UKC

Spitfire noise!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Piers 27 Aug 2010
There is a spitfire circling round Colerne airstrip which can be seen from my house, but frustratingly it is just out of reach of my 17-85mm lens to get a decent photo. I wish I had a 70-200mm lens now.

The engine sounds great though and it keeps teasing me as I can hear it heading towards the house, so I think it going to fly over, then the engine note drops as it starts to turn away.

Any of you have any favourite planes?
 mypyrex 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:
>
> Any of you have any favourite planes?

Tiger Moth(among many) - I learned to fly and did my flying test on one.

owlart 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers: Anything with a Merlin engine Oh, and the Vulcan, of course!

Annoyingly my brother lives down the road from Duxford, and sees so many Spitfires go overhead he's become blase about them now, and only gets interested when it's a formation of them!
 Richard Carter 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

Piper Tomahawk
 mypyrex 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to Piers)
>
> Piper Tomahawk

A bit "bland" ?

browndog33 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers: Euro fighter- sound like thunder!!!! gob smackingly powerful. M
 browndog33 27 Aug 2010
In reply to owlart: And of course the vulcan (I want one!)M
 doz generale 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

bf109e emil and the spitfire mk1.
Lord Percy 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

At an air show many years ago, saw a Lightning. Pretty low down over the runway, then dropped the tail, full power and went 'ballistic'.

In the words of Kevin Bloody Wilson, 'The kids all sh1t, the women screamed, and the men said f**k out loud'

Awesome plane.

But yeah, Spitfire gets my vote every time, can 'feel' the engine noise in my stomach when I'm lucky enough to see one.
OP Piers 27 Aug 2010
In reply to browndog33:

Saw the Euro fighter at a show and it just seemed to hover in the turn and it sounds awesome.
 teflonpete 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

Spitfire for me. I see one circling over Halton once in a while, fantastic.

Love the Battle of Britain flight coming over too, 6 Merlins, oooh!
Clauso 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

The de Havilland Mosquito. Nuff said.
 Tall Clare 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

The Antonov An-225
 Blue Straggler 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

My plane of existence.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Phwoooooar I like a gal wi' a bit o' meat on 'er

http://widebodyaircraft.nl/an225no1.jpg
In reply to Tall Clare:

I think it's about engine noise though, shall we stop spoiling it

Clauso 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> I think it's about engine noise though, shall we stop spoiling it

Yeah, sod off. This thread is for aircraft anoraks. Get back to yer movies...
 Trangia 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Trangia:

And the full orchestra (4 Merlins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEOxGxi3XI&feature=related
Daithi O Murchu 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

FW 190

Zero

prety mych all of he non Ill 2 and its addons
 jshields 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers: Another vote for the Spitfire, a thing of beauty!
jon
Paul F 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Trangia:

They sound better up close

youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE&
 ThunderCat 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Paul F:

When I was in Junior school they flew a Vulcan bomber to a small airfield in Sunderland which is now a museum.

My school is a about a mile from the airfield and directly under the flight path. It was the loudest thing I had ever experienced and I was terrified...I kept thinking 'this cannot get any louder!!!', but it did.

A truly awesome sight and sound which has always stuck in my mind.
OP Piers 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Keep em coming!!
 sir 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to Piers)
>
> Piper Tomahawk

Another vote for the Piper Traumahawk
 gjh 28 Aug 2010
I always liked the Sopworth Camel as a kid, mind you that might have been because i loved the Biggles books
birdman 28 Aug 2010
In reply to sir:

Seriously...... a piper tomohawk, well you've just gone and ruined this thread. I'm sure the native amerians would turn in their graves if they thought that the piper tomohawk was named after their sacred weapon of choice. After all it sounds like a a bee stuck in a glass, it just makes an annoying buzzzzzz.

Now if you said a spitfire, i'd have a lot more respect for you. Personally my favorites are (oldschool) spitfire for obvious reasons, for sheer noise production (and it was in a bond film) the VULCAN (said very loudly) and my new favorite the Typhoon for its unbelievable power and performance.

and if you want to see some serious flying watch this, no medium level nav at 2000ft, big boys in expensive toys having fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqI9-dPNuE&feature=related
Sapper4083 28 Aug 2010
 paul birch 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers: Looked at this thread this morning, then a lancaster flew over my garden whilst i was having a bbq this afternoon, now the battle of britain is on the tele. Top draw.
 Bulls Crack 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

Mosquito - balsa wood at 400 mph!
 Fatt Matt 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers: for me based on sound alone would have to be Concord taking off when I worked in a building almost next to the runway. What a fantastic plane and such a shame no longer flying

However it was also quite a cool sound experience for me being sat on a bus in the dark almost parked on the runway, watching what I think was a couple of F16 taking off, pretty much vertically on afterburners
 Jim Fraser 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

A hard choice.

