UKC

NEWS: Pete Whittaker Kicks Off The Grit Season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Sep 2010
Pete Whittaker on his new route Common Misconception (E6 6c) at Stanage, 3 kbTwo hard new routes in quick succession have marked the start of this year's 'Grit Season' for Pete Whittaker.

First on Pete's ticklist was the bold left arete of the Hawkwing buttress on the lower tier of The Roaches...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57983

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant effort on both counts!

Chris

PS One of those Stanage shots would make a great front cover for the next Eastern Grit!
 grubes 24 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Great effort. Well done Pete!

I like the name too
I think people think that there is nothing left to do on grit), whereas, yes, I suppose it is nearly worked out, but I think you just have to look (maybe climb) harder.

I have seen two first ascents this year on grit an E1 and a E1/2. I know of a few other first ascents that will be done soon.

There is definately stuff to do on grit you just have to know where to look.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Sep 2010
In reply to grubes:
I have seen 4 first ascents on grit this year so far - an E1/2, two VS and a VDiff, and know of 2 more lines that should go shortly (one about VDiff, the other possibly E2). So yes, you just have to know where to look
 Franco Cookson 24 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Bon effort. They look like cool routes too.
 gethin_allen 24 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I think I must have seen Pete practising the moves on common misconception, I was looking at doing tower face or tower crack but had avoided the area because I wasn't sure if the Ring Ouzels were still about. Probably just as well as I doubt having some punter messing about nearby helps with the concentration when you are trying to sort out the moves on an E6 6c.
 Tom Last 24 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

'Goldcrest', I like it, imagine they're fairly common amongst the pines at the Roaches. Good name.
Ackbar 25 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: I am continuously suprised by the quality of these routes. What is his first ascent list now on grit?

Braille trail direct - Burbage South
Grandpa Slab - Burbage South
That arete at Froggatt
Two routes just right of Kaluza Klein(?)
The traverse on the Cioch at Burbage South
Something at Kinder
Common Misconception
Gold Crest

Anymore
 Rob15 25 Sep 2010
In reply to Ackbar: dynamics of change
Wiley Coyote2 25 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I think I have some pix of someone working the route on Sept 9. I'd gone for a mid-week walk because I needed some generic shots of climbers on Stanage. They happened to be the first people I came to walking up from Stanage Pole. I just hosed down a guy who was top roping what looks like the same line. Hard to say if it was Pete, tho the chalk bag and keks look the same, or whether there was a race for the line.
 Michael Gordon 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Ackbar:

He's done loads. Off the top of my head there's also Last Arete (Stanage) and Remastered Edge (Millstone).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...