UKC

I want to climb with Tim Emmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 01 Sep 2010
Aside from the fact he is a great climber and could teach a novice like me loads.

He is the most upbeat and encouraging belayer ever! I could climb anything with encouragement like that.
 franksnb 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: I shouted "..two minutes dave..." at my girlfriend this weekend; she fell off laughing!
 franksnb 01 Sep 2010
In reply to franksnb: she's not called dave...
 Gandalf 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
one thing ive noticed climbing with upbeat encouraging climbers like tim appears to be, they are great, until they fall off, they are quite often confidence climbers so that would be it for alot of them

kudos to tim for getting back onto the rock and finishing!
 Keendan 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Gandalf:
> one thing ive noticed climbing with upbeat encouraging climbers like tim appears to be, they are great, until they fall off, they are quite often confidence climbers so that would be it for alot of them
>
> kudos to tim for getting back onto the rock and finishing!

I like the vid of Tim trying his new E10, falling off and saying "Timothy Emmet! What are you DOING?" He's still got a big fat grin on his face.
 JoshOvki 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I think I would prefer to climb with Dave. I hate it when people are shouting at me, it makes me stop thinking about the move.
 Chris F 01 Sep 2010
In reply to JoshOvki: Yup. I like a bit of enthusiasm up to a point, but also need a bit of STFU time when I'm digging deep. Most people I climb with know when I don't want noise.
 GrahamD 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Interesting to know whether he is always that vocal or whether there is some neccessity to make a bit more of show for camera ?
J1234 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Well email him and ask him. Most ace climbers are guides and make their living from climbing, but first and foremost they are climbers and nice people, even if he says no, he will say it nicely.
Tip: if he is not on UKC his mate Dave is, email him to forward it to Tim.
Cheers sjc
 Helnorris 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

He is constantly smiling isnt he. I dont think I have ever seen a photo or footage of him not smiling
 John Lewis 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: many of my climbing partners are just as encouraging. I'm very happy climbing with them
 Robert Durran 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> He is the most upbeat and encouraging belayer ever! I could climb anything with encouragement like that.

Each to their own, and I am sure he is a nice guy, but he would drive me nuts. At least that wet bit at the top shut up his inane banter for a bit!

As for all that over exuberant "go for it" encouragement, it may be fine for sport climbing, but I think it is quite out of place on a trad route; only the leader generally is in a position to weigh up whether a "go for it" approach is appropriate. What if I encouraged someone to go for it and they then fell off and got badly hurt or died? I would feel terrible. I limit myself to reassuring a leader that I am alert and watching them.

Rick Campbell 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:Robert: I always encourage leaders not to put in unnecessary runners in by dishing out 2 feet of extra slack per offending piece: I really should belay you sometime.
Regards, Rick.
 Robert Durran 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Rick Campbell:
I really should belay you sometime.
> Regards, Rick.

No Thanks!
Regards, Robert.

Ade7 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: From what I've seen he's like that all the time.
 MtnGeekUK 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

You can go climbing with Tim - one of my mates is in September...

tim@timemmett.com

http://www.timemmett.com/

OP DreadyCraig 01 Sep 2010
In reply to sjc:
I don't have the cash spare to pay for guiding and lets be honest I don't think he would want to climb with me
Maybe I should pitch to him a TV program that he can make "climbing for dummies" synopsis - "Tim Emmet teaches a tubby, unfit, weak, 30 year old how to climb"
Hmmm maybe not
J1234 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> (In reply to sjc)
> I don't have the cash spare to pay for guiding and lets be honest I don't think he would want to climb with me
> Maybe I should pitch to him a TV program that he can make "climbing for dummies" synopsis - "Tim Emmet teaches a tubby, unfit, weak, 30 year old how to climb"
>
Maybe after a motivational day with Tim, you might be inspired to lose some weight and gain some strength. And maybe he gets something out of inspiring people, so maybe he would want to climb with you.
You have said publicly what you want, and all that is standing between you and it is the cost of 2 or 3 tanks of petrol, sounds like you need motivating
 Simon Caldwell 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Helnorris:
> I dont think I have ever seen a photo or footage of him not smiling

He wasn't smiling when leading the final pitch on Saturday!
DEvans 02 Sep 2010
In reply to all

i hate encouragment when i'm climbing. it just makes me laugh and makes me think about the encouragment.
i remember getting close to the last move of a boulder problem that took awille to sus out the bottom bit and everyone starts saying things and i just started laughing and fell off.
 sandy 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Robert Durran: I agree that in "normal" trad climbing then having someone telling you to go for it may not be appropriate. But I guess in some respects this was a little more like a sport climbing situation. Both climbers had been on the route before and understood about the moves and the protection and so would have a pretty good idea about when a little motivation might be appreciated...

DancingOnRock 02 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

He is registered.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=87922

Oh and he is not gay. Apparently. As he points out in this thread.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=257838&v=1#x3814694
 The Pylon King 02 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> Aside from the fact he is a great climber and could teach a novice like me loads.
>
> He is the most upbeat and encouraging belayer ever! I could climb anything with encouragement like that.

He would do my f@cking head in

I am sure he's a nice person though
 welshgemma 02 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

me too! he's like the most enthusiastic guy ever!
 Robert Durran 02 Sep 2010
In reply to welshgemma:
> (In reply to DreadyCraig)
>
> me too! he's like the most enthusiastic guy ever!

