UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Demencia Senil, 9a+, by Ramonet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ramon Julian Puigblanque on Demencia senil, 9a+, 4 kbNo rest for the wicked they say...

Ramon Julian Puigblanque, the current World Cup and European champion, has made the third ascent, after Chris Sharma and Iker Pou, of the pocket nightmare, or dream, Demencia Senil, 9a+, in the "laboratory" of Margalef, in Cataluña.

This is his fifth 9a+.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58307
 Quarryboy 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

sic is there any video footage?

and how come he beat Adam Ondra and yet he Doesn't seem to onsight many if any f8c routes
 Steve13 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Nice job Ramonet! My money is on him to make the 3rd ascent of Golpe de Estado.
 Steve13 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy: Onsighting in competitions is pretty different to onsighting out on the crag, the atmosphere and pressure must be ridiculous when your in front of a crowd. He's onsighted 4 8c's compared to ondras 15, according to 8a anyway.
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: erm.....what's he ever done on grit?

[runs for cover]
banned profile 74 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
>
>
>
> and how come he beat Adam Ondra

ondra knackered his fingers up on demencia senil so dont hold your breath for an ondra ascent
 Brendan 13 Oct 2010
In reply to beastofackworth:
I got three tendon injuries just watching the video of Iker Pou, that route looks horrible!
 Quarryboy 13 Oct 2010

I know about that but statistically Ondra should be wiping the floor with him.
 Carless 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:

True enough, but I watched them both in a World Cup recently: maybe Julian just managed to read the route better, but he looked stronger than Ondra
 Brendan 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Carless:

A lot probably depends on when they plan to be at their peak. Maybe Ramon trains specifically to peak for competitions and Ondra is more focused on doing well outdoors?

Also, indoor climbing and outdoor climbing, climbing on different angles and rock types - people have all sorts of different strengths and weaknesses. It's not as simple as just climbing at a certain grade.
In reply to Quarryboy:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
>
> I know about that but statistically Ondra should be wiping the floor with him.

since when have statistics been 100% trustworthy?
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
>
> I know about that but statistically Ondra should be wiping the floor with him.

I don't know why we bother having competitions at all really when it would be much cheaper to assume before-hand that the favourite would win, and leave it at that.
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll: if that was on facebook i would definately be clicking the like button!
mallory45 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
> >
> and how come he beat Adam Ondra and yet he Doesn't seem to onsight many if any f8c routes

Ramon has climbed a number of 9a+ routes outdoors, including the FA of Las Ramblas. But I get the impression he concentrates more on the WC circuit. If so, the real question may not be why he beat Ondra (who spent a lot of time and effort on bouldering this year). It might be how well could Ramon climb outside, if that is where he put his focus?

GDes 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy: Why should he? Ramonet is one of the strongest climbers out there, and has been for a long time. He beats Ondra in competitions, and has done a phenomenal amount of hard rock climbing. I don't think it comes as any surprise that he's done a route that Ondra couldn't do (or hasn't done yet)
 jkarran 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Quarryboy:

> and how come he beat Adam Ondra and yet he Doesn't seem to onsight many if any f8c routes

Odd question! I'm not sure I see the connection between being able to do something very specific (redpoint a route with endless swinging mono pull-ups) and how many routes at a specific grade someone has or hasn't onsighted. Some people get on with a particular route/style, others don't, that's the way it works.

Anyway, impressive effort on a disgusting route! Just watching the video has knackered my fingers

jk
MRaff 14 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Quarryboy)
> [...]
>
> since when have statistics been 100% trustworthy?

100% of the time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...