UKC

La Sprotiva mountain boot sizes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 23 Jul 2010
I've been meansyred up for La Sportiva boots and was told that I'd need a size 42 which is a bit unusual for me as I'd normally be 41. Are Sportiva sizes a little on the small side for their mountain boots?

Also I ave narrow feet whihc I believe makes Sportiva a good choice, any views on this?
 psykx 23 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler:

I have La Sportiva solutions in 40, La Sportiva - Cirque Pro in 43 and La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX in 45. I don't like 5.10 because the toe box is too narrow, but I had to get foot beds to take some of the room out of the heel in the Evo GTX. (it's recommended to get foot beds anyway)

Remember you need to size up for thick socks in mountain boots.
 nufkin 23 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Usually Sportiva boots sizes (as opposed to climbing shoe sizes) are about right , but really it's probably best not to worry too much about the numbers on the boots - they're just numbers. If you can try them on, just get whichever size fits best (and remember lots of their boots come in half-sizes, so best if you can go somewhere that stocks 'em).

And don't forget to take along your socks and footbeds when you try them.
 TobyA 23 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler: The width thing is odd because I actually got laughed at by an experienced ski boot fitter when he looked at my feet because they were so "fat", but LS Nepal Extremes in 42 fit me wonderfully and have done from day 1.

I wouldn't worry about what size you normally are and go with whatever feels best, sizing does differ completely between brands and even within their own ranges. I noted this in a review of LS rock shoes:

"One note on the sizing: La Sportiva sizes seem generous. I have been wearing 41, 41.5 or 42 in lots of different models from different manufacturers for years, whilst the Cliffs in a size 40 are a comfy fit with my toes flat. As ever it is best to try before you buy, but if you need to mail order, consider going down a size or even two from your non-Sportiva size. Oddly, I have three pairs of Sportiva mountaineering and ice climbing boots, all in 42 and all fit well, so this may just be a rock shoe thing." http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2334

Are you going somewhere exciting?
In reply to Tyler: I find La Sportiva sizes are generally about right. I measure 43 (8 3/4) on a brannock device and I fit a 43 batura, spantik and Nepal perfectly.
My advice would be to get your feet measured on a brannock device as this will give you your ACTUAL foot size rather than saying you are size X because my shoes/boots are a size X
 mikebee 23 Jul 2010
I'm a size 45 in most footwear and according to a Brannock device. I fitted up in (but haven't used) 46 Nepal Evo GTX boots, and I wear size 42 Katana climbing shoes.

The moral of the story - ignore the numbers, go with what feels the best.
 Milesy 23 Jul 2010
i have wide feet. la sportivas dont fit me. millet alpinist did perfect.
 gear boy 23 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler: what fits, fits. and thats it, oh and evos are narrower in the heel and lower volume over the arch compared to extremes, if thats what you are looking at
OP Tyler 23 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks all but for various reasons I'm having to take a punt on the size for various reasons (mail order) hence needing to know whether to gamble either on my normal size or one size up.
OP Tyler 23 Jul 2010
In reply to TobyA:

> Are you going somewhere exciting

Yes and no, I'm going to Mont Blanc which I guess is pretty ordinary but I'm excited as I've not been for 16 years (hence the need for new boots and possibly a new jumper)
 JoshOvki 24 Jul 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> My advice would be to get your feet measured on a brannock device as this will give you your ACTUAL foot size rather than saying you are size X because my shoes/boots are a size X

My advice would be the total opposite! In work we are required to use these to measure peoples feet. Half of the time they are way out. You go and find a boot in the size that the brannock device says and they are too big or too small. I had a customer who measured in at a 7 and left with a size 6 because that is what fitted. Same with another customer who's father phoned up later because I measured his kids feet as a 10 and he left with a pair of 9.5 boots.

My advice is try on the size closes to what you normal wear, if its too big try a smaller one, if its too small try a bigger one. Go on what fits, not what the numbers say. Simples.
 JoshOvki 24 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Is there any chance you can get into a shop to try some on? Not necessarily buy them from there but at least try them on first?
 andrewm1000 24 Jul 2010
In reply to Tyler: My Nepals are 2 sizes larger than my usual shoe size and with liner socks and wool socks and a slight swelling after walking a few hours they fit like gloves. I started by trying on boots the same as my shoe size, then next size up and next size up, then next size up and then back to one size down. Then walked around the shop for half hour, kicking a step, up and down stairs, then wore them for one week at home around the apartment, slept in them for one night (fell asleep on the couch with them on). If I did't go through this I would have risked problems, at worst cold and sore feet, or, at best, losing 300 plus pounds. I learned a while ago that its really best to try to do this, best boots are the ones that fit, ignore sizes etc. You have to try them on somehow. Good luck, regards
 220bpm 24 Jul 2010
In reply to JoshOvki:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> Is there any chance you can get into a shop to try some on? Not necessarily buy them from there but at least try them on first?

Thats what I would do.

