, and several 5.14b's.

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010, Paul Robinson finally completed the Rastaman Vibrations sit-start project, renamed the line Lucid Dreaming, and proposed the rare grade of V16.
For a full list of Robinson's ascents search for his scorecard on climbing ranking site 8a.nu

Sounds like quite a good guy if you know anything about climbing...

I, for one, am actually quite interested to know that he has bothered to leave the US and come crush in Europe.
Keep up the news stories like this.
 scooott 08 Jul 2010
In reply to archiecb:
>
> I, for one, am actually quite interested to know that he has bothered to leave the US and come crush in Europe.
> Keep up the news stories like this.

Agreed. Maybe it's best not to reply if the news doesn't interest you. Many people are interested it what's going on at the cutting edge (where Paul Robinson is operating), if you don't like it, don't read it.

In reply to scooott:

is someone catching a plane the cutting edge though? I did that last year, and though there was a tricky moment in the departure lounge cafe where my coffee was a bit watery for my taste, it was actually not too hard.

and the way i crushed baggage reclaim, sick.

maybe when he climbs something, as i assume he will, we will find out where he is. As part of a report that is actually interesting.
 GrahamD 08 Jul 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Is 'crushing' a new dance craze or something ?
In reply to GrahamD:

i think it might refer to preparing a cordial-based drink. it can be very refreshing, especially on a hot day.
 TMM 08 Jul 2010

Easy for you given your 'wad' status.

Keep the blog updated on your travelator headpoint efforts.

Keep it real to the max blood.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 08 Jul 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: No less interesting than some mountaineer setting off an expedition, just less specific.
In reply to TMM:
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
>
>> Keep the blog updated on your travelator headpoint efforts.
>
Conditions havent been good for that project (it was switched off for maintenance)

i'm psyched for getting on the lead on it though, when the engineers have finished their repairs, and the "closed for maintenance" signs are taken down...

Tyler 08 Jul 2010
In reply to cathsullivan:

> I'm glad it's not just me that feels this way! Who is he and why should I care that he's gone on his holidays?

So should all news on this site be confined to your narrow sphere of interest?
In reply to the thread:

see, news...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=416316

"and in todays climbing news, someone goes climbing..."
 Offwidth 08 Jul 2010

Thanks for that. I can assure you the parochial disinterest expressed by others in ths thread is not a uniform feeling. I remember climbers on a previous american holiday being apparently invisible to the ignorant until they arrived in the Uk and showed how good they were on grit.
In reply to Offwidth:

hi offwidth,

nothing parochial about my disinterest. if there was a newsflash that dave macleod was sitting in the ferry terminal at scrabster i can reassure you that i'd be similarly disinterested

when paul robinson actually climbs something then i'll be as interested as some people seem to be in current reports of his public transport usage,

cheers
gregor
 Tyler 08 Jul 2010

> when paul robinson actually climbs something then i'll be as interested as some people seem to be in current reports of his public transport usage

And when that happens you may have something worthwhile to write on the associated thread, in the mean time I can't help wondering why you bothered on this one. Imagine how tedious it'd be if everyone not interested in a thread on here replied to say just that!
 Offwidth 08 Jul 2010

Quite frankly if you were so uninterested why post?

I'm glad this was news as those of us who are interested in one of the best climbers in the world on his travels can keep a closer watch.
 Offwidth 08 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler:

You beat me to it, bumbly poster as well as climber
In reply to Tyler:

indeed. just imagine!

tbh, i'm doing you a favour. if i wasnt here bumping this every 20 mins or so it would long since have died, and then people wouldn't be signposted to this dramatic news.

no need to thank me though, its all part of the service...

In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> You beat me to it, bumbly poster as well as climber

lol, i was wondering how long it would take for someone to refer to my climbing ability...! as if the grade you climb has any relevance in whether you should comment on an article...

back to the real world, where people dont have to have their 8a.nu scorecard validated by mick before they are allowed to post. when this dramatically talented young chap climbs something hard, i'll be as starry eyed in my admiration as you.

till then, if it makes you feel more of a man to make derogatory comments about my climbing because i'm not as interested in his travel plans as you are, then go ahead, happy to help you out, though didnt think youd be the sort,

cheers
gregor

metal arms 08 Jul 2010

Calm down sweetheart. Offwidth was referring to his own punter-dom!
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 08 Jul 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Paranoid and self concious...?
In reply to metal arms:

was he..?

i which case, i graciously apologise for my last post...

sorry, offwidth...

In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll:

so it would seem!

<goes off to take lunchtime medication>

Tyler 08 Jul 2010
> (In reply to metal arms)
>
> was he..?
>
> i which case, i graciously apologise for my last post...
>
> sorry, offwidth...

