UKC

Janelle Monae - anyone else like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Hooper 31 Aug 2010
On rotation on car stereo at the moment

youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4&

My new favorite artiste I think.
 Frank4short 31 Aug 2010
In reply to David Hooper: She is the proverbial dogs danglies. Going to see her this friday too. Jealous much?
 Blue Straggler 31 Aug 2010
In reply to David Hooper:

She has a good set of lungs and expressive eyes but I don't see what's so special, sorry! The musical backing is just noisy wallpaper too.
(comment based only on the YouTube clip in the OP - I don't feel inspired to look further)
 Ztephan 31 Aug 2010

I quite disliked the song you linked to, but have heard good things about her though.
Hope it's just not hype.
She is supposed to play a major part in of Montreals(one of my favourite bands of all time) new album, which is due out in a few weeks, maybe you should check it out as well.
 Frank4short 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgbzNHVg0c&feature=channel its a bit more distinctive & interesting in my opinion.
OP David Hooper 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Frank4short:

Oh I like that - is that from one of the first 2 albums?

Looks like Andres clothes designs and also looks like Andre and Big Boi and drum and guitar as well.

You have whet my appetite to Google for tour dates - where are you going to see her Frank?
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to David Hooper)
The musical backing is just noisy wallpaper too.

Its the next single. To my ears the musical backing is a clever mix of D&B and stadium rock.

We DO watch life on diffrent channels.
 Frank4short 31 Aug 2010
In reply to David Hooper: Apparently she's in the UK maybe the week after next something like that, check ticketbastard. I'm going to see her are a festival here called the electricpicnic. Apparently she's doing a small set in one of the out of the way hidden in the woods venues on friday as well as her set on the mainstage.
In reply to Frank4short: Post a report on here after you have seen her please.

Did u get to Wales for the MTBing or you not been yet?
 Frank4short 31 Aug 2010
In reply to David Hooper: Been & long gone, about a month ago with a gang of mates. We did Penmachno & the beast at Coed Y. Was good & the trails were nice but what made the weekend was having 4/5 lads caning it as hard as we could on the singletrack usually with no more than 2-4ms between wheels. Really livens things up that.
In reply to Frank4short: Penmachno is 10 mins from my cottage - Loop 2 is my fave singletrack "quick blast"
In reply to Frank4short:

That was hugely more engaging than the one in the OP, and no that's not because I was dazzled by the ostentatious visuals. She does have an air of trying just a bit too hard with her wide eyes and wacky dancing, but that's OK.
 Michael Ryan 01 Sep 2010

First heard on UKC a while ago...bought the album on the strength of it....

vimeo.com/2553719
 Michael Ryan 01 Sep 2010

..and thanks for the reminder, just bought and listened to ArchAndroid..

Genius.
OP David Hooper 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

How does Arch Android compare to her first 2 albums Mick? Ive not heard them yet?
 Frank4short 01 Sep 2010
In reply to David Hooper: There's only an EP before Archandroid, or at least that is that's readily available. Personally i prefer it, though it is of course a matter of opinion.
 Frank4short 06 Sep 2010
In reply to David Hooper: STUNNING LIVE! Such presence on stage & an absolutely flawless voice. I can honestly say I've not seen anyone perform live before that has/had a better voice. Only minor complaint I have is she wasn't on for long enough.
 eivindf 10 Sep 2010
Best album of the year so far, I think. Seeing her in December in London. So looking forward to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...