UKC

Lancaster University Climbing Club Log Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Claireee 10 Sep 2010
So we (current members) recently got our hands on a log book kept throughout 1960's-80's giving a fantastic glimpse into the history of the club. It'd be really cool to rekindle some connections, see where some of our founding members dissappeared too and who if anyone is still climbing.

Some things never change...

"went to borrowdale, it rained", "theres climbers and mountaineers in this club we should match the activities accordingly", I thought the dinner weekend was good fun even though I didn't do any climbing- neither did a lot of people, Margret knocked herself out, Micky Butler tried to beat Dave and a few other people in to pieces of pulp and generally people got drunk and had a good time"

UKC seems like a good place to start, anyone got any suggestions, names or contacts for old members? The Thursday social is a well recieved trend that still remains, members (new and old) are more than welcome at all times... no idea where the carpenters arms is though!

LUMC
 andy 11 Sep 2010
In reply to Claireee: I was never at Lancaster uni but I was at school there, as was Neil Foster who posts on here occasionally - we were knocking about with some of the uni lot about 1979-81 - Graham Derbyshire posts here now and again.. The Carps was at the bottom of the hill where you turn left off the one way system onto the quay. A marvellously grotty boozer run by Malcolm with his elastoplasted glasses. A favourite hangout for LRGS pupils to gonunder-aged drinking.
 Hammy 11 Sep 2010
In reply to Claireee: I was in LUMC from 1979 - 1982 and I think I was the treasurer for a while. Still climbing and loving it. I'm vaguely in touch with quite a few folks from then. It'd be fun to have read of our exploits back in those days, but I can't remember how much of it would have been written up - you could always pick out any interesting incidents from that time (if there were any!) to see if they ring any bells.

I'm the person that Andy refers to in the post above.

Graham D.
 Milesy 11 Sep 2010
Reading the SMC journals from the victorian times is very familiar but different at the same time.
 stewieatb 11 Sep 2010
In reply to andy:

Good Lord. Perchance did you know my uncle - Simon Hudson-Lund? Used to climb in the area and went to LRGS, I'm now in the U6th there. You may also be interested to know that Shaun Higgins retired this summer and will be missed.
 andy 12 Sep 2010
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Good Lord. Perchance did you know my uncle - Simon Hudson-Lund? Used to climb in the area and went to LRGS, I'm now in the U6th there. You may also be interested to know that Shaun Higgins retired this summer and will be missed.

Yep, vaguely remember him - think he was in the year above Neil and I. I still get my OL's newsletter/begging letter and got invited to a dinner for Sean H and (I think) Brian Bonney this summer. I'd pretty much given up on rugby by the time I got to the 6th form as they'd started offering climbing as a games option. I suspect it'd be unthinkable now but we used to go new routing in Warton Main whilst Bandy Barrett took the beginners in warton small. Can't imagine trundling huge boulders and running it out on loose rock would be acceptable under current H&S regulations...
 carl dawson 12 Sep 2010
Was there 1968-1971 (Treasurer, possibly); still climbing lots.

I remember: lots of wet meets (usually Doris' Route in horizontal February rain); lots of rumaging around in the Warton/Silverdale foothills looking for the elusive undiscovered major venue (and walking past Woodwell and ignoring it); trying to repeat Bill Lounds' testpieces; a little bit of (friendly) rivalry with the town climbing club etc etc

Carl

PS If you find anything untoward/illegal/financially incriminating in The Diaries, please lose that page. Thanks.

Leo Woodfelder 12 Sep 2010
In reply to Claireee: The Carpenters arms was the original name of the Three Mariners pub at the top end of St Georges Quay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...