But if the cap fits.........

In reply to Tyler:

<pulls cap on so its seated more securely>

scooott 08 Jul 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Gj on filling the thread full of bullshit .

I wonder whether every none-trad related news item will be like this.

It's called UKClimbing.com btw, not UKTrad.
In reply to scooott:

now its not me that paranoid...

nothing to do with it not being trad, as i pointed out earlier with my comment about Dave macleod

its because its not news...

the article about malc smith climbing a 9a didnt get negative posts, despite not being about trad, largely because it was about a climber climbing a noteworthy ascent

sorry if that doesnt fit with your slightly paranoid world view...

cheers
gregor

scooott 08 Jul 2010
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Why are you posting?
In reply to scooott:

a slow day at work, can't get on with what i should be doing until people email me some information. filling the time with some minor administrative stuff, and posting here. not much going on on the other threads, even the hannah s one has failed to turn up anything amusing.

Why, does it bother you? At the very least, its keeping this item in the spotlight, so more people can find out about this exciting news.

Why are you posting...?

cheers
gregor
 scooott 08 Jul 2010
Maybe a news item isn't the best place to post your drivel.

Go make a thread about what your dog had for dinner, or something.
In reply to scooott:

lol, thats pretty much what the "news" item was...

NEWSFLASH: P-Rob decides against watching in-flight movie, reads magazine found in pocket on seat back where the sick bag is stored instead...
wow special must I be to get a mention in this section in the forum, and yes I admit my threads aren't that amusing at the mo, not sure whats happned to them.
In reply to Hannah S:

hi hannah, well, you are something of a ukc celebrity...

looking forwards to you returning to form sometime soon,

though hopefully i'll have the info i;m waiting for and wont be sitting on ukc all day...!

best wishes,

gregor
 220bpm 08 Jul 2010
In reply to archiecb:
> (In reply to cathsullivan)
>
> Sounds like quite a good guy if you know anything about climbing...
>
pmsl - good one!
sakarimcgregor 08 Jul 2010

Anybody thought that this might be interesting to some who want to see what he is up to and didn't know that he has started a new blog and this was Björns way of telling people were to find it???

Alun 08 Jul 2010
In reply to murdster:
> Jesus Christ. This is classed as news?

I'm sure I'm not the only one bored of these "is this news" comments, they're so pathetic.

Paul Robinson is one of the world's top boulderers (see Progression, the latest flick from BigUp to see him action) and it certainly is news that he'll be blogging about his world travels. Plenty of other climbers (Dave Macleod, Dave Graham) write blogs that get thousands of hits per month, and are occasionally very interesting reads.
 roddersm 08 Jul 2010

Ha ha great stuff scotch eggs haven't laughed so much in ages!

Randy Baird 08 Jul 2010

I know Paul Robinson is one of the top boulderers but come on, report something he has actually climbed.
Compare this piece of premature- sprayjaculation to the fact the Malcolm Smith has just climbed 9a but can't be bothered to interview about it.
Chalk and cheese.

sb2006 09 Jul 2010
In reply to all you small town heroes:

This is exactly why UKC and Björn Pohl doesn't fit. Either there are no comments at all or you start spamming it in the style of " [...] its not as he could do trad [...]" or some other bs. The ignorance of you UKC Forum folks is incredible. Its like when my grandparents refuse to visit the neighbour village because "People there are strange!".

They sadest thing is that Björns blog was an forum, where internationality was appreciated and was the pushing factor for its popularity. Now you folks dumb it down to your small town level which already lead to the fact that no one from outside the UK sees the point to participate here in your narrow minded discussions.

And about why I enjoyed reading this post is:

A blog is like someone telling you a story about "what's happening" from his point of view. And every good storyteller chooses to build expectations. So even if nothing happened yet, I am already keen to read what will happen.
murdster 11 Jul 2010
In reply to sb2006:

Shut up.

Are you having your expectations built up?

...sad.
 Offwidth 11 Jul 2010
In reply to sb2006:

Much as they annoyed me arguably its also a problem with the forum moderators. Elsewhere such joker's won't last as long.
mars510 17 Jul 2010
Maybe some ppl need to chill out a little...
...its a climbing blog, so in my opinion short and not so important news are ok,too. As somone said he is a good boulderer and it was maybe to let ppl know they can expect some bouldering news from the rocklands soon.
....although he has not a clue what a cool boulder looks like-I am kidding-see the rocklands news:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=417177&v=1
Maybe the bloglayout did fit this type of news better.
Its nicer for short news, if you can just scroll down.
Now you click on it and some ppl are like: "wtf? I clicked it for two sentences!!!"
peace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...