UKC

mountaineering boot resoles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
valjean 19 Sep 2010
has anyone ever gotten mountaineering boots (either, plastics like koflachs or leathers like nepals) resoled? if so, what was the cost and what was it like afterwards?
 Paul Bowen 19 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean:

I had my nepal extremes re soled 2 summers ago... that was by Mike The Blue Light in Sisteron France was €34 2 brand new vibram soles excellent job

in this country try the 2 that are mentioned on here most chesire shoe repairs or feet first not sure of the cost
 summitjunkie 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Paul Bowen:
> in this country try the 2 that are mentioned on here most chesire shoe repairs or feet first not sure of the cost

Not sure about Cheshire Shoe Repairs but there's a Lancashire Sports Repairs in Burnley who, depending on the sole you're replacing, are very good:

http://www.lsr.gb.com/

Couldn't replace my Vibram Mulaz soles last time though!
 walts4 19 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean:

Had my 5.10 approach shoes resoled at feet first last year with an vibram sole, very impressed with the work, although cannot remember the cost.

In addition had a pair of evos & a another pair of sportiva resoled with vibrams this year in Chamonix, approx 50 euros a time but totally like new boots again.
 The Lemming 19 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean:

I had my Nepal Extreme boots re-soled 2 years ago by Feet First. I had to wait a few months for the correct LaSportiva soles, this was not Feet First's fault but an issue with the supplier in Italy. They don't tent to be that helpful in sending put spares to places that mend boots.

The boots were repaired, and simply put, were as good as new. The fit, shape of the boot and feel when wearing them was perfect for me in every respect. Not bad for a 13 year old pair of boots.

The cost of repairing the complete base unit and postage was around £100, give or minus a little change for the postage. I've used Feet First before for re-soling climbing shoes but had reservations about getting leather boots done because I heard and read horror stories of boots either leaking, becoming deformed in the process or a combination of both. This never happened.

I can't rate Feet First highly enough. And if my personal testimony isn't enough, who do you think repairs boots for the UK Distributor of La Sportiva boots?

I'll give you one guess, and it starts with Feet First.

Flashy 19 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean: A friend had his Nepal's soles replaced by Feet First and one of them delaminated after a couple of days. I've heard similar stories from other people.

However, I've had my Nepals resoled by them twice with no problems. The work they have done has been great -- even when I wore off the crampon bails at the front they replaced them and the boots were as good as the day I bought them. Other friends are similarly as happy as with Feet First; I get the impression they have a lot of happy customers but obviously with so many boots passing through their hands there are going to be one or two cases where for some reason the repair didn't work out right.
valjean 20 Sep 2010
they can repair the front toe bails/welt? really, i always thought that was part of the shell. i assume that only applies to the leather boots and not plastic boots
 Flashy 20 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean: I think they just put a new bit of plastic on the front. I'd be very surprised if they can replace the welt as you'd need the last for that.
 Monkeyrock 21 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean: Had my Nepali's done by feet first 2 years ago and they did a great job. However they wouldn't give me any guarantee that they wouldn't de-laminate as apparently they have had some problems doing Nepali's. Mine are still going strong though
 Ian.Hogg 21 Sep 2010
In reply to valjean: Had some scarpa vega plastics resoled a couple of years ago, by feet first I think. Cost was around £60 with P&P another £8. Made a really good job with replacement vibram soles.
 gammarus 25 Sep 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

You're right about Feet First. Superb quality and excellent service.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...