Who is this most enthusiastic guy ever whom Tim Emmet is like - just so that I can like avoid him.

Max factor 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Robert Durran:
give a guy a break! i though he did a great job of actually taking time to talk to the commentators and of encouraging Dave. The whole programme would have been a lot more dull without him.
 Robert Durran 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Max factor:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> give a guy a break! The whole programme would have been a lot more dull without him.

I agree entirely. I was just saying (in my first post) that his "go for it" encouragement is not my cup of tea in a partner. Nothing personal.
My second post was, in case you hadn't realised, a weak joke at the expense of the the previous poster.

Max factor 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Robert Durran:

fair enough. i have a bad habit of replying to anyone when a fair bit of the thread was annoying me, but my comment wasn't intended to be directed at just you.
 Yanis Nayu 02 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> Aside from the fact he is a great climber and could teach a novice like me loads.
>

Seemed like a decent bloke to me too.
Removed User 04 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

It's no coincidence that I redpointed one of my hardest routes with Mr Emmet shouting all manner of profane words of support from below. Such positivity at the crag isn't for everyone, but I find I respond very well to it indeed. Tim just has tonnes of energy and doesn't mind sharing it.
 Soap 04 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: I would love to climb with Stevie Haston but I imagine instead of words of encouragement I would get a good beating for numerous balls ups
 Quarryboy 04 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I had the pleasure of him belaying me at UCR one evening during a training session
Tim Emmett 10 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Thanks for those that made positive comments. I think the energy between climber and the person belaying can make a massive difference to whether you succeed or fail.

Have you checked out my new venture. Trips of a life time...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tim-Emmett-Adventures/135203336512430
 Brass Nipples 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Tim Emmett:

Wow what a place like climbing inside a massive freezer that needs defrosting
In reply to Tim Emmett:

At the risk of being embarrassing, I'm going to repeat myself, and thank you (and Dave M) for the most entertaining live TV climbing programme since the classic Old Man of Hoy in the 60s - only this was better. I don't think I've ever seen anything on film or video that has conveyed the spirit of trad climbing in Britain quite as well as this - in no small part due to your contribution.
In reply to Tim Emmett:

PS. Of course, Brian and co did a stupendous job behind the scenes.
 sebrider 10 Sep 2010
In reply to DreadyCraig: Agreed, I thought his encouragement and loving life attitude was great, would be a laugh to have on a mission, except that he would constantly show you up, what a trooper!
I sure he must have been smiling most on the last pitch...don't fall so can finish in time, E5 in the piss wet in the middle of the outer Hebrides, just about to send! What a performance, something incomprehensibly difficult executed in great style
Tim Emmett 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Thanks Gordon. It was a massive team effort and huge amount of credit is due to every person that made it happen, especially in the time we had available. Such a cool route too!
Mega
T
 George Fisher 10 Sep 2010

I downloaded the great climb from iplayer to watch on the train to France last week, only for the last hour to get corrupted and not play.

Does anybody know how I can see the last bit or the whole thing again? I thought it was amazing. Inspirational even.
In reply to Tim Emmett:

My god, every pitch looked a stunner - except for the last I'm sure it'll now become one of the most desired 'ticks' in Britain for the most able. Though I guess that almost everybody will be defeated by the start of pitch 2.
In reply to Gfunk:

There are various ways it's alleged you can download it, but it didn't work for me on my Mac. I saw the whole thing live and then the first three pitches again on iPlayer - before having to go up to Scotland. By the time I'd got back iPlayer had wiped it. But of course it's coming out on DVD soon. I hope very soon, because it'll make a great Christmas present for many climbers.
In reply to Tim Emmett:

Loved the bit on that last wet pitch where you grabbed the hold in your left hand, thikning that was it, finished and it came away. Nothing like a fistful of heather for the last moves on a mountain multi pitch
In reply to PaleMan:

What's so lovely, isn't it, is that 'we've all been there' ... at a much lower standard.

Absolutely - mountain routes are my favourite climbs and I can well remember where rain has swept in when more than halfway up. I've taken a handful of heather, to make the final move onto a belay or the next ledge as I tentatively work my feet on the wet mossy and slimy rock above an airy finish
 Red Rover 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Tim Emmett: How did you climb that top pitch without swearing?
 ROFFER 10 Sep 2010
> (In reply to Tim Emmett)
>
> At the risk of being embarrassing, I'm going to repeat myself, and thank you (and Dave M) for the most entertaining live TV climbing programme since the classic Old Man of Hoy in the 60s - only this was better. I don't think I've ever seen anything on film or video that has conveyed the spirit of trad climbing in Britain quite as well as this - in no small part due to your contribution.

I haven't seen the Old Man Of Hoy film but couldn't agree more. I found it hugely inspirational and everyone involved deserves high praise. I even enjoyed the bits between the climbing as they helped to give the whole thing a sense of place and character.
In reply to ROFFER:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
>
> I haven't seen the Old Man Of Hoy film but couldn't agree more. I found it hugely inspirational and everyone involved deserves high praise. I even enjoyed the bits between the climbing as they helped to give the whole thing a sense of place and character.

Yes, that last point raised it far beyond any previous climbing broadcast.

But the main point is that everything that is most important about climbing, as I have understood it and experienced it, was so well demonstrated here: the gutsiness, the uncertainty, the teamwork, the banter, the humour, the adrenaline, the physicality ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...