UKC

Lou Reed is a bad man!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Sep 2010
He stopped Subo from singing 'Perfect Day' on America's got talent because he does not like her music.

Cock!

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/behind_the_music/19005/subo-banned-from...
 Tall Clare 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

why does that make him a cock? Is there a good reason why an artist *shouldn't* care how their music is used?
 ripper 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: I'm with Lou on this one... if that makes me a cock too, so be it
 Alan Taylor 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Another vote for Mr Reed
 Chris the Tall 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
Another vote for Lou Reed and his right to keep his music out of this tawdry circus.

The Velvet Underground were the original counter-culture musicians - what if Cowell's latest monkeys wanted to do a sanitised version of Heroin, Venus in Furs or Walk on the Wild Side ?
 ripper 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: Exactly - it was bad enough when they did Hallelujah
In reply to The Lemming: I'd have thought he'd be pleased that someone might want to cover one of his horrendous dirges
 Reidy 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Sound judgement
 Graham T 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
I agree with lou reed.
Mind you I think any of those arses off those programs should sing their own songs, that would sort out a load of them. Can't write them, - can't sing them. Would save a lot of shite on the radio too
Voice Of Reason 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
Yup another vote for Laugh-a-line Lou.
 Dom Whillans 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
Team Reed FTW!
 gethin_allen 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
I hate the way that everyone uses the song perfect day, I wonder if they'd be so keen to use it if they knew that the song is all about going and getting loaded in a park.
 MHutch 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Wasn't she supposed to be singing that to the Pope too - ironically considering what it's about?

Then again, he's allowed some pretty dire covers of it in the past - that promo for the BBC was a particular low point.
 Ireddek 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Graham T:

Totally agree & I think you should be put in charge of international broadcasting Well done Lou Reed... right I'm off to buy another of his CDs to show support!
 Dominion 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Lou Reed is a creative song writer, and a creative musician who writes and performs his own material

Susan Boyle is a karaoke singer, who is being used by Simon Cowell to make money by performing other people's songs purely for financial gain.

Perfect Day has been used as a massively successful charity song raising money for Children In Need.

Using it to promote Susan Boyle and boost Simon Cowell's bank balance is quite insulting, and Lou Reed is well within the bounds of being perfectly reasonable to prevent the song being used for commercial gain by those shites.

||-)
 icnoble 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Lou Reed is right
 Steve John B 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: I want to hear Jedward rapping over Venus in Furs.
 Dominion 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Steve John B:

> I want to hear Jedward rapping over Venus in Furs.

Bet you wouldn't want to hear it twice, though!
 Charlie_Zero 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Good decision by Lou Reed in my opinion.
 Graham T 09 Sep 2010
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I want to hear Jedward rapping over Venus in Furs.

I read that as crapping over venus in furs.
Did not produce a happy mental image
 Dominion 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Graham T:

> I read that as crapping over venus in furs.
> Did not produce a happy mental image

Think yourself lucky that you probably won't have to listen to them rapping over it, that would be even more mentally disturbing...
Hannah m 09 Sep 2010
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> I hate the way that everyone uses the song perfect day, I wonder if they'd be so keen to use it if they knew that the song is all about going and getting loaded in a park.

Don't most people know that?

It's a pretty heart-rending song to me.

It was a bit of an odd mass fund-raising choice I thought.

And isn't it best in Reed's cutting, gravely voice?

Far better than Susan Boyle singing it!

Dauphin 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Hannah m:

Welsh male voice choir anyone?

'I'm glad I spent it with you refers' to smack? I prefer the Berlin album.

I don't wish her any harm (mostly I do if it's anything to do with the purveyor of the finest Karaoke in the land) but the whole SC circus is the antithesis of anything of Lou Reed was involved with. Hats off to the man.

Regards

D
 Blue Straggler 09 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

zero out of ten
 Chris the Tall 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Dominion:
> Perfect Day has been used as a massively successful charity song raising money for Children In Need.

It should also be pointed out that the BBC is a great public service broadcaster with a long history of supporting new, challenging and avant-garde musicians.
Removed User 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: +1 to the Reedster
 David Hooper 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Lou is one of my heroes.

Cowell is partially responsible for the terrioble state of modern chart music.

This is how Perfet Day should be covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z60mCW_LEhk&feature=related
 The Bad Cough 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Yet another vote for Mr Reed.
In reply to The Lemming:

I can't figure out how she got on the show in the first place. She's British and lives in Britain, as far as I know. I thought America's Got Talent was supposed to showcase America's supposed talents.
Another vote for Lou Reed. It should be up to him to decide who get's to make a fortune from his songs.
 trouserburp 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

8/10 - you got me genuinely riled
Clauso 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick's Daughter:
>
> I can't figure out how she got on the show in the first place.

Really?
 JJL 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
Nice one - very original
 Blue Straggler 10 Sep 2010
In reply to JJL:
> Nice one - very original

There's not much original about calling Lou Reed a cock! Most of his close friends have been doing so for 45 years
 dek 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to JJL)
> [...]
>
> There's not much original about calling Lou Reed a cock! Most of his close friends have been doing so for 45 years

'Subo' could use one of them!
 toad 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Televised Karaoke. There is so much genuine talent playing and recording music, but we are just endlessly obsessed with these soulless copycats.
 daveyji 10 Sep 2010
In reply to toad: Good for Lou.
If subo was young and hot with that average voice she would be unheard of.
Lou is a genius and it's good that he has stopped great song being covered by a crap singer.
In reply to dek:

A close friend?
 jubolo 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: If a few more artists stopped reality tv shows using their music it would help the demise of such drivel on the box and subsequently, the world might be a better place for it.
In reply to jubolo:
> (In reply to The Lemming) If a few more artists stopped reality tv shows using their music it would help the demise of such drivel on the box and subsequently, the world might be a better place for it.