Blackburn Buccaneer S2?
De Havilland Mosquito?
Concord?
Hawker Hurricane?
Hawker Siddeley Harrier? (Last Sopwith????)
 Graham T 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Jim Fraser: I can remember going to the alconbury air show years ago when I was little and being stood on the tarmac when about 4 bucaneers starting their engines and powering up. I thought the world was coming to an end. Thanks mum for being a translator for the french para team. Getting me right on the tarmac and in with the pilots.
In reply to Piers: The Merlin engine seems to be the common denominator in a lot of the choices, and has to be the best sounding piston engine. However, when the B1b Lancer which took off from Waddington a couple of years ago on afterburners, the shockwave pulses just about knocked everyone over!
I did spend some time with an EJ200 Eurofighter engine on the test rig at DERA/QinetiQ, which did all the right things on afterburner, but cant say the Eurofighter is as exciting as a Lightning standing on its tail on afterburners. Those Tay engines ended up as industrial power units, but what a great design.
OP Piers 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yea - That still ceases to amaze me! I have to say the mosquito is a plane that I wish I knew more about. Better get my head in some books!
 Jim Fraser 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

My late father used to tell a story about when he was finishing his carpentry and joinery apprenticeship in the period 39-41 and saw several unidentified weird pieces of framing and plywood being produced for the government in various workshops. Later, as an RAF Regiment Gunner, he started to recognise the same shapes on De Havilland Mosquitos.
 Jim Fraser 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Graham T:

http://www.avcollect.com/themight.htm

11 feet?

The classic Buccaneer story is of some guy having to pull up to put the undercarriage down.

I was once driving along a nearby trunk road and saw one in my rear view mirror as though he was part of the following traffic. He didn't waste much time overtaking.
EasyAndy 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

old:
mustang p-51
f4u corsairs

youtube.com/watch?v=FQxb-V-rZqA&

listen to the flyby at the end :o
 Tom Valentine 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:
I love the Merlin sound like anyone else. But I doubt that many people who have not heard them in comparison /contrast with others flying at the time could actually distinguish between a Spitfire and, say, a Tempest : the latter with a Napier Sabre, different configuration of cylinders, not too reliable but tremendously powerful.Unfortunately I've never heard a Tempest (or Typhoon ) in real life.

As for my favourite, it's got to be the Swordfish.
Clauso 29 Aug 2010
In reply to All:

<Tut!> Look, how many times do I have to tell you?

youtube.com/watch?v=JC5A8GxGVdc&

This thread is now closed.
 The Pylon King 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:

> Any of you have any favourite planes?

De haviland DH 2

SE 5a

Fokker Eindecker

Fokker Triplane

sir 30 Aug 2010
In reply to birdman:
> (In reply to sir)
>
> Seriously...... a piper tomohawk, well you've just gone and ruined this thread. I'm sure the native amerians would turn in their graves if they thought that the piper tomohawk was named after their sacred weapon of choice. After all it sounds like a a bee stuck in a glass, it just makes an annoying buzzzzzz.
>
> Now if you said a spitfire, i'd have a lot more respect for you. Personally my favorites are (oldschool) spitfire for obvious reasons, for sheer noise production (and it was in a bond film) the VULCAN (said very loudly) and my new favorite the Typhoon for its unbelievable power and performance.
>
> and if you want to see some serious flying watch this, no medium level nav at 2000ft, big boys in expensive toys having fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqI9-dPN...

When I am sitting in my Tomahawk and can here the engine it is a great noise, When the noise stops I am not in the least bit chuffed

Andy Long 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Piers:
My grandparents house was under the approach to Thornaby in the mid-fifties. We'd watch meteors and vampires on finals. I have a nostalgia for that distinctive "note" that those early centifugal-flow jet engines made, quite different to the roar of modern ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...