UKC

Southampton Uni - Accommodation info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 23 Aug 2010
A work colleague's son may be going to southampton uni at short notice - and will probably not get any accommodation. Anyone here have any useful info on where they should look - I mean specific information rather than general "the uni should have some details".

Thanks.
 EeeByGum 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Philip: Get him to call their union / guild and get them to put him through to the housing officer / office. Most unis have a list of approved landlords / houses for shares etc.
OP Philip 23 Aug 2010
In reply to EeeByGum:

Yes that's the kind of stating the obvious reply I didn't need. I think most people are capable of finding that kind of thing. I was after more specific info I could pass on from current/former students about places to avoid or particular local newspapers that are good to find lettings. Not just generalities of house finding.
xrayspex 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Philip: many years ago... students mostly lived in Portswood, especially in an area called the avenues (there's a load of roads called such and such avenue, all parallel, south of the university if you look at a map you'll see). It isn't far to campus, has shops, takeaways and several of the popular student pubs in easy reach. Highfield is closer to campus and was regarded as a bit nicer. Obviously nicer or cheaper houses could be found in both.

I lived in Shirley which is on the far side of the common, which makes a pleasant walk or cycle ride there and back but is quite far and very indirect by public transport, it wasn't at all a studenty area at that time. Then I lived in Bitterne which is also not studenty, close to a park and quite nice. Basically the university is next to the common on its west side, areas south and east (Portswood and down to the river respectively) were popular and north (Flowers estate) was not, relatively nice or grotty houses were available in all the areas. My only subsequent visit a couple of years ago suggests things haven't greatly changed.

When I was there, there was indeed a housing office and they did actually publish a list of people looking for extras about this time of year. That would definitely be my first port of call. University oriented landlords would advertise on it but typically you needed to get a whole house and have the right number of people, now there will be people looking to fill a space. Obviously it is much easier if you are there in person and if I were in that situation I would probably go and poke about the union and look at the notice boards of (sports) clubs or departments that interest me and see if there were small ads, or if they have webpages with a chatpage as that might be a shortcut to meeting some like-minded people.
trevor simpson 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Philip:

Post a question about it on UKC, there will probably be some (ex)students reading who might be able to help?
 Ashley 23 Aug 2010
In reply to Philip:

Here's a link to the housing section of the SUSU (Southampton University Students Union) forum:

http://forum.susu.org/index.php?sub=list_threads&fid=3

Also worth checking out the Southampton gumtree:

http://southampton.gumtree.com/southampton/2183_1.html

Failing both of those the London Road in Southampton is lined with Letting Agencies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...