UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Bosigran - Cornwall's Granite Beauty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Sep 2010
Kafoozeled, 4 kbMagnificent rock, superb routes, perfect seaside ambience, a great holiday atmosphere and usually better weather than the rest of the country combine to give Cornwall's premier climbing destination - Bosigran.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2971
 Andy2 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Several mistakes in this article:
"Grendel" not "Gwendel"
Several routes given arbitrary grades - Thin Wall Special, Anvil Chorus, etc.
It's worth mentioning that the area from Zig-Zig leftwards can be very damp until late in the day, even during dry weather.
Parts of the Great Zawn get plenty of sun, e.g. the headwall (Omen etc).
Gear can be bought in Helston (Outback Trading?) or limited supplies of chalk etc at Trevaylor campsite.
The Gurnards Head is hardly a climbers' pub any more.
 Kafoozalem 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

You were up late! Great article Mark about one of the treasures of UK climbing. Let the grade debate begin! I for one feel that most of the "great" VS's in Cornwall are HVS. Thin Wall Special E2 - hmmm maybe. Dominator E3 - not for me. Anyhows - wherever you live Cornwall is well worth the drive.
In reply to Andy2:

Thanks. Corrections now added.

Alan
 HappyTrundler 10 Sep 2010

Undoubtedly a great crag, setting, non tidal, approach, amenable...the only possible comment I would make is that there isn't a lot of routes around the HVS / E1 range. Lots of great stuff up to VS, lots of quality routes E2 upward, not a lot in between...
 neilh 10 Sep 2010
Is this just not a reprint of an article done in Climber a few years ago.............
In reply to HappyTrundler:
> ...the only possible comment I would make is that there isn't a lot of routes around the HVS / E1 range.

Thin Wall, Visions on Johanna, Suicide Wall, Variety Show, Paragon .... all pretty good routes, but it is really good in the E2 to E4/5 range.

Alan
In reply to neilh: Hi Neil

A lot of the text is a re edit plus additional stuff on Great Zawn and new pics plus a bit of extra info on logistics etc. BTW that spot in Helston - does it sell much kit? I know you have visited?

Down your way in a few weeks

Cheers

Mark

Frank Cannings 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

Hi Mark

Congratulations on "West Country Climbs", an inspiring collection of just a few of the many great rock climbs in the West Country. The ones you missed will now be spared from over-attention and polished holds.

I'm not quite sure where it fits in between the standard sized guidebook holder and "coffee table". In between - not on the crag nor the coffee table either. It's the last thing I'd want hanging from my harness on Dreadnought, Liberator or Desolation Row. I recently copied several pages on my printer to take on routes, and I expect most will do this - so cannot a secure way be devised for subscribers to download the pages online?

hdog76 10 Sep 2010

awesome photos.. i have spent many days at this awesome gem of a crag, a must for any VS climber so much to cut your teeth on, great place great adventures miss it alot and the folks that have shared the experiance.

Cant wait to go back!!!

p.s forget the grade debate enjoy the climbing. The place gives off a vibe which will make you push your climbing to the next level.
 Rampikino 10 Sep 2010

It took me 18 years to finally visit Bosigran, and I regret it taking that long. Magnificent crag.

Nice article.
In reply to Frank Cannings:
> I'm not quite sure where it fits in between the standard sized guidebook holder and "coffee table". In between - not on the crag nor the coffee table either. It's the last thing I'd want hanging from my harness on Dreadnought, Liberator or Desolation Row. I recently copied several pages on my printer to take on routes, and I expect most will do this - so cannot a secure way be devised for subscribers to download the pages online?

Hi Frank

We are working on some different ideas for allowing people to download pages from the book for printing out. It needs quite a bit of technical work though so it may be a while before we come up with anything.

Alan
 Frank Cannings 10 Sep 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
> We are working on some different ideas for allowing people to download pages from the book for printing out. It needs quite a bit of technical work though so it may be a while before we come up with anything.

Hi Alan
Many thanks for your reply. I can see the commercial difficulty; how to prevent widespread unauthorised copying from a single download? The music and software industries are still seaching for a solution.
Regards Frank
 zach.stone 10 Sep 2010
Awesome Mark! Hopefully see you out west sometime
 Kafoozalem 11 Sep 2010
In reply to Frank Cannings:

Not a perfect solution, but I have sometimes photographed pages on a digital camera and taken the camera on the route. It is sustantially lighter than the guide but can be hard to read.
 TimmyG 15 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: I was trying to work out where the climbers on Bow Wall are. Looks like they're belayed in the middle of the crux slab traverse?
 Si dH 16 Sep 2010
In reply to tmg:
They have done the crux traverse and for some reason belayed just before the rock up on to the normal belay point above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...