UKC

Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 26 Aug 2010
Delayed start, but Pakistan has won the toss and put England into bat - could be a very tricky afternoon
 Welsh Kate 26 Aug 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Even more trickier because my computer at a distinguished UK HE institution freezes every time I try to link to the 5 Live commentary
Strauss out, 39-1 and bad light has come to England's recue

Cook survived a drop and a review, but has hung in difficult conditions
And some muppet has started a copycat thread

(thats me banned from the Works then....)
 Horse 26 Aug 2010

Are your sure it is the same test the scores seem to be different!
Terrible start to the day for England - 39-3, Cook out after 3 balls and KP didn't last much longer
 Philip 27 Aug 2010
39 for 4!!
Collapse or what!
 Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Philip:
There's a certain comfort, after all England's recent cricketing success, to know that they can still do a batting collapse in style.

Philip 27 Aug 2010
Amir, 4 for 0 in 8 balls. Perhaps we should be checking for any British relatives and not letting him out of the country!
In reply to Philip:
Extraordinary spell of bowling
Gone for good 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: 2 tests and 2 batting collapses, doesnt bode well for the Ashes.
 Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Gone for good:
Indeed. But it's quite entertaining to hear Boycott steaming
 Horse 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Should we get out the Boycott Bingo card before tuning into TMS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/testmatchspecial/4910566798/
In reply to Horse:
Thanks for posting that - brilliant !
 Philip 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Is Boycott doing TMs and Sky and Channel 5 or just screaming loud enough to be heard on all of them. Reason being - I heard him on TMS and then on C5 that evening he was there again, but I though C5 used Sky footage.
 Horse 27 Aug 2010

It was a bit of a running gag during the last test. Agnew got an email suggesting it for his end of day round up with Boycott. Next day that image was put on Flickr and that evening Agnew set up Boycott on several occasions during the summary, had him hook line a sinker. Superb entertainment.
In reply to Horse:
97-5 at lunch
 grubes 27 Aug 2010
Oh $h!t
 Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2010
In reply to grubes:
Even sh#ttier!
I was going to say that the first few overs after lunch would be critical, and hope that Amir didn't have the same impact as he'd had with his first few overs in the morning session

Oh well...
 MHutch 27 Aug 2010

I feel a verrry slow over rate from England's bowlers coming on...
 lowersharpnose 27 Aug 2010

Pants.

I have just turned the radio on, what happened to the form?
 Dan Lane 27 Aug 2010
In reply to MHutch:

An artificial rain machine would be good too...
 MHutch 27 Aug 2010
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Pants.
>
> I have just turned the radio on, what happened to the form?

They maintained it.
 Simon 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Dan Lane:

Strauss b Asif 13
Cook c K Akmal b Amir 10
Trott not out 52
Pietersen c K Akmal b Amir 0
Collingwood lbw b Amir 0
Morgan c Hameed b Amir 0
Prior c K Akmal b Amir 22
Swann c Azhar b Amir 0
Broad not out 7
Extras 7nb 5w 1lb 13

120 / 7

Peiterson was out a golden duck.

Amir 4/0 in 8 balls!

TMS are discussing what a collection of ducks are - as they seem to be everywhere - on the pitch & the scorecard!

Si
 Simon 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Simon:

And Aggers had duck for lunch!

coincidence that we have had 4 of them? ;0)
 Simon 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Simon:

126 / 7

Can we get 200?

hmm
 Horse 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Simon:

Surely, on UKC at least, the collective noun for ducks would be an "Evans".
Lets not forget that Pakistan did this against the Aussies as well, went from dire to match-winners in a few days

Question is, how long before England think the unthinkable and drop KP ? I can't see them changing before the first Ashes test, but if that goes pear shaped then maybe
185-7 at tea

Good recovery from 102-7, but I suspect we'll see another good spell from Amir in the next half hour

Well played to Broad for hitting him for 6 just before tea - don't get him too angry though...
 Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2010
Blimey, you to go the gym for a couple of hours and come back expecting Pakistan to be 50 without loss, and England are 216-7!
Great recovery - 259-7 now, Broad gets 1000 test runs and his highest score

Pakistan were odds-on favourites after lunch, but now back at 4-1

But, what will Amir do with the new ball .... ?
 Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2010
Well done, Stuart Broad. Not a complete surprise - I was pretty confident he'd make a test century one day.
 Bulls Crack 27 Aug 2010

First first class century, 1000 runs, at Lords when England in trouble....

