UKC

f8a in 30 years of climbing. Punter or Athlete?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 02 Oct 2010
I believe that I am getting very close to achieving my intermediate term training objective of climbing f8a in 30 years. (Obviously if, when I had youth in my favour, I had also had Ratho in my favour, I would have achieved this objective within the bog standard 3 years for today's average young performer).
I think it is fair to say that this achievement will put me on the Punter to Athlete scale somewhere in between a top-roping bumblie at Stanage and Adam Ondra. So, all you UKC arbiters of elitist appellation, Punter or Athlete?
 hexcentric 02 Oct 2010
In reply to Robert Durran:
Robert.
I have seen you in your shorts.
Athlete.
Serpico 02 Oct 2010
Punter.
 jon 02 Oct 2010

Wow Rob. That's fantastic! You are an athlete. Now, if that's intermediate... what's the ultimate?
 Quarryboy 02 Oct 2010
in 1980 athlete

in 2010 punter
OP Robert Durran 02 Oct 2010
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Wow Rob. That's fantastic! You are an athlete. Now, if that's intermediate... what's the ultimate?

E6 onsight.
Or, failing that, 8a+ in 60 years.

jon 02 Oct 2010

E6 onsight is a lot easier... oh shit............
 Quarryboy 02 Oct 2010

I will be happy if I get to E5 and 8a in 30 years I have been climbing 2/3 years and E2 and f7a are at my limit so far although I feel like I haven't improved in ages
 Michael Gordon 02 Oct 2010

In climbing everyone is a punter.
 Fiend 02 Oct 2010

Number chasing, therefore solely an athlete and not a climber.
 Jamie B 02 Oct 2010

Tricky one; you've achieved a very high grade, but it's taken you a bugger of a long time to get there.

I reckon you're a Puntlete.
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
>
> Tricky one; you've achieved a very high grade, but it's taken you a bugger of a long time to get there.

Actually not achieved it yet.....!
But I have done one or two other things in the intervening 30 years.

In reply to Fiend:
>
> Number chasing, therefore solely an athlete and not a climber.

Not even a climber! Surely some punters chase at least small numbers?

sort of half way between an punter and an athlete. Since 8a is a path, I guess you're a pathlete.

In all seriousli-nous though; it makes you a good climber; hope you manage it soon!

mark mcgowan01 02 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Fiend)
> [...]
>
> Not even a climber! Surely some punters chase at least small numbers?

quite right Rob! ..yeh Fiend..'easy trad' chaser!

In reply to jon:
>
> E6 onsight is a lot easier... oh shit............

Oh shit indeed! You mean I have wasted all this effort and time trying to get strong enough to do well protected steep E6 (you wouldn't catch me on a slab or a scary one).

Andy Farnell 03 Oct 2010
In reply to Robert Durran: Well seeing as there's at least 2 60+ year olds leading 8a in the UK, and you're only a youth in comparison, I'd say that your were indeed somewhere between a punter and an athlete.

Andy F
OP Robert Durran 03 Oct 2010
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Well seeing as there's at least 2 60+ year olds leading 8a in the UK, and you're only a youth in comparison, I'd say that your were indeed somewhere between a punter and an athlete.

So does one have to do one's first 8a either below a certain cut off age (say 18) or above another cut off age (say 55) to qualify for athlete status? I would agree that these days if you start training seriously in your teens and havn't done 8a by a third cut off age (say 25) then you almost certainly qualify for untalented or undedicated punter status!
 Andy Farnell 03 Oct 2010
In reply to Robert Durran: I'd say that 8a qualifies you as an intermediate level punter. You're not an athlete until you've onsighted 9a. In carpet slippers. And boxing gloves. Blindfold.

Andy F
OP Robert Durran 03 Oct 2010
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)You're not an athlete until you've onsighted 9a. In carpet slippers. And boxing gloves. Blindfold.

Wow! Has Adam Ondra actually done that? I must have missed it on the "Low Down" (Bjorn probably referred to him by some cliquey nickname, so that only the in crowd would pick up on it).
 Chris F 03 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Athlunter?
 sheppy 03 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:
Thats a spot on answer, sorry Rob.
 Mike Stretford 03 Oct 2010
In reply to Robert Durran: I reckon you're a pretty good climber. I don't know if you're a punter or not, you're recreational proclivities are your own business.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...