I think what would happen is that the songwriting factories such as The Matrix would provide unused songs or create new ones in a very generic style for the contestants to sing. Or indeed, given that they are the copyright holders for a lot of more modern pop, they'd just let people use their hit songs. Ker-chinng. No more "Hallelujah" etc (btw I thought Alexandra Burke's version was good!) but the shows would live on.

Slugain Howff 10 Sep 2010
>
> I can't figure out how she got on the show in the first place.

For the same reasons that people used to queue up to see the bearded lady
at freak shows

In reply to The Lemming:

I'm with Lou Reed on this one; it's his song and therefore his decision. I know I wouldn't want my work bastardised by just anybody, especially if I didn't like the style of that person. I also can't take anybody who affectionately refers to Susan Boyle as 'Subo' seriously in any way at all. Someone doesn't instantly become 'cool' because you give them a 'cool' nickname! "Yo dawg...you watch Subo last night?!" Get to f*ck!!!
In reply to Looking for Lucky:
>
> Someone doesn't instantly become 'cool' because you give them a 'cool' nickname!

Hasn't stopped you trying though
In reply to The Lemming:

You still get 0/10 for a particularly rubbish troll, but here's a thought...why doesn't she just pick a different song to do?

Nicely done sir!
 jubolo 10 Sep 2010
> (In reply to jubolo)
> [...]
>
> but the shows would live on.

Where's al qaeda when you need em?
 trouserburp 10 Sep 2010
In reply to jubolo:
Yes I think instead of wasting resources trying to stop terrorism they could be more effective working with terrorists to channel their bombings in a more productive direction: X Factor, traffic warden conventions, the building where tw*ts make Go Compare adverts with subtitles so you can't even mute it...
 toad 10 Sep 2010
>
> You still get 0/10 for a particularly rubbish troll, but here's a thought...why doesn't she just pick a different song to do?

It was quite telling that with 2 hours to go she didn't have time to learn another song. Surely any performer (not just people doing original material) would have more than one song in their repertoire. Even the guy with a guitar in the pub could knock out a quick American Pie if he couldn't do Perfect Day.
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> Even the guy with a guitar in the pub could knock out a quick American Pie

That's how Don wrote it isn't it? Made it up shortly before taking to the stage, in order to insult his own audience with a deliberately rubbish song.
 toad 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: nope, lost me. Sorry?
 Liam M 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Hannah m:
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
> I hate the way that everyone uses the song perfect day, I wonder if they'd be so keen to use it if they knew that the song is all about going and getting loaded in a park.
>
> Don't most people know that?
>

I thought this was a contested opinion? Whilst it's the commonly accepted interpretation of the song, I thought it's also suggested that it doesn't quite fit with his often more explicit and open drug use references, and so possibly could be interpreted differently. I guess that's a largely insoluble question though.
 trouserburp 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Liam M:
You could ask him?
In reply to The Lemming:
I've just read the comments on the yahoo news - they are hilarious, complete opposite of everyone's reaction here

One of the most influential musicians in the history of rock derided as a one-hit wonder from 30 years ago. "Where is he in the charts ?". Remind me again of Boyle's contribution - oh yes, she was the first person who can sing without the benefit of good looks, at least as far as Cowell and the other idiots were concerned
 Liam M 10 Sep 2010
In reply to trouserburp:
> (In reply to Liam M)
> You could ask him?

I think he has been asked before, but has remained aloof in his answer.
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> I've just read the comments on the yahoo news - they are hilarious,

"Subo is to big for that cheep sh1t any way up,
who is lou reed any way"
I suprised there aren't calls to burn all his records along with copies of the Koran...

Oh hold on, there are...
 Siward 10 Sep 2010
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I want to hear Jedward rapping over Venus in Furs.

I want to hear Jedward beling slowly dismembered to the sound of Sister Ray
 Rob Naylor 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm with the pro-Reed faction here.

I'll support anyone who wants to stop Cowell's karaoke circus from piggy-backing off their creativity.
 Patrik 10 Sep 2010
If she had any guts, she would have asked him a permission to sing "Heroin".
 Arcticboy 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

How is it under that bridge?
 Choss Weasel 10 Sep 2010
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yeah totally! I hated that BBC cover version.
 Bulls Crack 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Naylor:
>
> I'm with the pro-Reed faction here.
>
> I'll support anyone who wants to stop Cowell's karaoke circus from piggy-backing off their creativity.

Well put that man!
 Dominion 10 Sep 2010

> I can't figure out how she got on the show in the first place. She's British and lives in Britain, as far as I know. I thought America's Got Talent was supposed to showcase America's supposed talents.

It's about selling advertising space on TV programs. Susan Boyle became an advertiser's dream ticket when she became a youtube runaway success story, and then went on to have a number one US album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Boyle#Studio_albums

as well as other places all over the world.

She is a commercial success for her record company, and a sure way to get advertisers to pay money for having their commercials aired on tv shows where she makes an appearance.

And that is her "real" value.

It's a promotional value, it's about selling advertising, the show is not about being a showcase for America's talent, it's about maximising advertsing revenue from tv channels that show Simon Cowell's karaoke artists.

Sorry

||-)
 Micky J 10 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Let the old growler murder it i say . It isnt even one of Lou's best songs .
 Dominion 10 Sep 2010
In reply to death drop:

How about Lou Reeds says "Donate all advertising revenue from the TV show in which Susan Boyle sings Perfect Day to charity"?

And then they'd be responsible for them not having her on the show singing it...
 Choss Weasel 10 Sep 2010
In reply to death drop:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Let the old growler murder it i say . It isnt even one of Lou's best songs .

You have a point. It aint up there with any of the tracks from 'Berlin' or the Velvet Underground stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...