Makes our footballers performances look a bit cr*p.
 Simon 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Putting on 200 plus for the 8th wicket is amazing - Chris the Tall has been our Al Evans by proxy (sorry Chris! ;0)

Thrilled for Broad to get on the honours board at Lords for his maiden century.

Trott, for me has cemented his place & Peitersen needs to get in some county cricket & not play the one day's.

How the dressing room gets together tonight to look at the days play will be very interesting!

All in all its been a great few days test cricket - which is the main thing.

Si
 Alan Taylor 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Simon: Peitersen needs to get dropped and fight his way back into the side.

In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Welsh Kate)
>
> Putting on 200 plus for the 8th wicket is amazing - Chris the Tall has been our Al Evans by proxy (sorry Chris! ;0)
>
Oi ! that's unfair ! You were the one who doubted whether England won make 200

I normally try to offset the great black cloud with a bit of hopeless optimism and then get accused of tempting fate !

Still a remarkable turnaround for England, pressure on Pakistan now

As for KP - there's just one problem with the suggestion of him playing county cricket - his county don't want him anymore.
 Graham T 27 Aug 2010

I heard talk of KP going to surrey for county.
One thing is for sure he needs to be left out to get some time actually playing. Then hopefully back for a crack at the aussies
 lowersharpnose 28 Aug 2010

We have crashed to 438/8.
 Welsh Kate 28 Aug 2010
Just got back in after a day out on the hills.

So far this test has produced a scorecard which has to be the most bizarre I've ever seen.
When I saw Pakistan were 9-2 I thought it wasn't a good start, then I saw that was their SECOND innings!
 lowersharpnose 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Agreed, a crazy scorecard.
 Horse 28 Aug 2010

I went out for a bike ride at the start of the Pakistani innings, the score was 10 or so for 2 or 3. Came back and saw it was 9-2 and thought rain must have stopped play, took a while to realise it was now their second knock.
Kipper 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Horse:

I'm not sure the opponents are too interested in actually playing, and have found a better way of passing the time before they go home - http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924349/Cricket-in-the-dock-as-we-expos...
banned profile 74 28 Aug 2010
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> We have crashed to 438/8.

oh yeah that a terrible score after 100odd for 7!!!
Kipper 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> I'm not sure the opponents are too interested in actually playing, and have found a better way of passing the time before they go home - http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924349/Cricket-in-the-dock-as-we-expos...

The BBC have it now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11122388
 WB 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Kipper: Gave 150,000 to a middle man, who could 'arrange for no balls'... Sounds like News of the world got ripped off to me.

If they want I can arrange for Villa to get a corner for 150,000...
 WB 28 Aug 2010
In reply to WB: I take it back. Dodgy stuff.
 Alan Taylor 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: 66 for 7 now, The heart seems to have gone out of them.
So what should have been a great advert for test cricket now goes down as the complete opposite. Feel very sorry for Broad and Trott - their magnificent acheivement is tarnished.

I feel much the same as I did a couple of years ago when Ricco (?) was thrown off the TDF after his magnicent stage win was shown to be drug-fuelled. You start to wonder how much you can believe. Is there a simple reason behind an extraordinary performance ?

OK slightly differant, since it wasn't the cheats doing the extraordinary performance, but there will always be the suspicion that they took the foot off the gas at crucial times.

Can't see how Amir or Asif can play again, does look pretty conclusive. Such a shame for Amir who showed fantastic talent. Yes innocent til proven guilty, but he's going to need one amazing explanation.

One final point - how desperate do you have to be to be betting on when a no-ball is bowled. Outcome, next wicket, highest scorer etc, all that I can understand (though never been a fan of gambling) but this is as pathetic as betting on drops of rain on a window. No sympathy with bookies accepting such bets either, but it's surely it's going to be very obvious when it's rigged if figures of £150,000 are involved ?

And don't get me started of the tactics of the Murdoch press....
 lowersharpnose 31 Aug 2010

England drop Kevin Pietersen for limited overs series

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/8956731.stm

Kevin Pietersen has been omitted from England's limited overs series against Pakistan, with the 30-year-old batsman announcing the news via Twitter.

Pietersen's announcement contained an expletive and was hastily deleted, but the England and Wales Cricket Board later confirmed he had been dropped....

About time methinks.
Good to see he took it well and didn't throw a pathetic hissy fit ...

