UKC

How hard has a 13 year old bouldered?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi I was just woundering whats the hardest a 13 year old BRIT has bouldered?
 Jon Stewart 15 Aug 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: How would any of us know?
In reply to Jon Stewart:News, magazines maybe???
northeastbeast 15 Aug 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel:

Kind of a misleading question, because, as we all know, bouldering isn't actually hard at all.
 mattrm 15 Aug 2010

Stop worrying as to whether or not you're the best 13 year old british boulder, just keep on with it. If you're doing it cause you want to be the best 13 year old boulder, then you're possibly doing it for the wrong reasons.
 Keendan 15 Aug 2010
V6 is pretty good though!

respect

and envy
:P
 UKB Shark 15 Aug 2010
In reply to mattrm:

Firstly - Did he say he was worried about it ? He said he was curious. Its a fair question - I don't the answer.

Secondly who the hell are you to dictate the right reasons

Morgan Woods 16 Aug 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: I think a 9yr old girl in the us has ticked v10 so that may give you some idea.
 ark05 16 Aug 2010
if ur young you have small hands... so crimps are jugs! cheat!

just joking. v6 is pretty good, but i bet someones done better. good to see kids no wasting their summer. keep at it
In reply to mattrm:

Of course a 13 year old wants to be the BEST! It was about that age I finally accepted that the olympic 200m medal wasn't coming my way.... It was a tough realisation that I was always going to be average and never GREAT....

I was much happier when my future included BBC interviews, sponsorship and a GF who was a hot international highjumper (I could have settled for a heptathlete)
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: eerr ok thanks for your unusual and slightly offencive replies, but i was just simply woundering, to be honist i really don't care - i climb because its fun!!!! not for the grade
 Monk 16 Aug 2010

Have a google for Tyler Landman - I think he was ticking some very big numbers (V11?) when he was very young.
 mattrm 16 Aug 2010
> (In reply to Beastly Squirrel) eerr ok thanks for your unusual and slightly offencive replies, but i was just simply woundering, to be honist i really don't care - i climb because its fun!!!! not for the grade

That's the right reply and the right kind of attitude. Keep on climbing and having fun!

billydekid1974 18 Aug 2010
I know a 13 year old from Bristol who is boldering V9. I think from my memory Tyler was doing around V7 at this age
 Monk 19 Aug 2010
In reply to billydekid1974:

I wonder what the Whittakers were doing at that age. I remember seeing them at the Edge when they were pretty small, and they were climbing some pretty hard stuff.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 19 Aug 2010
In reply to People saying V6 is good: <pedant> V6 is good, but if you look at his worked grades he's actually done V8/9, V6 is what he's FLASHED. </pedant>

I think the 13 year old son of some font legend (montchausse maybe?) climbed Duel when he was 12 or 13, amazing.
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: Thanks guys for your great and more appropriste replies!
 Franco Cookson 20 Aug 2010
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
> (In reply to mattrm)
>
> Of course a 13 year old wants to be the BEST! It was about that age I finally accepted that the olympic 200m medal wasn't coming my way.... It was a tough realisation that I was always going to be average and never GREAT....
>
> I was much happier when my future included BBC interviews, sponsorship and a GF who was a hot international highjumper (I could have settled for a heptathlete)

The difference is that it is perfectly possible to be one of the best climbers or boulderers in the country (especially if you're bouldering V8 at 13), where as there is far more 'competition' for the 200 metres.

To the OP: Getting to such a good level at such a young age will give you a massive head-start in any climbing-related activity you wish to try, even if you eventually decide you'd prefer to get into big-walling rather than stay with the bouldering. Stay with it, stay psyched to improve, don't listen to people who say you should 'consolidate' grades, do what you think is fun and try every form of climbing in every possible location you can. There is so much out there, enjoy!
In reply to Richard Hession:

Phillippe le Denmat's son Luc, I think? (Spelling all wrong, I'm sure).

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think it's Loïc, but I could be wrong.
yellow arete 07 Sep 2010
> Hi I was just woundering whats the hardest a 13 year old BRIT has bouldered?

Claudio Cameroni's 13yr old son just did duel in font. Hes also done scary christmas (8a) and another slab next to it at 8a+ on Gottard pass switz. Watched him working a project of his and it was quite impressive to see the strength and technique in such a young lad.
 Enty 07 Sep 2010
In reply to mattrm:
> (In reply to Beastly Squirrel)
>
> Stop worrying as to whether or not you're the best 13 year old british boulder, just keep on with it. If you're doing it cause you want to be the best 13 year old boulder, then you're possibly doing it for the wrong reasons.

It's no wonder we're shit at sport in the UK.

E

Dave Garnett 07 Sep 2010
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll:

There was a (very small) 10-year-old making a pretty good attempt at V6 problems I couldn't do at the wall last weekend. I'm getting used to being humiliated by my 14-year-old, but this was really impressive.
Chad H 07 Sep 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: I'm pretty sure no harder than v5... I was bouldering consistently at around this level when I was 15, and nobody aged 13 in london could touch me. Havent seen any 13-year-old beasts at the tor yet and I'm there pretty often.

Chad
 Ewan Russell 07 Sep 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: Josie Ball??? Ive definatley seen pictures of her doing quite a few of the welsh v5S. I would imagine she must of ticked some v6s as well?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=67371&nstart=48
just had a look theres a few v6s done and v7?
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 07 Sep 2010
In reply to Chad H: You didn't read the rest of the thread did you, London isn't really representative, and the 13 year old you're saying this to has already done V8/9ish...
Xeroph 08 Sep 2010
In reply to Chad H:

Perhaps if you were to remove your head from your own backside you would be able to see them.
dynouk 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: Your right mate, some of the replies are quite offensive, don't take it personally, they're just jealous and wishing they're good as you..the fact that you are even curious what others your age around climbing is a great sign of competitiveness, no matter, you're going to be climbing some hardcore level before your even 18 if you just keep climbing and having fun with it.
If you do want to compare yourself with kids your age, then join some of your local comps and i'm sure with the level your climbing already, nationals close by..
Billy De Kid 09 Oct 2010
In Britain I would say it is probably about V10. In the world I know that Loic Le Denmat bouldered benchmark V12 before he was 13.
People of the age of 13 will undoubtedly go much farther than this in the near future though. I recon you will find people of this age doing V14 within the next couple of years.
 Iain McKenzie 09 Oct 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: One of the girls from the wall did Green Traverse which is v6 on her second attempt when she was 12, it was pretty impressive.
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: Once again, thanks for your replys!!
crowbarspine 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Beastly Squirrel: Hey... Cicada Jenerek climbed V10 aged 10 and V11 aged 11. I lost track after that but she is 16 now - so who knows?? (See Return2Sender for footage of her 'sending' a V10 aged 10)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...