UKC

What was the weather like in the Lakes this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Caralynh 01 Aug 2010
We were heading that way, but after finding stationary traffic on the M6 from J13, and TrafficMaster not suggesting any improvement imminent, we diverted to North Wales instead!
Managed to do some nice easy mountain multipitch in the rain (well, drizzle) and tested the new Big Tent (it passed!) so had a pretty good weekend. The Lakes plan was to climb on Grey Crag above Buttermere, so did we make a wise decision weather-wise as well as traffic-wise?

xC
 Mark Eddy 01 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:
You made the right decision. Had a bit of sun in Langdale today, but plenty of rain too.
Mark
OP Caralynh 01 Aug 2010
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Cheers I don't mind easy stuff in light rain, but wouldn't have wanted to be up above the cloudbase. May pop up next weekend instead, we'll see
 PontiusPirate 01 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:

Cara,

the club i'm in were up that way this w/e- I'll enquire and see how they got on - I forewent the journey over and stayed local - caught up with Adam and Simon today too

MWIS forecast wasn't exactly conducive to wanting to do mountain routes for either day...

PP.
 Bella 01 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr: I was on the east side of the lakes all weekend, and it rained for 5min on Saturday evening around 8pm. Dry other than that, even warm and sunny on Saturday. South lakes was warm and dry today too.
 Ann S 01 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:

Wallabarrow on Sunday-light rain on arrival at 11.00-quick coffee in the pub saw off the rain and then quick drying rock gave us a great day with no further rain.
In reply to Caralynr:

There was a bit of drizzle both days, but the crags dried off pretty quickly (actually Gouther seems to be made of magic rock which doesn't get wet in the first place). There was quite a lot of cloud on the tops though, I suspect Grey Crag would have been quite unpleasant.
 jonny taylor 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:
In Borrowdale Sunday was surprisingly nice after a wet start, but there was a very low cloudbase on saturday. Was up on Broad Crag around midnight and the bands of drizzle didn't leave me wishing I was camping up high!
OP Caralynh 02 Aug 2010
In reply to jonny taylor:

Sounds like I made the right decision
Not interested in Shepherds, Wallowbarrow, Gouther crag etc. If I'd gone to the Lakes I'd have been looking at Grey Crag, but also Pillar, Napes, Scafell and Esk Buttress. Therefore needing decent-ish weather up high.

As it happened we pottered on Clogwyn yr Oer on Saturday (too wet high up and fancied investigating a new venue) and then were up on Atlantic Slabs on Sunday having fun in the drizzle Both crags nicely uncrowded (saw one other party on each). One lesson I've learned though is "keep maps and guidebooks for ALL areas in the car" to save having to buy new ones when plans change at last minute!
 Simon Pelly 02 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:

Friday - Langdale Pikes - in the clouds with rain - no views
Saturday - Old Man - in the clouds with high winds and rain - no views
Sunday - Bowfell - light rain in the morning - some views - clearing later afternoon
 Ianwesterby 03 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:

It was raining on and off all day in wasdale on Sunday. Had a great day on Monday, it stayed dry all day and climbed the arete on the needle and needle ridge.
 dioliahary 03 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr: Rained all weekend in Wasdale (on and off). But twas dry in the pub at night....
 GrahamD 04 Aug 2010
In reply to Caralynr:

Saturday, walk with family over Wetherlam - windy and poor vis on top with the odd light shower but nothing too bad

Sunday all day at White Ghyll. Odd drop of rain but 4 routes done ok in the end

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...