UKC

The great climb...commentators?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murd 27 Aug 2010
Sure this will get moved to another forum but I figured that this will be rock talk...quite litterally...

Have to say that I’m looking forward to watching the spectacle of the great climb tomorrow. It did get me thinking however that how a live commentary can spice up or kill watching a live sports event. So I wonder how will be doing the commentary to this event? I was thinking that Euro sports Julian Ryder & Toby moody would be a excellent choice, (I know there are busy right now)loads of enthusiasm and deep seated knowledge along with there ability to bicker lovingly almost at each other. Many times I have watched a wet qualifying session with no action on track and still find it thoroughly entertaining due to there commentary. So I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions….maybe the Andy Grey Martin Tyler approach, or the John (should have retired years ago) Motson sat alongside Murray walker. Or how about some cricket commentators….sure they must be able talk some amusing patter when there is not much going on? Thoughts please. literally
 Fiend 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd:

Peter Alliss b2b Stevie Haston.
 Dr.S at work 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd:
the TMS team would be ideal

they are experienced at dealing with rain delays
 Choss Weasel 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd: I think it's ex-Runrig drummer and c-list football pundit Dougie Vipond who's doing the commentary.
 baldie 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: Ignorance is bliss. Dougie was the drummer for Deacon Blue. And do you consider scottish television to be c list also. If you don't know the true facts shut up.
thepeaks 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd: "theres some water on the holds ... they think its all over etc"

Pity Leo Houlding and someone else with a suitable surname isn`t doing it.. "The belayers Houlding the climbers Emmett" etc
 Juglan 28 Aug 2010
I cant find the link on the bbc website where it will be streamed live, anyone got it?
 vincentvega 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:

Im also looking for the same!!

Allan
 Juglan 28 Aug 2010
Its really stupid how you cant seem to get BBC2 Scotland on the TV, even with freeview. I notice BBC1 Scotland is there
 Erik B 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Paul Doran: does anyone know if they are actually streaming it live? still showing the review... sloppy stuff by the bbc
 Erik B 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Erik B: its showing now on the sport page, but only available to UK users!! FFS!!!

can someone post the url please?
 Erik B 28 Aug 2010
In reply to jacobfinn: nah we are shafted, unless someone can get the source url for the stream
EasyAndy 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd: climbing really doesnt need a commentary
 Peter Walker 28 Aug 2010
In reply to EasyAndy: Especially not from Cameron McNeish.
 Choss Weasel 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Peter Walker:
> (In reply to EasyAndy) Especially not from Cameron McNeish.

Totally! What does a rambling/walking journalist know about hard trad climbing?!
 petestack 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel:
> Totally! What does a rambling/walking journalist know about hard trad climbing?!

Since you've been banging on about this on another thread too, possibly as much as you! Now I'm no Cameron McNeish fan, but thought the commentary was competently done, being appropriately split between expert climbers like Duncan McCallum and Mark Garthwaite and (remembering the broadcast's potential mass audience) outdoor enthusiasts like Cameron McNeish and Dougie Vipond, not to mention well-sustained given its *live* nature. You, OTOH, are making yourself sound just a little bit silly by protesting too much!
OP Murd 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Murd: Thought the coverage was top notch, well done the beeb and all involved
 Choss Weasel 28 Aug 2010
In reply to petestack: I didn't realise Cameron McNeish was a climber. I stand corrected. I just found his presence incongruous that's all as I thought he was a walking and rambling related journalist. I had no idea he used to climb hard. Apologies. I only sounded off because I find him quite irritating.
 Joak 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: I don't think he has ever claimed to have climbed hard and is probably only better known for his rambling journalism. Met him on the hill a oouple of years ago and he came across as your average unassuming Joe with a deep affection for mountains and mountaineering. Funnily enough I had been watching "The Edge" on VHS the night before.
 petestack 28 Aug 2010
> (In reply to petestack) I didn't realise Cameron McNeish was a climber. I stand corrected. I just found his presence incongruous that's all as I thought he was a walking and rambling related journalist.

But, as suggested above, his presence would still have been fair enough as part of the team for a mass audience?

> I had no idea he used to climb hard.

I don't know about hard (meaning I genuinely don't know, not that I'm knocking his standard), but he's certainly done a good bit of climbing.

> Apologies.

No apologies necessary. Not to me, anyway, and especially not after that guy had a quite unnecessarily harsh/rude go at you on the other thread (NB I'm replying here because I don't want to distract attention from Dave, Tim and the whole team's achievement on the other one)...

> I only sounded off because I find him quite irritating.

Always the danger when these ubiquitous types get wheeled out for everything on TV and radio (on which note, I'm neither particularly for or against him)!
 m dunn 28 Aug 2010
> (In reply to petestack) I didn't realise Cameron McNeish was a climber. I stand corrected.

You're not being corrected for that.
 Choss Weasel 28 Aug 2010
In reply to petestack: Well ok that's absolutely fair enough. It's just as I said I've always found McNeish quite annoying! Maybe I didn't think of the wider picture. Also I imagine he was cheaper for them to hire than the likes of Leo Houlding would have been Still they did have some top climbers involved with the commentary such as Stephen Venables and Dave Cuthbertson and overall it was really well presented.
In reply to Murd: All in all I think it was a great little program. It would have appealed to both the climbing community (yes we know what chalk is used for lol) but gave plenty of information to those who know nothing about it! It may well have encouraged a few to get climbing - not a bad thing at all!

The only complaint I have is they missed the start of the 4th pitch (I think) as they must have switched to the BBC HD service but all in all a jolly good job - congrats to all involved; Tim & Dave, the commentators and the crew!!
 petestack 28 Aug 2010
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:
> (yes we know what chalk is used for lol)

Coagulating blood!

> The only complaint I have is they missed the start of the 4th pitch (I think) as they must have switched to the BBC HD service

Wasn't aware of missing that (was watching the web-streamed version), but can't swear I saw it.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Aug 2010
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:
> The only complaint I have is they missed the start of the 4th pitch

They switched away for a 'highlights so far' section, and when they switched back, Dave was standing on the ledge below where he'd got to before they switched. So presumably he'd come down to wait for them to resume coverage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...