Similarly, my Nepal Extremes are +2 sizes on my normal shoes.
dgim 05 Aug 2010
In reply to mikebee: i would like to buy on days LS Nepal Evo GTX but in Warsaw unfortunately there is no store that would have these shoes on sale, even one f...ng store...
my normal city size is 41, trekking/climbg size is 42, but i wear LS Nepal Extreeme and the best size was 42.5. Evo GTX has thermals a lot worse then Extreeme model, so question is - if nepal extreeme size 42.5 was perfect for me, nepal evo would be too or not ?

how looks like in practice, the thickness inside the shoe in these two models: Thinsulate (extreeme) and Duratherm (evo) ?
 gear boy 06 Aug 2010
In reply to dgim: Size for size length of the 2 models is the same, but new evo is different shape, narrower at the heel and lower over the laces, plus slightly wider in the forefoot,
most people I fitted went down 1/2 a size in evo compared to extreme, but mainly due to foot shape it was a better boot for them,

the thickness of insulation is about the same through the boot, but the tongue pad on the evo is alot thinner

I know it doesnt help you in your situation but footwear is best purchased by trying them on
In reply to Tyler: try ebay, there seem to be a lot on there being sold by people who have bought the wrong size. If they don't fit you can sell them on at around the same price as you paid or if you're lucky make a profit. That way you can even try them outdoors without any problems.
dgim 13 Aug 2010
In reply to gear boy: thanks to you and kev_woodhead for a such extensively answers. i had been wearing a few days ago in Chamonix (most of sizes scarpa mont blanc on 1 side, most of sizes nepal evo on second side - wow) nepal evo in size 42, 42.5 and i think - 42.5 should be better, some wider in the forefoot, i prefere wider shoes.

i don't want a situation that at higher temperatures the rate of i swell which is natural, normal and will be a problem with my fingers. i've that problem with aku shoes.

if nothing changes i'll buy size 42.5.

size some too big is better than too small...

"most people I fitted went down 1/2 a size in evo compared to extreme, but mainly due to foot shape it was a better boot for them" hmm can you explain this ?

btw - i went on the Mont Blanc last weekend, 40% people on the road has nepal evo gtx...
 MJH 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Tyler: Sounds about right - I normally wear 42 but I think my Extremes are 43. Not so sure about whether they suit people with narrow feet - I have quite wide feet at the front but quite narrow heels and they fit me very well. The Nepal Evos are narrower than the Extremes so you might prefer those.
 andy dunn 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Tyler:

My trainers and aproach shoes are all 42
My Sportiva Nepal Extreme's are 44.5
My rock shoes (5:10 Anasazi VS) are 41

All feel right when I'm wearing them.

Hope that helps you.
 gear boy 16 Aug 2010
In reply to dgim:

> "most people I fitted went down 1/2 a size in evo compared to extreme, but mainly due to foot shape it was a better boot for them" hmm can you explain this ?

Erm... basically the toe profile/forefoot of the Evo is not quite as pointy therefore you could drop down half a size because with Extremes it wasnt always the case that the big toe hit the end but the smaller toes, this is less likely to happen with the more rounded toe of the Evo

HTH

"What fits, Fits"!!
dgim 11 Sep 2010
OK, thanks for your answers, i've placed an order for 42.5 size Evo's, i'll see, is it the properly size for me...
timO 11 Sep 2010
In reply to dgim: ....this sounds about right. But there are some things not picked up in the thread, by other comments. The criteria for boots pull in different directions.

1 pain: boots too tight (you can get them stretched)

2 blisters: probably too loose (maybe new insoles or heel grippers) - note that with plastics and some B3 boots you can put in a sheet of neoprene to reduce the volume - this can work a treat with double boots - I've known someone cut up a karrimat as an emergency measure and then kept this in since it worked so well.

3 not freezing your feet (stretch, but can't do much about the volume over the bridge of the foot, and if too tight here you can cut off the circulation to your foot, since big veins go over this area - and this is really bad news - if this is a problem, it's probably new boots).

4 yes, getting cold is a disaster and can risk your toes to frostbite, but no-one has mentioned the issue of edging and not falling on snow plods. So many people ramble on about arresting, but the thing is not to fall in the first place - this is SO important. Now, I've had boots where the front lug seems to stick out a mile (scarpa mainly) and I just find this decreases the precision of footwork - which is a major issue.

5 stability - I have merrells which have a very wide and soft sole unit - which is brilliant. And some asolo b2s which are good volume in the shoes itself but very narrow in the foot sole unit, which is good for edging but not so good for snow slopes. The worst I have is a pair of raichle mount envy's, which have a weirdly unstable but very stiff sole unit, very bad for stability when walking and jumping, hopping from rock to rock. They are going.

These criteria really do pull in different directions - tight for precision, loose but not too loose for insulation, etc etc.

So...I have one foot at 41 and one at 42 - which is a complete pain - and have some pretty close fitting garmont B3s for precise work (they have been professionally stretched) and some 42 nepal extremes, which fit brilliantly with one pair of thickish woollen alpine socks and the standard insoles. They do not restrict bloodflow oevr the bridge - which is vital for keeping your toes.

Sportiva seem to be the same as your normal size (but yes the evos are a very different volume and fit - narrow in the heel and tight over the bridge); scarpas seem to be huge (though not the mt blancs) and asolos are supposed to be narrow but aren't necessarily (my double AFS101s at 42 are huge)...

try them on for hours in the shop ... and you'll still get it wrong sometimes...which hurts the wallet a lot...

In reply to Tyler: Don't worry about the numbers, I have been using La Sportiva for a long time. You are right in thinking that they are narrow. Go with what fits and try on lots of different boots. Most decent retailers wont mind you doing this and will be happy to help you get it right
 petestack 25 Sep 2010
In reply to Triggerhappyteacher:
> You are right in thinking that they are narrow.

Except that they're not! (Being amongst the very few boots that suit my misshapen broad feet, which can only reinforce the need to try when fit is such a personal thing...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...