It's a bit unfortunate that the fine efforts of Trott, Broad and the other bowlers meant that the rest of the batsmen didn't get chance to atone for their sins in the first innings. They could all do with a innings or two at county level
 Offwidth 31 Aug 2010

"One final point - how desperate do you have to be to be betting on when a no-ball is bowled."

It's said to be not uncommon to have bets on the result of the next ball in bookies on the subcontinent. Strikes me as very undesperate to have a sure thing!
 tony 31 Aug 2010
> (In reply to lowersharpnose)
> Good to see he took it well and didn't throw a pathetic hissy fit ...
>
> It's a bit unfortunate that the fine efforts of Trott, Broad and the other bowlers meant that the rest of the batsmen didn't get chance to atone for their sins in the first innings. They could all do with a innings or two at county level

True, which makes the fact that Pietersen doesn't play for a county all the more of a problem. He's got a bit of thinking to do.
Kipper 31 Aug 2010
In reply to tony:
>
> True, which makes the fact that Pietersen doesn't play for a county all the more of a problem. He's got a bit of thinking to do.

He thinks he plays for Surrey.

GrahamD 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Kipper:

Well he isn't playing for England at the moment ....
 tony 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
>
> He thinks he plays for Surrey.

When I wrote my earlier post, he hadn't signed for Surrey - this seems to have been rushed through. My point was that he'd quit Hampshire earlier in the season - Southampton being too far from his home in London, poor wee thing - so he hadn't been able to go back to a county to play decent 4-day games.
In reply to all:
Mind the sag of KPs ego - what do people think to the no-ball story ?
fijibaby 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: Re: Kp. Good that they've dropped him at last. When he plays well he's excellent, problem is not even he knows when that's going to be. Too much of an ego for one man.
The no-ball story is terrible. Amir played fantastically well, he had a real future ahead of him, now he seems to have thrown it away.
This test has seen some brilliant cricket; Trott and Broad digging in for hours on end, top rate bowling from both sides, a really good test. Now everyone is talking about the betting scandal and forgetting about one of the best tests I've seen in ages.
I've no idea how Pakistan cricket are going to get out of this. It seems to be too enmeshed with politics to solve it simply.
 tony 01 Sep 2010
In reply to fijibaby:

Quite agree with all that. One thing that has emerged is just how poorly paid the Pakistan players are compared with other Test players - apparently the £4000 that Mohammed Amir got for player of the series is about 3 times his monthly retainer. Their central contracts are pitiful, and they've been prevented from playing in the IPL, so as international sportsmen go, they're not well paid. Two things the Pakistan Cricket Board could do would be to increase the value of the central contracts to something decent, and to let the players go to the IPL.

Sadly, if the allegations are true, the overwhelming message would be that the guilty players will be banned for life, which in Amir's case in particular, is a terrible shame.
 GrahamD 01 Sep 2010
In reply to tony:

Well on the PCBs track record, a life ban could be over by Christmas - they haven't exactly got a good track record for making penalties stick.

It would be a real shame to start life (meaning life) bans on an 18 year old.
fijibaby 01 Sep 2010
In reply to GrahamD: It would be real shame if this was the end of his career. Exceptional players like that can really make matches.
I think he was naive and tempted by the cash. As Tony pointed out they earn a relatively poor salary compared to other professional sportsmen.
> Mind the sag of KPs ego

That should have read "Nevermind the saga...." - I'm having one of those days

Good points re how much the Pakistan players are paid and the IPL situation, it's not something I was aware of.

My guess is that they will pin most of the blame on Asif, ban him for life, and say that he led Amir astray, so that he will get a shorter ban

Al Evans 02 Sep 2010
In reply to fijibaby:
> (In reply to GrahamD) It would be real shame if this was the end of his career. Exceptional players like that can really make matches.
> I think he was naive and tempted by the cash. As Tony pointed out they earn a relatively poor salary compared to other professional sportsmen.

A former Pakistan captain (can't remember who) pointed out yesterday on the BBC World Service, that while Pakistan cricketers may get paid less than other international cricketers, they are actually paid very well by Pakistan standards of pay generally.
 tony 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Al Evans:

That may be true, but a Pakistani Test player playing against England will be playing against centrally contracted players who are paid at least 10 times as much (and that's before IPL earnings and advertising endorsements), so it's not hard to understand how they might feel undervalued. Players may not know whether they'll get many chances to make an easy £x,000 from bowling a few innocuous no-balls, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did succumb to temptation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...