UKC

Nottingham Climbing Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tga62 12 Oct 2010
Hi, Does anyone know what is happening at the Nottingham Wall. The new wall opened for a short time but wasn't quite finished. I went there for a short boldering session the other day and it was closed and a notice on the door saying that is was closed until further notice without saying why. Can anyone shed any light on why its closed and when it will reopen again.
 bz 12 Oct 2010
Don't know why it closed exactly - but there were large steel components to be installed on the head wall so maybe that was it.

Apparently it will be open later this week or at the weekend
 crozzly 12 Oct 2010
In reply to tga62: Wasnt quite finished is a bit of an understatement ! Heard that there was construction work required, hopefully they are trying to get loads of other things finished whilst it is closed.

Could do with an update from themselves though.
 Budge 12 Oct 2010
In reply to tga62:

I had heard that they hoped to be open on Thursday but this was far from definate. I would give them a phone to check before you go again.

I hope its soon as my fingertips cant take much more of Terrace Wall (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2897)
 phatlad 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Budge:
Sadly due to the steel suppliers being somewhat inaccurate with their measuring stick the wall is slightly delayed with opening (again) shouldn't be long now though! Fingers crossed.
The main wall is panelled the majority of the side walls are similarly panelled.
be reassurred the Grades will be exactly the same though
tga62 13 Oct 2010
In reply to phatlad: That sounds good. I was starting to think that there has been some major fowlup as to the construction of the new wall because when you look at it there seems to be far too much steel for just an ordinary climbing wall. Much more than I've seen at other walls. It does look though, that when it is finished it will be an improvement on the previous wall. Hope it will reopen soon
 campag 13 Oct 2010
In reply to tga62:

The word on the street is that the place was (allegedly) condemned by the hse. (Allegedly) closed down until they can appoint professionals to erect the walls legally/safely.

hoodmonkey 15 Oct 2010
In reply to campag:
> (In reply to tga62)
>
> The word on the street is that the place was (allegedly) condemned by the hse. (Allegedly) closed down until they can appoint professionals to erect the walls legally/safely.

Seems a bit unfair to perpetuate unsubstantiated rumours!

I for one have every confidence the wall will be open again soon and am looking forward to it!
 Offwidth 15 Oct 2010
In reply to campag: There are many words on many streets and only a mug would pay credance to most of these without checking them first, let alone post unsubstantiated rumours on a public website. I know a lot of hard work is going on to finish the remining construction phase using the same keen people: one I met last night had finished work at 9:00 pm.
Whilst it's admirable that dedicated staff members are working hard, it's a worry (to me at least) that they are carrying out work that I would personally be done by professionals. The Notts lot can set sounds routes and problems, and that and a bit of decorating is all that they should really be doing – for their own safety as well as the public's.

I wish them all the best of luck but in the time they've been shut I've found it's worth the drive from Notts to Stoke for a decent bouldering session (even midweek) and so Notts have missed out on my membership renewal (due in Sept) and Stoke have earned it.

I hope I can eat my words/proverbial hat some time in the future, but for now I'm just really gutted that the whole opening/closing/unfinished fiasco has overshadowed and (to be honest, ruined a bit) what was a super centre.
 Oceanic 17 Oct 2010
In reply to tga62:

From Facebook

"The climbing centre is aiming to open a week on monday thats the 25th of October, we have nearly finished all construction work, so its a case of setting lots of routes and boulders then letting you guys in! If there is any chance of us opening earlier then it will be post on facebook and on our website so please keep checking"
 winhill 18 Oct 2010
In reply to The Flying Egyptian:
>
> I hope I can eat my words/proverbial hat some time in the future, but for now I'm just really gutted that the whole opening/closing/unfinished fiasco has overshadowed and (to be honest, ruined a bit) what was a super centre.

Sounds like Stoke deserves you.
 Offwidth 18 Oct 2010

Another poster who knows more than the H&S inspectors!? If the work is unsafe it won't open.
 williamsf1 18 Oct 2010

Have you climbed at the works? That has been mostly built and rebuilt by sam and percy and their handy man. Im sure nottingham redid the arch themselves that time, i bet you had a swing on that.

I can't wait for Notts to re open, and i dont mind at all that they have been closed for a bit, i have gone elsewehere for a bit but ill certainly go back to notts as its an awesome centre with awesome fun staff.

jeys, people are so pathetic
Animal 19 Oct 2010
In reply to The Flying Egyptian: You're prepared to drive to Stoke for a spot of bouldering????? Jeepers!

