UKC

When did sun protection lotion reach £14?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 16 Jul 2010
Wandering up an aisle in the supermarket I saw a load of sun protection lotion on offer, "Buy 1 Get 1 Free". I thought it said £3.99 each, which I thought was a bit cheap for Garniere / Piz Buin products - I thought that they'd be around £6.99-£7.99.

But it was all in the range £11.99 - £13.99! Surely that has risen way beyond inflation rates? Also seems that the higher factor stuff is a lot dearer, which seems unfair on the light-skinned.
Luckily I only need Factor 15 (and that only rarely) so I got some Sainsbury's stuff for £2.44 which should see me through the next five years or so.

But £13.99?! Madness, I tell you!
In reply to Blue Straggler: I find it cheaper to wear clothes. I believe nothing under factor 30 actually protects.
 Dominion 16 Jul 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> But £13.99?! Madness, I tell you!

2Litre bottles, maybe?

In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I find it cheaper to wear clothes. I believe nothing under factor 30 actually protects.

Fair enough. It does make a difference to me but we all differ. I usually get away with using nothing, but on really scorchio days I put some on my ears, cheeks (on my face! No arseless chaps in my wardrobe) and nose. Factor 15 does the trick and makes a difference - if I don't do it, I will redden. I have some old "posh" F15 I got from Decathlon, it is a "sports" one, with zinc in it apparently. It is nearly finished and 5 years old though!
 Wonrek 16 Jul 2010
> "Buy 1 Get 1 Free".
> I thought that they'd be around £6.99-£7.99.
> But it was all in the range £11.99 - £13.99!

Can you see a pattern here.....?

Cx
 Fiona Reid 16 Jul 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

I use factor 35+ in the UK and 50 abroad. I wear long sleeved tops and trousers pretty much all the time so only need to coat my hands and face. The Nivea kids factor 50 stuff is ace, its really greasy so doesn't sweat off quickly so you don't need so many coats. I usually buy it when it's on a 2 for 1 deal but we only use a bottle every few years so paying over a tenner doesn't really bother me so much.

Urban5teve 16 Jul 2010
Of course it's expensive. It's good for you and the goverment recommend its use.
 Dominion 16 Jul 2010

> (on my face! No arseless chaps in my wardrobe)

Very quick to deny something you hadn't been accused of!

isi_o 16 Jul 2010
I found a tube of factor 50 in Tesco last year for 50p. Own brand, no scent, no gimmicky stuff to make it easy to apply/ kid friendly/ etc. but did the job in terms of stopping me getting burnt. Not sure if you can still get it at such a bargain price, don't live near a Tesco any more...
In reply to Dominion:

Nah it's just cos Viz did one of their random one-offs a few years back, in an issue that I've recently dug up. Arseless Chaps Moses. It's quite odd..
 liz j 16 Jul 2010
I'll let you into a little secret. When certain items are put on special offer, they bump up the prices so it seems you are getting a lot free, when in actual fact, you are actually paying full price for both. All those bottles of wine at half price, £5 a bottle, they were never on sale at £10, they are specials that you won't find on the shelf otherwise. Meal deals where the bottle is £8, it's never that price, but it looks like you are getting a great deal, so it sales.
Suncream is an easy target, it's seasonal, so the special offers are brought in straight away, so no seeing the proper price beforehand. Anyway, ownbrand stuff is just as good in my mind, except always get a waterproof one for your face or you'll end up with stinging, watering eyes just as you reach the crux!!!
In reply to liz j: such cynicism in one so young
 Dominion 16 Jul 2010

That sounds a very reasonable excuse!

Better than them not being in your wardrobe because you are actually wearing them whilst posting on the internet!

liz j 16 Jul 2010
In reply to Fawksey:
20 years of working in the retail industry more like!!
 nufkin 16 Jul 2010
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> I'll let you into a little secret. When certain items are put on special offer, they bump up the prices so it seems you are getting a lot free, when in actual fact, you are actually paying full price for both

Apologies for veering from the topic a little, but isn't doing that illegal? I thought for something to be labeled as 'sale' or 'reduced', it has to have been available at the full advertised price for a certain period.

liz j 16 Jul 2010
In reply to nufkin:
It will have been at some time, but that may be online for instance, or in another store, maybe in a more expensive part of the country. I have never seen some of the special offer wines on sale at the full price. Plus, buy one get on free is based on the full price anyway. That
 thin bob 16 Jul 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: arseless chaps!? poor blighters, must make sitting down most uncomfortable for them.....the sad consequences of misunderstanding the popular phrase or saying 'fck the arse off'.....
 Scarlet 16 Jul 2010
In reply to nufkin:

But a 2 for 1 isn't technically a reduction in this way, even though anyone with any numerical ability will simply say "I'm getting X litres of stuff for £X. Is that a good deal?" regardless of the offer.

WRT the OP, I have very fair and slightly sensitive skin (some suncreams leave me with skin like sandpaper!) and so always stick to Boots Soltan as it works for me and doesn't irritate. I've been paying about 11 quid a bottle for years, though I always try to buy it when it's 2 for 1.
 Siward 17 Jul 2010
In reply to nufkin:
Twas only yesterday when I saw cheapest of cheapest chicken breasts being sold 'half price', stating that the full price ought to be £14 per kilo.

Strangely enough the organic top of the line chicken breasts cost £14 per kilo.

Half price I don't think so.
 Jaffacake 17 Jul 2010

The sun cream I use is nearly £24 for a 200ml bottle in boots (at full price), or £12 at the local chemist.
 ranger*goy 17 Jul 2010
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to liz j)
> [...]
>
> Apologies for veering from the topic a little, but isn't doing that illegal? I thought for something to be labeled as 'sale' or 'reduced', it has to have been available at the full advertised price for a certain period.

Only for 28 days I think.
 Reach>Talent 17 Jul 2010
In reply to ranger*goy:
> (In reply to nufkin)
> [...]
>
> Only for 28 days I think.
There is some clause like that, so they have to advertise it at the 'full' price in one store in the last X months. From the sun cream manufacturers point I would suspect that the costs of development may well have gone up a fair bit in the last few years.

sjbutterworth 18 Jul 2010

I sell sunprotection in my pharmacy. Pricing is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. We have taken the decision to sell all the big name stuff (Ambre Solaire, Piz Buin, Nivea) at a flat rate of £7.99. "Own brand" we sell at £3.00 - we could do a bit cheaper but perversley it sells less well if too cheap "what's wrong with this?". A few super-premium brands and medical brands we sell at full ticket price. I have tried other pricing strategies (BOGOF, full price) but this current one seems to give a reasonable mix of sales volume and profit.

Don't sell any when it is raining though
Wiley Coyote2 18 Jul 2010
Just bought some in Tesco. Nivea Factor 30. £7 - billed as half price.
No I don't work for Tesco ...or Nivea. Mostly I work for peanuts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...