UKC

Monadh Mor - cycle approach from Feshie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 17 Aug 2010
There appears to be a vehicle track marked from Glenfeshie Lodge up the spur to the south of Coire Garbhalach and across the Moine Mor. Is it feasible to take a pretty bog-standard mountain bike (and bog-standard rider) up and across this as an approach to Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain, ot should I just go for the Linn of Dee approach?
 IainMunro 17 Aug 2010
OP Jamie B 18 Aug 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Thanks for that.

Planning a day hit from the West coast, so keen to make the Feshie approach work. It does look like you're better off parking on the west side of the river and cycling to Feshie Lodge; the crux is whether the bridge that's been wiped out is the one at the lodge that accesses the hill track...

Also keen to hear abot the viability of the hill track for cycling; last time I was up there it was covered in snow.
 rif 18 Aug 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: afaik the bridge at Carnachuin still hasn't been replaced, even though the estate was originally talking about doing it early this summer. There is a path past Achlean on the E side of the river but it wouldn't be quick on a bike.

Would the bike actually save any time? I walked MM and BB from the roadhead near Achlean in something like 7 hrs car to car a few months ago, without hurrying. Follow the Carn Ban Mor path all the way to the track you originally asked about, along it to the Allt Sgairnich, then head E over or past Tom Dubh and cross the top of the Eidart to get onto MM.

Rob
 Mike-W-99 18 Aug 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Jamie, unfortunately the bridge that was washed away was the one required to access the track.

Theres one higher up near Stonetroper which is clearly signed as the last bridge over the feshie. You could cross there and see what the single track is like on the east bank (I saw folk cycling this last month). Having said that though you'd be as well parking at Auchlean and cycling from there.

The mountain biking web sites have plenty of info on the routes round feshie as I'd though about seeing how far up I could get the bike there myself a few weeks ago.

The Linn of Dee approach is fine but this seems quite an adventurous alternative.
OP Jamie B 18 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

It's 4k from Achlean to the former bridge; if it turns out that I'm pushing for much of that distance than any time advantage the hill track gives me is lost. Time for a rethink...
 fimm 18 Aug 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

From memory (and it is a 2 - 3 years since I was in Glen Feshie...) the bit you are likely to have to push is from Auchlean to the building at Auchleum - after that it is more of a track. At least, that is what I remember - although it is shown as a path on the map. I also think that the other bridge shown on the map south of Auchleum was OK - I think we went to have a look at it (although we definitely crossed the bridge that is now down on the way in to the bothy).

(Sorry for lack of grid references; I'm looking at Streetmap.)
 malky_c 18 Aug 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: The bridge issue has already been covered by others. The track is pretty steep, but in good nick (unless any of it has been washed out recently).

Someone once got an ice cream van up there, so you should be OK (see the last 3 paragraphs from this article: http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac52/abitmore.htm )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...