Or maybe you keep a Harrier in your back yard!
 winhill 20 Oct 2010
In reply to tga62:

Back open 10am Saturday 23rd October according to the web site.

http://www.nottingham-climbing.co.uk/html/ncc.htm
 Koala 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Animal: they are cheap government surplus now!
 pebblespanker 21 Oct 2010
In reply to winhill:

Just looked and it appears to say closed until further notice - I may be having (another) senior moment though so bets check yourselves!
 Offwidth 21 Oct 2010
In reply to winhill:

I got an email to that effect...open saturday. Will meet the people working there tonight.
punter 28 Oct 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Before I make the trip down to the new new wall just wondered whats the crack with the new wall ? How much of it is now available for climbing (any leading yet ?) and how much extra bouldering is there now its re-opened ?
 Offwidth 08 Nov 2010
In reply to punter: Climbed for the first time last Thursday. Lynn and I really enjoyed it: great problems. Didn't put a rope on due to being a bit late but the tower and walls behind it are available as is a group room for easy stuff. Obviously when the remaining bouldering and main lead wall are open it will be a lot better. Comps start this Friday.
 Budge 09 Nov 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

The headwall is open now, some really good routes around 5a/5b - Other harder routes are available.
punter 09 Nov 2010
In reply to Budge: Are the old cellar boards up or is there any sort of training board up yet (45 degree or systems board etc...) Campus board ?
 Budge 09 Nov 2010
In reply to punter:

I dont think so but I didnt look for them as I wouldnt have used them
 Offwidth 10 Nov 2010
In reply to punter: Not yet. Would be good to let them know you are interested though: in the remaining work to be done the more pressure that goes on getting 'cellar' facilities the more likely it will be done quicker!

Big lead wall was only partially (2/3) open last night, btw.
punter 10 Nov 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Cheers, have asked about training boards in the past but I guess that it is low priority at the moment as getting the lead wall/main bouldering completed takes priority as this draws in more customers (make good business sense). Nevermind.
 pebblespanker 10 Nov 2010
In reply to punter:

Was down Monday night, asked Mr Bolger what was the crack with Matts old cellar boards - he said he still has the wood but the new bouldering cave/training room will be different to the old cellar apparently... We asked when it would be open but he did not supply a date. New venue is starting to look good
 Keendan 11 Nov 2010
In reply to tga62:

I've just been and I really like it.
Not bothered about the swimming pool. It's pretty cool to have a change from old churches and school.

In the end it's just climbing which is what I went for. The bouldering area has some cool shapes. The lead wall was a bit limited but has a decent overhang section.

Only point is the harder routes are very reachy. Fine for me, but a it harsh on people <5'6 ish
 staceyjg 12 Nov 2010
In reply to tga62:

I'm thinking of heading to Nottingham wall on sunday, obviously with the recent thread I'd like to check a couple of things first:

1) is it actually open permanently now?
2) I go for the bouldering, is there as much quantity wise and variation wise, and what is the quality like? Someone mentioned it's reachy for 5'6" people, both my partner and I are under 5'3", will we be wasting our time?
3) Would you recommend giving it a go or waiting for it to find it's feet a little longer and maybe try again in a couple of months?

Thankyou in advance.

Stacey
punter 12 Nov 2010
In reply to Budge: I have been a couple of time since it has re-opened and whilst I dont doubt the saftey aspect of the work it just doesnt deliver for me.

If you go to the works, foundry, awsome walls you just get more for you money, they are clean, finished and there is much more climbing available at these other venues (price wise it is all much the same). I was really looking forward to the new centre opening but can help being dissapointed, the bouldering area is just not that good, there are no training facilities, the leading is still short and limited and the design means that people just hang around in the mats in the bouldering areas - it used to be cool to sit on the edge of the mats and watch, chat etc... I think we have to remember that this is a business that is providing a service.

All in all I am a bit gutted as I used to love the old place, however I have had to find new places/ways to train and I pretty much wont be going back to notts much at all.
jeff perezoso 19 Nov 2010
I went to the Nottingham wall last night and had a good climbing session, there were lots of boulder problems to go at and although I didn't get a rope on there seemed to be a lot of top rope and a reasonable amount of leading.
As for the cellar boards apparently they will deffinately be going up as soon as all the other area's are finished according to the staff last night.
Compared to a month ago the centre has really come along, I thinks its just a case of giving them another month or so and then seeing what the centre has to offer.

sidewinder 19 Nov 2010
In reply to jeff perezoso: I have also been recently and agree, since the comp (last Friday) there are now loads of problems up and plenty of space. The lead walls are also partially open, though there was sufficient bouldering that I didn't get round to using my harness. The cellar boards and campus boards are going up although I imagine this will take a while. I have also heard that they are going to try and reset quite a few non comp problems on a regular basis.
 CarbonCopy 21 Nov 2010
In reply to tga62:
I've got to echo the last couple of posts. Its taken some time but i think the new wall is now to the point where you can have a decent climb. There's plenty of bouldering to be getting on with, up to 25/30 graded problems i think it is. They've also opened up the continuous overhang round the back. I've taken my harness with me last couple of times but still not got to the point of putting it on, even though there seems plenty of roped climbs and the lead wall is now up and running. I agree it has been frustrating that the new venue wasn't ready to go on opening but I think at the end of the day the new place is already nearly on par with the previous and is still a work in progress. Keep it up guys!
 pebblespanker 22 Nov 2010
In reply to CarbonCopy:
One minor niggle is the number of currently ungraded problems/routes, as someone who follows structured training plans and like to track what achieve week to week it is a little irritating. I also note they are using client feedback to grade lead/top-rope routes - novel but surely the setter has a good idea of what they are creating????

Apart from the above the wall is rapidly developing into a decent centre again after early issues
 phatlad 27 Nov 2010
In reply to pebblespanker: Grades are a consensus, not empirical, plis how do you gauge quality without feedback.
If I set a route and give it a grade is that the correct grade, I will have my ideas but grades settle over time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...