UKC

NEW ARTICLE: PHOTOS/VIDEO: Leo Houlding and Conrad Anker on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 27 Sep 2010
THE WILDEST DREAM FEATURE FILM OPENS ACROSS THE UK FROM 24 SEPTEMBER 2010 #1, 4 kbThe Wildest Dream has opened in IMAX theatres and cinemas across the UK. The film retraces British explorer George Mallory's final attempt to reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1924 and become the first person to conquer the world's highest peak.

Dressed in gabardine and wearing hobnailed boots, Mallory risked everything in pursuit of his dream. He was last seen alive just 800 feet below the mountain's peak, before the clouds closed in and he disappeared into legend...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3039

JFort 27 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

Anyone really excited about this?
Would you go to see it in your local cinema?
 Sam Edwards 27 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: really want to go and see this but it is showing in so few cinemas.
 Lurkio 27 Sep 2010
In reply to JFort:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Anyone really excited about this?
> Would you go to see it in your local cinema?

Not excited exactly. Interested, yes. We went to see it last Friday in Sheffield. Opening night, and there were only about 20 people in to see it. Maybe more people went to one of the IMAX venues?

hokkyokusei 28 Sep 2010
In reply to JFort:

I'd go and see it, but it's not on.
 ahaynes 28 Sep 2010
Watched the trailer......and I hope that's not really Mallory's body where they're filming the guy "discovering" it ==> it would seem rather disrespectful. Just bury the guy rather than picking him clean and filming it. I really want to seem the film, but won't if this is the case.
Andy
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2010
In reply to ahaynes:

I'm pretty sure that will be actual footage of when they found his body as it was part of an expedition specifically to do that. To be fair, I suppose that from a "scientific" perspective they did need to record everything - almost in an archaeologic fashion, so far as you can at close to 8,000m. I recall some people did have a problem with this at the time mind and some thought it a little too commercially driven. I am not 100% sure but I seem to recall reading that they brought back artefacts and clothing fragments but buried the body. It's more than many bodies get at that altitude I suppose.
 Stuart Wildman 28 Sep 2010
In reply to JFort:
I tend to get my movies from the internet nowadays, but I went to the IMAX in london last night.

Really good film, good story and well told.
Conrad makes it look easy. I was feeling crap on Kili and there he is leading a scramble/climb near the top of everest..

The IMAX is amazing, the screen is so huge. It was over half full I'd say.
Worth booking for a good seat,

The bonus is you can take your beer in with you.
brian cropper 28 Sep 2010
In reply to JFort: no
brian cropper 28 Sep 2010
In reply to ahaynes: very disrespectful but there is cash on that hill
 Tdubs 28 Sep 2010
In reply to JonC:
Unfortunately not what I heard. I seem to recall reading about Conrad Anker cutting chunks of Mallorys flesh for 'testing', taking lots of gruesome photographs of his stripped body to sell, among other fairly morbid and disrespectful things. I could be wrong of course.
But as you say, I remember some people did have a problem with it, including his descendants.
The Wildest Dream 28 Sep 2010
In reply to ahaynes:

Hi Andy,

Out of respect for George Mallory and in accordance with the wishes of his family, ‘The Wildest Dream’ does not include any footage or still photographs of Mallory’s body obtained during the 1999 expedition when Mallory’s body was found on Everest. Instead, the film covers the discovery of Mallory’s body through the use of dramatized sequences, consistent with the style of the film.

If you do get to see the film we really hope that you enjoy it!

From,
'The Wildest Dream'
gingerclimber 28 Sep 2010
Went to see it on Sunday night at the IMAX cinema in Manchester - there were 6 of us in there!
Great cinematography, especially on such a large screen.
I just thought that some of the scenes were a little too contrived, and not wanting to take anythng away form Conrad's climbing ability but he didn't attempt the Second Step in exactly the same conditions that Mallory would have done.
But an enjoyable night out for those of us who will never get to those heights ourselves!
 Damo 28 Sep 2010

In the short I saw, Conrad was in a yellow suit, white hat, no O2, approaching a 'body'.

At the time he actually found the body, he was wearing a red suit and was on O2, and was not being filmed - the reason he found the body and others didn't is he went off on his own to another area. A quick Google and image comparison will show a clear difference - it's not footage of the original 'find'.

Which also means that in reality he's not moving around so easily at that height on Everest without O2.

It's the movies, it's make-believe. Like Bear Grylls ...

D
 Simon Caldwell 29 Sep 2010
In reply to JFort:
> Anyone really excited about this?

No

> Would you go to see it in your local cinema?

Definitely. Unfortunately the closest venue is almost 2 hours away
In reply to Toreador:

went to see it today at the manchester printworks IMAX. I thought it was a genuinely interesting film.

Must have been no more than 12 people there and we were 5 of them!! Its not really a film with cross demographic interest... it should be but its just not.
 nightmonkeyuk 04 Oct 2010
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
Second that, i was one of the 12 + girlfriend who isnt a climber.
I thought it was an excellent film. Stunning way to see Everest on the big IMAX screen and the emotion and passion really came accross. Finally - something produced about Everest that isnt slagging it all off. Made a change.
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:

You wonder why Man on Wire.... come on, more people know stuff about Mallory and Everest than about covert Tightrope walking... caught the imagination and interest of wider audiences but this film hasn't (so far...early days)
 nightmonkeyuk 04 Oct 2010
America....twin towers....pre-9/11....a frenchman that didnt surrender....a heady combination of excitement for the prols.

It was a good film though (Man on wire), i think the guy's entheusiasm and passion carried it a long way.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2010
Man on Wire got a wide release, this one is only being shown in a handful of cinemas.
In reply to Toreador:

Oh sorry, I thought MoW got a wide release after being raved about.

Don't get me wrong MoW was a great film but managed to get the cross section appeal that this hasn't so far stimulated
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2010

Maybe it did, by the time it had got to our local "independent" it was also being shown at the multiplex. It may well have had a more restricted release it reached either.

I want to see the Wildest Dream but it currently requires almost a 2-hour drive each way
 kevtoo04 13 Oct 2010
Went to see the film last night (Apollo - Piccadilly Circus). Thought it was an interesting and well produced film, and as a number of people had said, stunning cinematography. I read the book first. The second step footage is "live" and altho he used "modern" pro, I think you can forgive that. He still makes climbing at 28-odd thousand feet look easy (the slip aside!!). Also a great "intro" of Leo, doing a lovely solo at Stanage. Trying to recall which route it is- Flying Buttress Direct?
I think there is a lot of "climbing specific" detail in the book which is missing in the film- probably to try and appeal to a wider audience than us lot... If you've seen the film, it is worth reading the book as well. Anker does try to explain more of the background to the exped to find Mallory's body and I believe he did try to do what he thought was the right thing at the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...