UKC

Font new guidebooks etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
David A-J 01 Oct 2010
Just back from a mega long trip in the forest and been using a couple of the new guidebooks on the market. The new German one from Panico is ideal for anyone who speaks german and likes rough guides - same sort of format with stacks of text and useful info - handy for short climbers to reach the starting holds. As a guidebook, seems to have made a real dent in the French market, but have seen most users rushing out to buy the other books are experiencing location diffiiculties !!!! Plus it is hopelessly out of date. The topos also seem rather similar to some of the old Cosiroc ones and contain the same intended mistakes to show up copying!!!. The opposite is the new Jacky Godoffe book, Font a bloc-1. This is part of a 3 volume series to the whole of Font, and will replace all of the other 7+8 guides etc since it is a superb photo topo, and Jacky does know his stuff. Sure there are a few errors, but nothing in comparrison with many books. If you climb font 6b/(V6) and above, I would reccomend Jacky's book at the moment. With 8 other books in production, things may change of course!!!
Seen quite a few folk with the phone app - proving quite popular. Using the app to actually find a problem at present is a no no - not a chance. I know of 4 apps in production, and 2 are going to be non apple and free to use, which should be handy for all.
 chalkyjim 01 Oct 2010
In reply to David A-J:
I met jingo from jingo wobbly in font and they are doing a total comprehensive guide to font so that will be worth buying.
In reply to chalkyjim:
> (In reply to David A-J)
> I met jingo from jingo wobbly in font and they are doing a total comprehensive guide to font so that will be worth buying.

Really? None of the Jingo Wobbly guides I have seen are any good, the Font one is especially woeful. So why will a definitive guide be better? Plus if it's "totally comprehensive" it'll have well over 20,000 problems it'll be far too big to use.
 Lhod 02 Oct 2010
In reply to chalkyjim:
> I met jingo from jingo wobbly in font and they are doing a total comprehensive guide to font so that will be worth buying.

A jingo wobbly guide that's worth buying? Sounds pretty unlikely to me. But then he would tell you that wouldn't he...
Serpico 02 Oct 2010
In reply to chalkyjim:

JW generally have good photos but make totally incomprehensible guides.
 JLS 02 Oct 2010
In reply to Serpico:

I recon the jw has the best maps of all the font guides. It is a guide to easy circuits and as such is useless for directing you towards hard project style bouldering but it's great for it's intended use. I use it a lot for finding my way to areas in preference to the Os style map or any of the other guides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...