UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Mallorcan Mankini

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Sep 2010
Mallorcan Mankin video image, 4 kbUKC editor Jack Geldard has been sunning himself in Mallorca all week, getting in some deep water soloing. At Cala Sa Nau the team attempted Bandito (7c+) but extraordinary tactics were called for before someone topped out.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57754
EasyAndy 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: disturbing
 Enty 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Please tell me that Ady's sunnies were part of the piss-take?

E
 geddicakes 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Pretty grim.
 royal 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Haha brilliant!
 Wee Davie 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I'm just grateful the camera angle was from the side.
 Brendan 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Not one to watch in HD.
kingie52 11 Sep 2010
Is this a dig at a Mr James Pearson whom has also done the Mankini? If not a dig, it would have been funny about 3yrs ago!
 Sam Mayfield 11 Sep 2010
In reply to kingie52:

I have photos of about 9 blokes in mankinis all showing their bums. It was on the Costa Blanca DWS fest 2 years ago!

Scary images which I would not wish on anyone!

Sam Orange
 Kafoozalem 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I just choked on my cornflakes.
 chalkyjim 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Is there anyway the videos could be put on with an iPhone friendly format?
 BigBrother 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: I see climbers in these dws videos wearing chalk bags. Surely they get ruined every time they fall off? Do they take a rucksack full of chalkbags to the cliff and change each time and then dry them all out or do they use something other than chalk?
 Wee Davie 12 Sep 2010
In reply to BigBrother:

Yep.
Chalk + water = ruined chalk
There are ways of dealing with it though.
One way is to not take a chalk bag and chalk up heavily on your forearms so you have something to dab mid- ascent.
Another and better option we have come up with here is the duct tape chalk bag.
They're not hard to make, they're water resistant- so you can dry them off quickly with a towel- and they're cheap as chips.
One roll of duct tape costs a few quid and all you need above that is something to stiffen the opening (a loop of plastic tubing from your local DIY shop) and some string/ cord to hang it off you.
You can make about 5 or more chalkbags from one decent roll of duct tape.
 Adam Lincoln 12 Sep 2010
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
>
> Yep.
> Chalk + water = ruined chalk
> There are ways of dealing with it though.
> One way is to not take a chalk bag and chalk up heavily on your forearms so you have something to dab mid- ascent.
> Another and better option we have come up with here is the duct tape chalk bag.
> They're not hard to make, they're water resistant- so you can dry them off quickly with a towel- and they're cheap as chips.
> One roll of duct tape costs a few quid and all you need above that is something to stiffen the opening (a loop of plastic tubing from your local DIY shop) and some string/ cord to hang it off you.
> You can make about 5 or more chalkbags from one decent roll of duct tape.

Or even simpler. Put sandwich bags in chalkbag with a little chalk. If you fall in use a new sandwich bag. Folded over the top, you won't get wet hands even after chalkbag has been in water.
 Wee Davie 12 Sep 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Sounds good as long as the sandwich bags don't slip off the top. I reckon there is a small market for PVC chalkbags.
I own one of the Malhamba (now out of business?) ones in Pertex but it isn't that practical as you still have to dry it off after a fall.
The duct tape idea has proved pretty good over the last few months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...