UKC

Matterhorn - Carrel route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cariva 09 Sep 2010
Hey everyone,

After a wonderful week in the MB masssif(got several good tips from here), I will definitely need my boys once again!!!!

Does anybody out there know about the italian side of Matterhorn, the carrel route? General conditions, snow/ice along the route, carrel hut's conditions(if it's geared up), etc....

I got this friend insisting for a weekend shot on that one and I just cannot let him down...

THANK YOU ALL in advance!

Cariva
 Conan 10 Sep 2010
In reply to cariva:

Not sure about current conditions as its been a month since I was up there.

Hut is equiped with gas stoves with gas supply. Plenty of pans and a few plates, mugs, bowls cutlery etc.

Also good supply of blankets. Hut slippers are very limited so worth bringing lightweight sandals.
 stevev 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Conan: i was up there last Friday. The hut description is as described by Conan.

Walk-in to the hut is quite a way, 5 hours from plan maison for us. Pulling up on the ropes is hard work, get some training n gym ropes

Toilet is very bad.

Route last Friday was good, although lots of people seemed to be taking a long time up there. I was ill so didn't go above the carrel hut, but one of our guides went up. He reported good conditions. He was up and down in less than 4 hours, including 20min chat on top.

When we arrived on Thursday there were people still descending to hut at 9pm, after a 6am start, and they hadn't made the summit. The first part is supposed to be difficult to route find in the dark.

Since then I think they had a lot of snow so maybe not so good now.
 stevev 10 Sep 2010
In reply to stevev: this is the view of the italian side
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/webcam_cervinio

to me it looks snowier than last week.
 jon 10 Sep 2010
In reply to stevev:

> I was ill so didn't go above the carrel hut,

That's a shame. It'll still be there next year.

> When we arrived on Thursday there were people still descending to hut at 9pm, after a 6am start, and they hadn't made the summit.

Incredible, isn't it! How do they do it?

> Since then I think they had a lot of snow so maybe not so good now.

Certainly been very cold in the Chamonix Aigs Rouges today. Looking across at the massif, the seemed to be a fair amount of snow above 2500m.

cariva 16 Sep 2010
In reply to cariva:
Hey everyone. Last call on conditions...heading to cervinia tomorrow. Any news?

Thanks
graham F 16 Sep 2010
In reply to cariva: I was at the Hornli hut this morning - snowing hard and very windy early on, so we walked down. Later it cleared but the Matterhorn was white, and the forecast isn't good for the next few days.
graham F 16 Sep 2010
In reply to graham F: 2 guided teams tried the Hornli route yesterday but turned back in high winds. Crampons on low down - for the first fixed rope - then dry, but crampons again from the site of the old hut.
 alec roberts 17 Sep 2010
In reply to cariva:
Hi Cariva
We're heading out tomorrow as well - current webcam doesn't look encouraging : http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/webcam_cervinio
but the forecast surface pressure charts shows a build up pressure for the next few days, so we're still optimistic ! Good luck !
 stevev 17 Sep 2010
In reply to alec roberts:
That webcam looks ok, no snow on the ridge. The ridge really starts at the sharp V col down the left skyline form the summit.

Are you going up from Cervinia? The lift is shut

you can get a 4x4 taxi to the bottom hut but I think it costs quite a bit.
cariva 17 Sep 2010
In reply to stevev: on my way! How much is that? (the taxi)
 stevev 17 Sep 2010
>> on my way! How much is that? (the taxi)
no idea we took the lift
 chris74 19 Sep 2010
In reply to cariva: i`m not having for one second that u are considering the MAT. Hut conditions? don`t talk shite....
cariva 20 Sep 2010
In reply to w1ganchris:
You know, the very only thing I asked here were tips on the carrel route of the Matterhorn.
I have never asked no one's opinion on how they perceive my projects, wishlist, whatsoever.

I really have no idea on what compells this kind of LOOSER to get out of their way to talk shit about somebody else's life.

What I really know is that this sort of "courage" usually appears behind computer screens. NEVER in person.

Anyway....you bitterness does not belong to here!
Here is a place where people share dreams and get suggestions on how to pursue those dreams.
Take that anger and your looser-feeling somewhere else or shav that somewhere so that you can keep that to yourself.

I apologise with the community for the harsh words!!!(but assholes need to be treated as assholes!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...